Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 30 Nov 2016 (Wednesday) 18:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Yongnou YN600-EX/YN-E3-RT Compatibility with Canon 80D

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Nov 30, 2016 18:22 |  #1

Is anyone successfully using the YN600-EX and YN-E3-RT with a Canon 80D in RF ETTL mode? I would like to be able to control four flashes in four groups via RF-based (radio) ETTL, possibly adding two PCB AB800's on YN-E3-RX's (obviously not using ETTL, but HSS/SS would be a bonus)?

I tried the Godox X1 and TT685 flashes, but while they work fine with my 70D they do not work with my 80D in RF ETTL mode.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

sponsored links
Tnelson04
155 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Boston, MA USA
Feb 15, 2017 04:25 |  #2

I just contact yongnuo about this & received the following (this is as if 2017-02-15):

"To my knowledge, none of the 600ex-rt work fully with the 80d or the 5d4. The 600ex-rt II should work fully with both cameras.

There will be a firmware update, or so I have been told, to update both the yn-e3-rt and the 600ex-rt to full compatibility with the 80d and 5d4. As of this email, there are no plans for a yn-e3-rt II that I am aware of.

Tim"

Tnelson04
155 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Boston, MA USA
Feb 15, 2017 06:24 |  #3

The question I had asked Tongnuo when I received that response was whether the AF Assist issues had been sorted out (I also threw in that I heard there were other problems).

I hope that helps clear up what that Yongnuo response was in reference too

bumpintheroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Feb 15, 2017 20:49 |  #4

I already moved on. Godox provided a new firmware for the X1T-C and it now works fine with the 80D.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

Tnelson04
155 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Boston, MA USA
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Tnelson04.
Feb 16, 2017 04:21 |  #5

Okay, glad you found something worked. For anyone else wondering about it, I followed up with yongnuo about the above email I posted.

The following is what I asked & what they responded with (the bold is yongnuo's response to KH questions directly below it):

"Yes, that is correct. It is only an ON camera issue.

Tim

Thank you for the quick response Tim.

So, if I used the original YN600EX-RT off camera & used the Canon E3-RT on my Canon 80D hotshoe will everything work correctly?

I'm taking it that the issue is the YN-E3-RT & the YN600EX-RT when used ON my cameras hotshoe.

Can you confirm or further explain this?

- Tyler"

bumpintheroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Feb 16, 2017 08:42 as a reply to Tnelson04's post |  #6

No idea. Never owned a Canon or Yongnou ST-3

Tnelson04
155 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Boston, MA USA
Feb 16, 2017 09:10 |  #7

No sorry I wasn't asking a question to the forum. It was a question I asked yongnuo & I posted my question & their response here for any that would need it

LoneRider
Joined Dec 2010
Marysville, WA.
Feb 23, 2017 20:01 |  #8

I recently picked up a 5D4 and was dismayed to find it wouldn't work with my YN600EX-RT and YN-E3-RT.

I upgraded all units to the latest firmware, and while it did still give an error (incompatible unit) when trying to change settings via the camera menu, the settings did change and everything worked. Chaning setting on the flash or the transmitter worked fine with no errors.

Same-same on my M5.

I have since picked up a YN600-EX-RT II and a newer YN-E3-RT (Dec 2016 build) and they work without the errors.

~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
GEAR LIST

Tnelson04
155 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Boston, MA USA
Feb 24, 2017 05:40 as a reply to LoneRider's post |  #9

Thank you for your input. I actually bit the bullet & ordered a new YN-E3-RT Transmitter & YN600EX-RT II Flash as well. The transmitter came in last night & the flash should be in next week.

I will test them with my Canon 80D & let this thread know the result.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,756 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Feb 24, 2017 05:52 |  #10

Just wondering... Is the a true 'doesn't work' issue? Or just an 'error' message issue? When I use my YN-622 units on the 80D, I get error the error message 'no flash mounted', but everything works just fine. I've tried several combinations of (ALL, A:B, A:B,C) with individual and multiple flashes. Everything works. I just get a stupid error message every time I change settings. That can be side-stepped by changing settings with the -TX instead of the camera.

Tom

Tnelson04
155 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Boston, MA USA
Feb 28, 2017 21:04 |  #11

My YN-E3-RT Transmitter & YN600EX-RT II flash finally came in & I was able to test it wit's my Canon 80D.

First off the transmitter had a manufacturing date of July 2016 & I did not update to the newest firmware, but it worked just fine mounted on 80D Hotshoe. I did all my flash settings/controls through the transmitter (not the 80D menus) & it synced up just fine with the YN600EX-RT II (manufacturer date of December 2016) & fired & controlled the flash just fine in manual mode (it's the only mode of fired my test shots on).

Also of note is that AF Assist Beam on the transmitter worked perfectly every time. Based off of this I think I may purchase about YN600EX-RT II.

If anyone has any questions feel free to let me know.

accord
157 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Hong Kong SAR
Post has been edited 8 months ago by accord.
Mar 20, 2017 03:36 |  #12

My report here.

Finally I upgraded to 80D from 7D. My YN-E3-RT and 3 YN600EX RTs were bought before June 2016. I have update firmware to their latest versions.

The 80D + YN-E3-RT + one YN600EX work fine in group A mode.
The 80D + YN-E3-RT + two YN600EX over expose in groups A & B mode.

The YN-E3-RT, or YN600EX mounted does not have focus beam emitted.
Before firmware update, with the YN-E3-RT mounted, 80D has error message of incompatible flash. After updated to the latest firmware (v1.23), the error message goes away.

The combination as before works fine on my M2 and 7D and as before does not fire any light with my M3.

Has no mood to try the other combinations.

Should I buy another new YN-E3-RT manufactured after July 2016 or buy the Canon version?

accord
157 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Hong Kong SAR
Apr 13, 2017 03:09 |  #13

Just bought a Canon 430EXIII. Use it as master with my other 3 YN600EX with firmware 1.9.

On my M3 body, everything works fine. It is my first time to have group mode RF flash on this body. Previously I have no hope with solely YN products.

On my 80D body, one YN600EX works differently with overexposed light when using it as ETTL slave. The other two work fine. Using 80D, I can observe that the time sequence of light coming out from the flashes are much faster than that when using M3. I think this is the reason one YN flash cannot keep up with the control of 430 and overexposed.

To my surprise is that the 430 EX III is way easier to control than the YN-E3-RT as a master. It is just heavier.

accord
157 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Hong Kong SAR
Apr 18, 2017 07:38 |  #14

Found that YN600EX-RT has posted new firmware 1.9.1. Updated the problematic YN600EX-RT with this new firmware. Tested on M3 and 80D again. The systems with 430 EX-III RT as master and three YN600EX-RTs work as intended.

So my old YN600EXs only loss master and focus assist light capabilities and are fine as RT slaves.

Will wait for the firmware update of my old YNe3RT.

sponsored links

4,569 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yongnou YN600-EX/YN-E3-RT Compatibility with Canon 80D
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.