Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 18 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 14:09
Prev/next
Poll"Best time of year?"
Spring
0%
Summer
0%
Fall
100%

6 voters, 6 votes given (2 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Acadia National Park

Bonecollector
224 posts
Joined Feb 2015
Massatchusetts
Mar 18, 2017 14:09 |  #1

I want to go on a camping trip for a week at Acadia National Park. When is the "best time" to go for photography? Spring Summer Fall?
Also any tips or suggested places to go would be helpful.
Thank you!
Seth

https://www.instagram.​com/sethtrudeauphotogr​aphy/ (external link)

sponsored links
sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,161 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Montrose, CO
Mar 18, 2017 19:26 |  #2

The crowds leave by Labor Day, so after that. Fall colors may bring more crowds, however.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1external link)

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Mar 18, 2017 20:34 |  #3

I would suspect fall colors would be amazing. I enjoyed a summer visit. Be sure to watch the sunrise from Cadillac Mt. Climb a few of the trails. I did one that had re-bar hand grips in the rocks It about killed me, but the view was worth it. Descending the backside was easier.
If you can, take a few days and visit Moosehead Lake. Take a canoe trip to see the moose. Two guide tour places right in town.

flickr (external link)

FPP
Joined Aug 2009
Perrysburg, OH
Mar 18, 2017 21:20 |  #4

Summer is crowded. Spring and Fall are nice but at peak color in the Fall the park is again crowded. In addition to all the "normal" areas (Jordan Pond, Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Cadillac Mountain, Otter Point) be sure to go to the Seawall Campground area (probably better in the Fall for tidal pool life), Schoodic Peninsula, and Little Hunters Beach. I suggest Colleen Miniuk-Sperry's book "Photographing Acadia National Park: The Essential Guide to When, Where, and How". It gives best time of year, time of day, and tide for each site.

7D Mark II, 50D, 17-55 2.8 IS, 100-400L IS, 10-22, Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, EF-S 60MM f2.8 Macro, EF-S 18-55 IS, 28-135 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, 580 EX II, Gitzo GT2531EX, ARCA-SWISS Z1, RRS B2 AS II clamp, Kirk L-bracket for 7DII, Kirk L-bracket for 50D.

RealMadKiwi
65 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 18, 2017 22:28 |  #5

I'd go fall as well, it's got to be the bast time of year for awesome colours.

http://photographerbri​sbane.com (external link)
http://corporatephotog​rapherbrisbane.com (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Mar 19, 2017 03:10 |  #6

I was there last year during the week that included Independence Day. Campgrounds were full but we had pretty good isolation in our spot in KOA Woodlands. Traffic to/from the park was a bit heavy, but we were in a Jeep with the top and doors off, so even slow traffic wasn't much of a bother. Traffic in the park wasn't too bad except for the beaches and Cadillac Mountain before sunrise or sunset. Getting in-and-out of, and parking at Bar Harbor for dinner was a chore.

The scenery was nice in the summer, temperatures moderate, and we only had rain one evening (but it was a torrential downpour). But the scenery during the fall would be outstanding.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Mar 19, 2017 11:43 |  #7

Oh, forgot to mention the boat tours from Bar Harbor. There are whale tours and puffin tours if you're into wildlife, and island tours. I went to an island and hiked around awhile. Don't recall the name of it. Look for my bulb blower on the rocky shore there. I think that's where I lost it.

flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,376 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Mar 19, 2017 15:03 |  #8

Good resource at http://www.acadiamagic​.com/index.html (external link).

Spring is quiet, not too much in the way of crowds since kids are in school. Lots of wildflowers and trees in bloom as well. Having said that the park is within a day drive of a ton of people (supposedly 50 million) so weekends can be busy any time of the year. October is good as well, kids back in school. Foliage peaks around mid-month.

Work your schedule around mid-week as best you can.

mikeearly
Joined Aug 2007
Chester, VA
Mar 19, 2017 15:33 |  #9

My daughter and her family live in Bar Harbor and I have been up there at all times of the year. My favorites are late spring - except the black flies can be terrible. The summer is ok - the weather is usually nice, but can be pretty warm, but it is very crowded. Fall is fantastic and the peak color is usually around Columbus Day, plus or minus a couple of weeks. I have photos I like from every month of the year :)

In terms of places it is pretty hard to not find something to work with any time of the year. From beautiful sunrises and sunset from atop Cadillac Mt. to harbor shots to the lighthouse to the flowers to .... well you get the idea.

Mike Early
http://www.mdephoto.co​mexternal link

Bonecollector
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Feb 2015
Massatchusetts
Mar 20, 2017 18:18 |  #10

Awesome! Thank you everyone for the help! If you have something to add feel free to do so. Thank you!
Seth

https://www.instagram.​com/sethtrudeauphotogr​aphy/ (external link)

flyfisher
Goldmember
1,038 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Ma, USA
Mar 27, 2017 04:57 |  #11

Fall is a great time any where in New England, if you main interest is photographing the fall colors there are web sites with estimated peak times but usually anytime in October will be a safe bet. If your planning on Columbus day weekend make sure you have reservations ahead of time as places fill up early. The Precipice is a nice fall hike there are a couple of beautiful overlooks. The hike is moderate to advanced do to some metal ladders that are embedded in the rock face. these are a couple photos from that trail.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Steve

sponsored links

1,286 views & 9 likes for this thread
Acadia National Park
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.