Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 20 Mar 2017 (Monday) 01:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

40D Corner focus points unreliable

RedGoblinz
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Mar 20, 2017 01:46 |  #1

As you can see form the pictures uploaded, the 40D often focuses on the background behind the subject (actual focus point selected is circled in black). At first I thought it might be because the some of the objects are a bit small, but it happens to big subjects as well.

These subjects are not really fast moving, and this is in bright conditions.

I use back-button focusing, lens is Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 for these pictures uploaded, however I do remember this happening to my previous lens, 50mm 1.8 II which I thought was causing these problems. AF mode was single shot.

Also another thing, sometimes if I focus and lock onto a still object, take a picture, and then ask the 40D to focus again, it shifts the focus and results in either a clearer or more blur picture, depending on luck, is this normal?

Hopefully some help can be given as this issue of bad focus is really discouraging for me, seeing so many oof photos with simple subjects.

Thank you.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,495 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Mar 20, 2017 05:05 |  #2

Does this apply to all focus points or one particular one? From your two samples, I presume it's at least to two of them?
Does it apply to the center point as well? On the 40D, it's only the center point that has the longer base line, which helps setting focus correctly when using large apertures. Like f/2.8 and larger.

The reason for the problem could be one (or more) out of several, so it's difficult to tell. Since the 40D doesn't support micro adjustments, there's not much you can do if calibration is required.
Try to make sure there's not dust/fluff in the mirror box, in the light path for the AF sensor.

Anders

RedGoblinz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post has been edited 1 month ago by RedGoblinz.
Mar 20, 2017 05:10 as a reply to apersson850's post |  #3

I have pictures where the top 3 have this problem, and the right side one. I hardly use the bottom points.

If I'm not wrong I think it also happened for the centre point at least once.

Should I try to clean out the mirror box/af sensor with some air?
Any other suggestions to test if this is an issue with the 40D or my technique? Though I remember often the point is on the subject when it blinks red, but yet focused the background.

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Mar 20, 2017 15:04 |  #4

The outer points on the 40D are not cross type, they are either horizontal or vertical points... and in low contrast settings they fall down even if they confirm.

The 50D has all cross type points and a larger back display, and micro focus adjust.

If you find yourself using outer point's a lot for focusing, then it would be better to get a camera with all cross point and better af, or one that has outer cross points and you can turn off all non cross points.

Otherwise, if you need to keep the 40D, after cleaning, I would only use the center point on the 40D, and focus re-compose.. with the caveat that you aren't trying to do really shallow dof shots.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,495 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Mar 21, 2017 16:17 |  #5

ksbal wrote in post #18306148 (external link)
The outer points on the 40D are not cross type, they are either horizontal or vertical points...

Oh yes they are. You describe the 30D and 400D, which share the same AF sensor.
The 40D was Canon's first with all points being cross type, and the center point also being a fully cross type with f/2.8 high precision point.

Anders

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Mar 27, 2017 16:49 as a reply to apersson850's post |  #6

Interesting, I had always thought the 40D didn't have outer cross points.. I must have misread that somewhere. If it does, and the glass falls in that larger than f5.6 when trying to focus, then I'm thinking there are af issues with the camera hardware.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
Joined Dec 2005
Pittsburgh PA
Mar 27, 2017 16:58 |  #7

any pics using Canon DPP to show where the active focus point locked to. that first image looks like it focused on the trees in the background. the 2nd pic looks like it focused on the girl behind who you circled

My gear
Canon 7D Mark II, Tokina 12-28 F4 AT-x Pro, Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art, Sigma 50 1.4 EX, Sigma 17-50 2.8OS, Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2, Sigma 150-600 C, Shanny SN600C flash, Tascam DR-05 v2

RedGoblinz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Apr 07, 2017 23:26 as a reply to 05Xrunner's post |  #8

That's my point haha. The circles are where the points were on and said it locked on. I tried again in my room the, and the corner points locked​ on the correct (small) subjects as far as I can tell.

Not too sure what's going on here. Or is this a common issue with others as well?

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
37,871 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 18 days ago by Wilt.
Apr 08, 2017 00:37 |  #9

05Xrunner wrote in post #18312575 (external link)
any pics using Canon DPP to show where the active focus point locked to. that first image looks like it focused on the trees in the background. the 2nd pic looks like it focused on the girl behind who you circled

Any pics using Canon DPP show the AF POINT(s) ACTIVE at time of focus, but do not show the SUBJECT upon which focus was measured, so that the illuminated points may lie on the wrong object when any degree of recomposing of the frame has occurred.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,495 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Apr 08, 2017 14:09 |  #10

Yes, and then add that the AF points are larger than the boxes that represent them, and sometimes not perfectly aligned with the boxes either.

Anders

sponsored links

1,280 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D Corner focus points unreliable
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.