Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Feb 19, 2017 09:59 |  #6646

If you can do manual flash shooting, NOW is the time to get a FP360....$299

https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfsl360k1.html?Ema​ilPrice=T (external link)

:eek:

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links
SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Feb 19, 2017 11:17 |  #6647

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18278332 (external link)
If you can do manual flash shooting, NOW is the time to get a FP360....$299

https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfsl360k1.html?Ema​ilPrice=T (external link)

:eek:

I can afford to wait until next Black Friday deal when I can get the TTL version for just $50 more and the Manual version for about $50 less. This is still a good deal for those who can't wait that long.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Feb 19, 2017 13:17 |  #6648

What does this mean from Adorama? That transmitter are they talking about

Note
You can now use this strobe in HIGH SPEED SYNC mode with our new High Speed Sync transmitter for Nikon or Canon!!!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
46,965 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 4 edits done in total.
Feb 19, 2017 19:18 |  #6649

It's the flash point version of the "Cells II" which can do HSS using the 433Mhz wireless receivers included with the manual FP360.

https://www.adorama.co​m/fprrr1trc.html (external link)

The standard trigger that comes with them free can not do HSS.

If you do not plan on upgrading to the 2.4Ghz system, it's a nice tool. You can use Cells II to trigger camera shutters as well.

If you do want to incorporate into the 2.4Ghz, instead you buy a transmitter (X1, XT32, or XT-16 note XT-16 can not do HSS) AND the 2.4Ghz usb dongles for the FP360.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

jlafferty
44 posts
Joined Feb 2017
NYC
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by jlafferty. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 19, 2017 20:28 |  #6650

Only seen it cheaper than this once, $279.95 :O

Bought mine at $310.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/OG2hHwW.jpg

Current Portfolio (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Feb 19, 2017 20:56 |  #6651

For $30 more its also really worth considering the AD200 at this stage.

FLASHHAVOC.COMexternal link

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Feb 20, 2017 06:00 |  #6652

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18278787 (external link)
It's the flash point version of the "Cells II" which can do HSS using the 433Mhz wireless receivers included with the manual FP360.

https://www.adorama.co​m/fprrr1trc.html (external link)

The standard trigger that comes with them free can not do HSS.

If you do not plan on upgrading to the 2.4Ghz system, it's a nice tool. You can use Cells II to trigger camera shutters as well.

If you do want to incorporate into the 2.4Ghz, instead you buy a transmitter (X1, XT32, or XT-16 note XT-16 can not do HSS) AND the 2.4Ghz usb dongles for the FP360.

Thanks Jake :)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Feb 20, 2017 06:01 |  #6653

elv wrote in post #18278860 (external link)
For $30 more its also really worth considering the AD200 at this stage.

The AD200 really looks sweet.. Nice and portable...

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by mmmfotografie. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 20, 2017 14:33 |  #6654

Was today on the fair were also Godox products were present. The price for the AD360 was pleasantly and in line with the price I find normal. The price was reduced by 250 euros....sadly they are a year to late with it and would have get me two for that price. :rolleyes:

Also handled the AD200 and it seems to be a nice product but my old two AD360 helps the AD600 I also have.

It is all happening again and you have to put down 500 euros for a AD200. Godox has went totally bonkers...again....mad raving bonkers!!!

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 20, 2017 15:55 |  #6655

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18306119 (external link)
Was today on the fair were also Godox products were present. The price for the AD360 was pleasantly and in line with the price I find normal. The price was reduced by 250 euros....sadly they are a year to late with it and would have get me two for that price. :rolleyes:

Also handled the AD200 and it seems to be a nice product but my old two AD360 helps the AD600 I also have.

It is all happening again and you have to put down 500 euros for a AD200. Godox has went totally bonkers...again....mad raving bonkers!!!

500 E?? Wow. I know that there is usually a premium in the EU because of warranty and some other things but that's way out of line with US pricing.

It could probably be purchased in the US and sent over via USPS for a lot less than that.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,717 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Yorkshire, England
Mar 20, 2017 19:49 |  #6656

dmward wrote in post #18306185 (external link)
500 E?? Wow. I know that there is usually a premium in the EU because of warranty and some other things but that's way out of line with US pricing (1).

It could probably be purchased in the US and sent over via USPS for a lot less than that. (2)

(1) T'was ever thus, David. Back in the 1960s when £1 bought US$4 (for younger readers - yes, really 4 US dollars to the £) most items simply substituted the £ sign for the $ sign and kept the numbers the same. An example - Ilford photo paper (made in UK and exported to US) was the same numerical price in UK and US. IOW, we paid 4 times as much as you did for a home-grown product. Truly weird.

(2) It's a lovely idea but it doesn't work in practice. What happens is that we pay the US price plus shipping (not cheap but grudgingly justified) plus frequently non-optional insurance (it appears that USPS International carries a non-optional insurance cost). Our beloved (???) Government apply import duty - to the product price, to the shipping cost and to the insurance cost. On top of that, they apply VAT (aka sales tax - a much more honest description as this tax certainly doesn't add value for the end user). They apply this tax to:-

• product cost (fair enough - we all have to pay taxes, much though it hurts/irks)
  • shipping cost
  • non-optional insurance cost
  • import duty. Yes, they really do apply a 20% tax to the import duty - a tax on a tax.
  • We are then charged a non-optional "admin fee" for them to collect these two taxes. Taxes we didn't want to pay in the first place but we still have to pay to have them collected :rolleyes:
  • But they haven't finished yet. There's VAT to pay on the admin fee too.
  • All the above can, and often are, also applied to gifts so you can be hit with a double tax bill for something you didn't know was being sent, whose value you don't even know and you maybe didn't even particularly want.
End result? Something which appears reasonably priced in the US suddenly becomes outrageously priced over here. BTW, guess what happens to the goods if we are unfortunate enough to require warranty repair. I'll give you a clue ....... start reading at (2) above. You couldn't even make it up; too far-fetched for belief.

Of course, we could always try smuggling but ...............:twisted:

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

jlafferty
44 posts
Joined Feb 2017
NYC
Mar 20, 2017 21:53 |  #6657

Whortleberry wrote in post #18306378 (external link)

I get that we'd all rather be out taking pictures but... what's stopping some enterprising Brit from being the UK equivalent of Cheetah? Importing, rebranding and sellings goods manufactured in China subjected to the same problematic duties/insurance/taxes​? Has anyone compared the figures of doing so against other options?

And since I'm asking... if the internet seems (to me) to be dominated by reverence for Alien Bees for years, and suddenly they're being replaced by Godox/Flashpoint, neither of which seem readily available and supported in the UK... what've y'all been shooting with all this time? :D :/

Current Portfolio (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 20, 2017 22:47 |  #6658

Whortleberry wrote in post #18306378 (external link)

Phil,
I was the European product manager for a US telecommunications company in the early 2000's.
I had to work with our European companies to import hardware and software from the US, Japan and China.
All I can say is the EU has managed to get things seriously messed up from a regulatory, tariff, and tax perspective when importing products. Especially if there is a company in the EU manufacturing a competitive product.

Asside from the bureaucracy you can probably thank Hensel and Elinchrom as well.
As for the Cheetah Stand model. Even if there were someone wanting to get into the business. The hoops they would have to jump through, along with the fees, add-on costs, etc. would probably bring the price up to about the same level. I know it did for our products. We tried it.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Mar 21, 2017 03:25 |  #6659

The price will drop after a year to more competitive prices so waiting a year does not change duties and taxes so profit maximising is more probably.

I am not stupid and content what I already have and keep using those.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
Joined Aug 2012
Applecross, Scotland
Mar 21, 2017 09:27 |  #6660

A UK company, Lencarta, used to rebrand Godox products (still sells the older technology, eg., 360 and 180 original). It was still quite expensive though and they do not seem to be moving to the 600 model. However, I did purchase some tx/rx (X1) from Amazon in the UK and they were not too expensive. Most of the Godox line seems to be available from Amazon but I have no idea if there are any warranties accompanying them.

I've also fallen foul of the tax people when receiving shipments from the US. Never again - it's just not worth it :-(

flickrexternal link

sponsored links

1,053,387 views & 261 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.