Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 08 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 02:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II with 2x EF Extender III

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 8 days ago by Choderboy.
Mar 15, 2017 06:16 |  #16

I found a Sigma EX APO DG 2X is just slightly better than a Canon 2X TCIII. Slightly sharper, slightly more contrast.

Full image

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8890/18185219581_f1bc718804_o.jpg

Crop

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8810/17563464983_29d9434749_o.jpg

With Sigma 2X and EF 1.4TCII: (3411 pixel wide crop of 4896 pixels original)
IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/409/18750603893_a638d518f9_o.jpg

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

nero_design
Joined Nov 2012
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 8 days ago by nero_design.
Mar 15, 2017 06:23 |  #17

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Blue-Sky Moon at Sundown. Location: Sydney, NSW Australia - Taken in JPEG - uncropped - Moon is unedited (APS-C camera)
Canon EOS-M + EF 100-400mm f/4.6-5.6L IS II USM lens + EF 2x III Extender

The Blue-Moon above was taken just as the sun was setting so there was some blue in the sky overhead. I snapped this image quickly because clouds were moving in as I was setting up to take this picture - so I didn't expect to keep this picture and it's not ideally exposed. This picture utilized just the EF 2x III Extender on the 100-400mmL lens @ 400mm. The moon image hasn't been edited or sharpened... I only had to tweak the blue tones very slightly to prevent banding when uploading.... for some reason the blue hue triggered some odd behavior when uploading to other sites. A tripod was used for each of these images. A monopod was used to support the weight of the camera in the Ibis and Lizard pictures above.
Now the picture below was a bit of an experiment where I used BOTH the 1.4x III and 2x III extenders together. By now the sun had truly set and the sky was black. If stacked in the following way - ( Lens + 2x + 12mm ET + 1.4x + Camera), then the camera will only identify one microprocessor in the EF Extenders and will ignore the fact that there are two Extenders mounted together. The shot below was taken with an APS-C camera (the EOS-M mirrorless camera from Canon). So the added 1.61x of the crop factor of the APS-C sensor meant the lens array added up to a rather amazing 1800mm+ focal length. The uncropped and mildly processed image can be seen below.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Half Moon. Location: Sydney, NSW Australia - Taken in JPEG - uncropped - (APS-C camera).
Canon EOS-M + EF 100-400mm f/4.6-5.6L IS II USM lens + EF 2x III Extender + Canon ETEF 12II Extension Tube + EF 1.4x III Extender

I think the Extenders serve a purpose. They are an alternative to spending obscene amounts of money when you only need to take the occasional image at higher magnifications. I think the Canon Extenders are vastly superior to the non-Canon brands when comparing the Mark III series... but they are accordingly fairly expensive. The quality of their build is superb. On my 100-400mmL II lens the Extenders still allowed use of the excellent Image Stabilizer.

DSMS
Mostly Lurking
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 16, 2017 17:42 |  #18

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18121036 (external link)
Welcome to the forum! First of all, the 100-400 II is a fabulous lens. You will enjoy it very much. Second, it won't focus with the 2x extender except in Live View, and even that doesn't work very well. However, on your 7D2, you can use the 1.4x extender and get auto focusing at the center focus point. I've taken many pictures using that combination. Image quality is excellent. I think if you return the 2x extender and get the 1.4x, you'll be very satisfied.

An example (7D2 + 1.4x III + 100-400 II):
QUOTED IMAGE

Question:

I have the 100-400L and a Tamron 2x converter (used it on the 7D and currently on the 7DII), used only for shooting the moon, and in live view (where it hunts for ages before finding focus).

Now, do you know if the 1.4x converter will allow me to autofocus with the 100-400 Mk1?

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Mar 20, 2017 11:12 |  #19

nero_design wrote in post #18301430 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by nero_design in
./showthread.php?p=183​01430&i=i170645983
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Blue-Sky Moon at Sundown. Location: Sydney, NSW Australia - Taken in JPEG - uncropped - Moon is unedited (APS-C camera)
Canon EOS-M + EF 100-400mm f/4.6-5.6L IS II USM lens + EF 2x III Extender

The Blue-Moon above was taken just as the sun was setting so there was some blue in the sky overhead. I snapped this image quickly because clouds were moving in as I was setting up to take this picture - so I didn't expect to keep this picture and it's not ideally exposed. This picture utilized just the EF 2x III Extender on the 100-400mmL lens @ 400mm. The moon image hasn't been edited or sharpened... I only had to tweak the blue tones very slightly to prevent banding when uploading.... for some reason the blue hue triggered some odd behavior when uploading to other sites. A tripod was used for each of these images. A monopod was used to support the weight of the camera in the Ibis and Lizard pictures above.
Now the picture below was a bit of an experiment where I used BOTH the 1.4x III and 2x III extenders together. By now the sun had truly set and the sky was black. If stacked in the following way - ( Lens + 2x + 12mm ET + 1.4x + Camera), then the camera will only identify one microprocessor in the EF Extenders and will ignore the fact that there are two Extenders mounted together. The shot below was taken with an APS-C camera (the EOS-M mirrorless camera from Canon). So the added 1.61x of the crop factor of the APS-C sensor meant the lens array added up to a rather amazing 1800mm+ focal length. The uncropped and mildly processed image can be seen below.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by nero_design in
./showthread.php?p=183​01430&i=i72234252
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Half Moon. Location: Sydney, NSW Australia - Taken in JPEG - uncropped - (APS-C camera).
Canon EOS-M + EF 100-400mm f/4.6-5.6L IS II USM lens + EF 2x III Extender + Canon ETEF 12II Extension Tube + EF 1.4x III Extender

I think the Extenders serve a purpose. They are an alternative to spending obscene amounts of money when you only need to take the occasional image at higher magnifications. I think the Canon Extenders are vastly superior to the non-Canon brands when comparing the Mark III series... but they are accordingly fairly expensive. The quality of their build is superb. On my 100-400mmL II lens the Extenders still allowed use of the excellent Image Stabilizer.

Whoa! Fantastic moon shots! Great job and thanks for the detailed write up.

For myself, I'm interested in using the 100-400 II & 1.4xIII with the 1DXII for aircraft in flight photography.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,448 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
8 hours ago as a reply to Perfectly Frank's post |  #20

That combination works well with my 1DX Mk1 so it should be fine with your 1DX Mk2.

The AF will slow a little but Aircraft will not be a challenge for it!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

2,329 views & 9 likes for this thread
EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II with 2x EF Extender III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.