Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 06 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 11:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

YongNuo 622c & Multiple Cameras

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,904 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Jun 06, 2013 11:40 |  #1

When my partner and I shoot wedding receptions we put 2 flashes on stands with 622's, and have a flash on camera as well. We tried this setup this past weekend but couldn't get it to work with 2 cameras.

We tried setting his camera to fire ch 1 and mine to fire ch 2, and set the two ocf to CH1 & CH2. We couldn't get this to work with both cameras. Does anyone know if this set up will work?

Gear
Websiteexternal link

sponsored links
v35skyline
Goldmember
3,567 posts
Joined Apr 2007
San Diego, CA
Jun 06, 2013 12:49 |  #2

If I understand the way the YN-622c works, then C1 and C2 are both lit, that indicates the tranceiver is on the 4th channel. It does not mean it can be fired by a YN-622c on C1 and another on C2.

From how I understand...

C1 lit = Channel 1 (same for C2 and C3, respectively)
C1 + C2 lit = Channel 4
C1 + C3 = Channel 5
C2 + C3 = Channel 6
C1 + C2 + C3 = Channel 7

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure how the YN-622c works. I wonder if it can detect what mode to be in (transmitter or receiver). If the YN-622c can detect it is on a camera and be set to a transmitter only mode, that would be cool. So all transceivers would be on the same channel and when you fire your shutter/flashes, your partner's on-camera flash isn't triggered because the YN-622c it's on is acting only as a transmitter.

I only have one camera (and it's not even in front of me), so I can't really test this out...would be curious to know the outcome, though.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

tagnal
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Bay Area, CA
Jun 06, 2013 16:58 |  #3

From CliveyBoy's TOYUG:

Two-Shooter Setup (John UK technique)
A second shooter can share augmenting flashes. There is a problem – preventing the zooming and firing of the other camera’s on-top flash.
· Camera 1 set to E-TTL or Manual, and Firing Group A:B at some ratio/power.
· On-camera 622 set to Remote mode and Group C, with an on-top flash.
· Camera 2 set up the same.
· Enhancing flash stand with remote 622 set to Group B, plus flash.
· When either camera takes a shot, it's on-top flash is treated as Group A, the augmenting flash as Group B, and the other camera as Group C. Group C is not enabled in Firing Group A:B, so does not fire.

http://photography-on-the.net ...hp?p=14791737&postc​ount=1

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Tauranga, NZ
Jun 08, 2013 01:12 |  #4

v35skyline wrote in post #16005955external link
If I understand the way the YN-622c works, then C1 and C2 are both lit, that indicates the tranceiver is on the 4th channel. It does not mean it can be fired by a YN-622c on C1 and another on C2.
C1 lit = Channel 1 (same for C2 and C3, respectively)
C1 + C2 lit = Channel 4
C1 + C3 = Channel 5
C2 + C3 = Channel 6
C1 + C2 + C3 = Channel 7

Correct.

I wonder if it can detect what mode to be in (transmitter or receiver).

The YN-622C is always in Receiver mode, except when on a camera AND on camera startup, flash control menus open, quick panel open, or 1/2-shutter. So, at other times it is a receiver and the on-top flash acts as a remote using the group setting on its 622.

John UK's solution is the right configuration for two photog's using shared augmenting lighting.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

ShotByTom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,904 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Jun 08, 2013 09:02 |  #5

Thanks so much for the responses, I was pretty sure it was possible, just not sure how to do it so I'll give this a try.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,695 posts
Joined Oct 2006
NYC
Jun 08, 2013 23:45 as a reply to ShotByTom's post |  #6

I purchased these last week and tested them out at a wedding. Wished I read this before hand! I had a second shooter with me and we were having some mysterious flash exposure issues. Turns out we were triggering each other's on-camera flashes. Hahaha. Anyways, we temporarily solved it by changing channels on the off-camera lighting and using one of each.

I finally got to test the "workaround" at home and while at first it was a little difficult to understand how things exactly worked, I managed to get it working.

Example scenario:
2 x 5D3+YN-622+600EX
1 x YN-622 + 600EX on a light stand.

• YN-622 that is mounted on the 5D3 uses Group C.
  • Via the 5D3's flash menu, set it to fire for A:B.
  • YN-622 that is on the light stand is set to Group B.
So I am guessing that the YN-622 that is on the 5D3 is receiving on C and transmitting on A & B. Since nothing is "listening" for Group C, nothing is fired. Same with Group A, at least radio-wise. According to the document, the speedlight that is mounted on top of the YN-622 that is mounted on the 5D3 will be Group A. (?)

Something like that? :lol:

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Tauranga, NZ
Jun 09, 2013 00:04 |  #7

To repeat post #3:

When either camera takes a shot, it's on-top flash is treated as Group A, the augmenting flash as Group B, and the other camera as Group C. Group C is not enabled in Firing Group A:B, so does not fire.

Each on-top flash is handled as group A by its own camera; its flash head is considered to be the light-emitting component of the "Master Flash". The 622C is the Master.

When the transmitting flash is idle, it is a receiver. Each on-top flash then reacts to a fire instruction from another camera. If the 622 on the other camera is set to group \C, and the current camera is set to firing group A:B, then a group C flash will not fire.

This is all standard Canon, plus the effect of momentary change of the 622C to transmitter state.

Read TOYUG p.10 - see link in my signature.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,695 posts
Joined Oct 2006
NYC
Jun 09, 2013 09:31 as a reply to CliveyBoy's post |  #8

OK, so I have things working where 2 shooters can use the remote OCF and not trigger eachother's on-camera flashes.

Is it accurate to say that in this scenario, there can really only be one OCF group since A is on-camera flash and C is off-limits (so that on-camera flash doesn't get triggered)?

Another question is say shooter #1 adjusts the power on the OCF from the camera. Let's say he dials in -2 FEC. When shooter #2 shoots, will this still take effect or would whatever shooter #2 has set the camera to, for example +1 EC take effect?

**Figured this out myself. It works as expected. Camera #1 & #2 retain whatever flash power values they have.

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

deltroid
Joined Apr 2007
Porto Alegre, RS - Brazil
Mar 20, 2017 09:39 as a reply to nicksan's post |  #9

I'm having the same issues, but I'm not getting the same results by following the "John UK technique". And here's why...

I'll use nicksan's example scenario:

2 x 5D3+YN-622+600EX
1 x YN-622 + 600EX on a light stand.

Both YN-622's mounted on a 5D3 are set to Group C...BUT....when you set the 5D3s' in camera flash menu to fire for groups A:B only, the YN-622 automatically changes itself to group B. And if I change the group on the YN-622 back to group C, the in-camera flash menu automatically changes itself to fire for groups A:B C.

This totally ruins the solution for me, because I cannot keep the YN-622's on camera set to group C.

Also, I prefer to use all YN-622's in MIX CONTROL MODE, which allows me to independently change settings to each flash without influencing the others.

For example:

1 x 5D3+YN-622+600EX set to E-TTL
1 x 5D3+YN-622+600EX set to MANUAL (1/64)
1 x YN-622 + 600EX on a light stand set to MANUAL (1/32).

Can anyone shed some light...?

5D mk III | 5D mk II |Canon 15 f/2.8 fishy | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Sigma 35 1.4 ART | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 135 f/2L | 580 EX II | Yn-600Ex-RT
Faytography
 (external link)

deltroid
Joined Apr 2007
Porto Alegre, RS - Brazil
Post has been edited 4 months ago by deltroid.
Mar 20, 2017 10:04 |  #10

Ok, so I did some more testing, and it turns out it does work...I just had to get a deeper understanding of the YN-622's.

I repeated all the steps in my previous post, to set everything up.

This is what I learned: Even though selecting to fire only groups A:B in the in-camera menu changes the group on the YN-622 from C to B automatically, once you half-press the shutter button on one of the cameras (which are now in group B according to the YN-622 mounted on it), the YN-622 on the other camera automatically goes to group C and does NOT fire. Yay! :-D

That's very clever, but very complex.

Wouldn't it be easier just to allow the receiving YN-622 (with the flash on lightstand, for example) to be in two channels or two groups at once?

Anyhow, I love this forum, and this is one of the main reasons why...it's an amazing source of knowledge.

Thanks!

5D mk III | 5D mk II |Canon 15 f/2.8 fishy | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Sigma 35 1.4 ART | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 135 f/2L | 580 EX II | Yn-600Ex-RT
Faytography
 (external link)

sponsored links

1,494 views & 0 likes for this thread
YongNuo 622c & Multiple Cameras
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.