Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 20 Mar 2017 (Monday) 14:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 6D shutter RIP after 2 years, should I repair? Check my sensor pics in enclosure.

Philippe_Peignoir
26 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Philippe_Peignoir.
Mar 20, 2017 14:12 |  #1

My shutter broke down after 2 years and 20 days, just out of warranty :(
The repair company did a quick look and saw some scratches on the sensor and sent me the pics.

I could decide to repair it and pay $250, or leave it there and pay nothing, then they would use it for spare-parts.

Today I received 2 pictures of the sensor.
I asked a luxury sensor cleaning, i'm not sure if those pics where taken before the sensorclean or if this still has to be done.
But the picture below shows a lot of dust.

So this is a picture of the CCD, I thought they would send me a test-picture for example at f2.8 & f8
What would be the big circles on the first picture, dust ? Strange that they are so big.

Should I replace the shutter ?
Or won't I see this much in practice, I mostly shoot wide open f1.2-f2.8 and at f8 maximum.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6D - 16-35 f4L - 50 1.4 Art - 85L - 135 f2L - 70-200 2.8L

sponsored links
Mathmans
Joined Apr 2014
Mar 21, 2017 03:46 |  #2

Those big spots on the first picture look like cleaning fluid residuals. It's hard to say if those tiny black marks are scratches or just leftovers from bad cleaning.
Did you ever cleaned or touched the sensor? If not how those scrathes were made? The glass in front of the sensor is not as delicate as someone might think. It won't scratch just like that. And final question - do you trust the repair company?
If you shoot up to f8 you probably won't see any spots or scratches (if those are scratches) on the photos. When I test the sensor for dust before cleaning I usually shoot at f16 to see the spots.
For sure I would not leave them the camera.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Mar 21, 2017 04:00 |  #3

To be honest, I smell something fishy... If the shutter were indeed broken, how do they take photos so nicely of the "scratches"?
Something doesn't add up, if it were me, I'd ask they do no (more) work on the camera and they send it back.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Mar 21, 2017 05:50 |  #4

Do you have two log-ins???

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​294996

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Mar 21, 2017 05:55 |  #5

Philippe_Peignoir wrote in post #18306089 (external link)
The repair company did a quick look and saw some scratches on the sensor and sent me the pics.

I could decide to repair it and pay $250, or leave it there and pay nothing, then they would use it for spare-parts.

I asked a luxury sensor cleaning, i'm not sure if those pics where taken before the sensorclean or if this still has to be done.

So this is a picture of the CCD, I thought they would send me a test-picture for example at f2.8 & f8
What would be the big circles on the first picture, dust ? Strange that they are so big.

Or won't I see this much in practice, I mostly shoot wide open f1.2-f2.8 and at f8 maximum.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Philippe_Peignoir in
./showthread.php?p=183​06089&i=i255630513
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

CanonYouCan wrote in post #18291010 (external link)
My waranty of 2 years was just over, and 20 days later bingo... just like that Canon measured it perfectly not having to give waranty :(
Since 2 years I use it for HDR photography (3 pics at once), I didn't check the shuttercount.

At carnaval I took a serie of pics fast (I always select the multiple pic option) and suddenly I saw a black line in my sensor, it was one of the shutterblades that got loose :(
I sent it in for repair, it would cost me around €270 + €35 for a "luxurous sensor cleaning".

The guy from the repairstore called me allready 3 hours after he received my 6D by post and he said he thinks there are some scratches on the sensor.
He will take pictures and email them to me, then I can decide to pay for the repair, or if it isn't worth anymore I can leave it there and then I don't need to pay for the repair and they use it for spare parts.
Strange that they use secondhand parts for other repairs.
Also it's difficult to know if they send the pictures of my cam, they can as well send them from another cam...

Anyone else had to repair his shutter also and how was the state afterwards, any visible scratches on your sensor and disturbing ?
He said if there would be scratches it would be most noticable at higher apertures.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Patbil10
Joined Apr 2014
Aylmer, Quebec
Mar 21, 2017 09:28 |  #6

Get the camera back ASAP ! How was your image quality just prior to shutter breaking ? If it was OK then I'm sure you're being scammed. Really unfortunate... -?

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8, CanonEF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35A,Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon 580ex II, Canon 430EX II and other stuff... https://www.flickr.com​/photos/bilodeaup/albu​ms (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,527 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Mar 23, 2017 22:30 |  #7

Philippe_Peignoir wrote in post #18306089 (external link)

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Philippe_Peignoir in
./showthread.php?p=183​06089&i=i255630513
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Just what is a luxury sensor cleaning and how does it differ from a non luxury cleaning? How much did it cost? To my mind they either clean the sensor or they don't. I've never heard of two levels of cleaning.

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

sponsored links

1,097 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon 6D shutter RIP after 2 years, should I repair? Check my sensor pics in enclosure.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.