Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras
Thread started 12 Mar 2017 (Sunday) 11:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do I need a G85 or GX8? Here's my plan, what do you think?

murtaugh
299 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Abilene, Tx
Mar 12, 2017 11:14 |  #1

I've been trying to figure out what to upgrade my 50D to. Ultimately I think want that GH5(for video), but that will be a while before I can afford that, not to mention I don't think I realistically need that much camera at this point. So I was thinking the G85 w/kit lens. But now I saw some videos about the GX8 and am confused. From what I understand the GX8 is great a stills and works for video and the G85 is great for video and works at stills.

I'm wanting to get more into video, but not sure how in-depth I want to get. Most of the current video I shoot(GoPro and iPhone) is from a tripod or monopod and not be many fast moving subjects. This is why I think I can get by with the autofocus on the GX8 vs the G85.

My thought is to purchase the GX8 for the stills quality and see how much video I actually shoot. If I shoot a lot of video I'll add the GH5 to my bag and one dedicated for video and one for stills playing to their respective strengths. Or if the GX8 works enough for my video then I won't even mess with the GH5 and use the cash grow my lens kit faster and go on more adventures.

I haven't seen the GX8 in a kit so I'll order a fotodiox adapter($60) for cannon glass and start saving for my Panasonic lens collection. Which will I hope consist of the following, a 12-60 F2.8, 35-100 F2.8, 100-400F4 and short prime. I figure with these lenses and 2 bodies I'll be set for just about anything.

Does this seem like a good plan cost effective plan?

Gear List.
50D w/grip, 50 1.8 II, 28-105 3.5-4.5 II USM, 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM, 17-40 4L/USM

JBlake
Joined Apr 2012
North Carolina
Post has been edited 8 months ago by JBlake.
Mar 19, 2017 11:18 |  #2

Hello, I have the G85, and it is a lot sharper than the GX8. The GX8 is some what soft (RAW) as is the video when compared to the G85.

G85 vs GX8 photo comparison;

https://www.dpreview.c​om/reviews/canon-eos-70d/17 (external link)

G85 vs GX8 video still comparison;

https://www.dpreview.c​om ...4535&y=0.7826442898​076136 (external link)

G85 is superb at photo and video. I use Olympus lens; 12-40 2.8 Pro and the 40-150 2.8 Pro. You will not be able to use the G85/GX8 like a camcorder and no matter where you point it, and have instantaneous AF.

I do not even use AF anymore, only manual...the focus peaking is amazing with the G85 when using either the rear LCD or viewfinder for stills or video.
I can use the focus peaking via the focus ring, and follow just about any subject.

For video, if the lens has OIS but it is not the newest version of OIS from Panasonic, you will want to turn the OIS off on the lens and just use the G85's IBIS. this should eliminate unwanted jerk from the video. Turn the lens IS off for video on all non-panasonic lens for video.

The IBIS on the G85 works great with any lens. If you are going to do any run and gun type of hand held video, then buy a Panasonic lens with the newest OIS II system, I think you get like 4 or 5 stops of actual OIS.

Tons of videos on YouTube on how to best set up the G85 for video etc...good luck.

Hint: BUY THE G85.

JBlake
Joined Apr 2012
North Carolina
Mar 19, 2017 11:30 |  #3

I would not get too excited about using that adapter for your canon lens with you M4/3 sensor. I did a comparison between my G85 + Olympus 12-40 vs my former Canon 6D + 24-105L mark I. At all comparable focal lengths, the the M4/3 combo was way sharper corner to corner than the Canon full frame combo; that is why I sold my Canon gear.

You will have to buy a metabones .71x or .64x adapter to make those EF lens sharper/usefull on a M4/3 sensor. Metabones are not cheap, $650 I think.

Just sell you Canon gear and go all in with M4/3.

945 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I need a G85 or GX8? Here's my plan, what do you think?
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.