Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,098 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Wilt.
Mar 20, 2017 18:48 as a reply to post 18305621 |  #6886

Thx, Jake.

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
Scroll sideways to 3rd page of custom functions (the little camera icon 2nd from right)
Scroll down to "Custom Controls", Press "SET"
Highlight "Shutter butt." and press "SET" select "* AE Lock (while button pressed)"
If you prefer to lock metering, this is how I have always set it up. Alternatively, select "metering start" for continuous AE.

Weird, thought I had set that (as described above) and yet AF function was still on both back button and shutter button. -?
I did it once again, while I was reading your instructions, and now it is functioning the way I want!

Muchas gratias, amigo.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,433 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Mar 20, 2017 19:50 |  #6887

Wilt wrote in post #18306316 (external link)
Thx, Jake.

Weird, thought I had set that (as described above) and yet AF function was still on both back button and shutter button. -?
I did it once again, while I was reading your instructions, and now it is functioning the way I want!

Muchas gratias, amigo.

I am old school. I still like to shoot stills with the shutter button. I have never disabled focus from the shutter and use the BBF all of the time for Ai Servo.

Image Editing OK

Websiteexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

gschlact
Joined Jan 2010
Chicago 'burbs
Mar 20, 2017 23:29 |  #6888

digital paradise wrote in post #18306380 (external link)
I am old school. I still like to shoot stills with the shutter button. I have never disabled focus from the shutter and use the BBF all of the time for Ai Servo.

So what happens if you hav shutter half way pressed in Servo Mode, and go to take your BBF off so that you can reframe? Does the 1/2pressed shutter keep af continuing?

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,433 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 2 months ago by digital paradise.
Mar 20, 2017 23:46 |  #6889

gschlact wrote in post #18306562 (external link)
So what happens if you hav shutter half way pressed in Servo Mode, and go to take your BBF off so that you can reframe? Does the 1/2pressed shutter keep af continuing?

Good question. I have not noticed that. I was never a fan of the BFF until I forced myself to use it with my 7D2. After 5 years of using my 7D's shutter button ½ pressed between bursts with which I had no problems with I'm probably doing it inadvertently now when using the BFF. Then again I may be not half half pressing the shutter these days when using the BBF. I have not really paid attention to it the last year. I do back off the BBF to reframe.

That would be very easy to test but I only have tomorrow and then we travelling. Not taking the big guns but bringing my 7D2 and 55-250 STM. When the opportunity arises I will try that out and get back to you. This is an interesting one.

Image Editing OK

rejay14
Joined Mar 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Mar 21, 2017 03:30 |  #6890

mwsilver wrote in post #18305579 (external link)
Not entirely correct. If you shoot raw and use DPP the in camera settings are automatically applied to the resulting raw file when you edit, unlike Lightroom where the in camera settings are ignored.

I sit corrected. I totally agree with you.

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, 18-135 STM, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 Kit with too many modifiers http://...www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Mar 21, 2017 06:49 |  #6891

It is odd about perception, I went from full manual film to the 20D, so the idea of the AF operation bring on the same control as the shutter release is something I could not cope with; I changed to BBF straight off as being more natural.

Several bodies down the line and I still can't get on with shutter button activation of AF or one shot.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

graham121
Joined Feb 2013
Pakenham, VIC, Aus
Mar 21, 2017 07:18 |  #6892

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18306687 (external link)
It is odd about perception, I went from full manual film to the 20D, so the idea of the AF operation bring on the same control as the shutter release is something I could not cope with; I changed to BBF straight off as being more natural.

Several bodies down the line and I still can't get on with shutter button activation of AF or one shot.

I must say since changing to one shot AF on the shutter button and AI Servo via BBF I am getting far far more shots of stationary subject in sharp focus, in fact it has completely restored my faith in the camera.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,151 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Mar 21, 2017 07:34 |  #6893

I did a lot of reading yesterday. I watched a few videos on pro shooters in sports and wildlife and they went over their settings and the WHY.... and WOW...

so I thought it was just me.. totally me.. cuz the 7dm2 is way better than my t2i but my t2i I used center dot (hell only have 9 points LOL) and typically had great success but going to the 7dm2 I dont.
What I realized is I started using the zone af (if that is what the section you can move to left, right or middle is) or i tried using the 65pt AF....

what i " thought " was the 65pt will use say center even though no dot and lock there or somehow it had a way to lock on what your aiming at... then it would track...

I have found out so much since then...(yesterday)

what I have learned is these pro shooters go into the menu and remove the following from being selective AF
Manual select: Spot AF, Expand AF area: Surround, Manual select:Large Zone AF, Auto selection:65 pt AF

leaving ONLY
Manual selection:1pt AF, Expand AF Area, Manual Select:Zone AF

what they have said is what I am seeing and just didnt realize. I wanted Large Zone AF or 65pt AF to be that holy grail capture and lock on target and be awesome-sauce...instead what I have learned is that the ones removed are ALL going to lock onto subject and will be focused on the closes to the camera. It was said this is good for say if a car is facing you and you want the grill sharp but for sports or birds it wont work well.

Now this was their settings and why. I am seeing similar results and possibly why I feel my camera has an issue (or i just suck at using the 7dm2 and should go back to the t2i which is broke :twisted:)

so I am going to go out and shoot away once again to see how well things work with now understanding how these AF point selections work..

this still has me confused on this. Picked up a tamron 70-200 2.8 vc and 1.4 teleconverter and was shooting in 65point af mode....

large crop

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3781/33381479312_5c262a9b7e_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SRNN​NL] (external link)TroubledAF (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

AF points from DPP
IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2906/32724023073_4bbc160c3a.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RRHa​Yn] (external link)TroubledAFClose (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

but look at the "Welcome To"
IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2930/32724035513_a2b053dc1f_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RRHe​ER] (external link)UnitedWarmups (21 of 36) (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 32GB Eye Fi Mobi SD | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,433 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Mar 21, 2017 08:46 |  #6894

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18306687 (external link)

Between 2 bodies in for over $5000. I paid for the one shot beep and I want to hear it :-) Actually the reason I used both was due to weddings and events. It was just too tiring to look through the viewfinder for 8 hours and try to see if my subject was in focus. One shot provides focus confirmation.

Image Editing OK

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Mar 21, 2017 09:28 |  #6895

graham121 wrote in post #18306712 (external link)
I must say since changing to one shot AF on the shutter button and AI Servo via BBF I am getting far far more shots of stationary subject in sharp focus, in fact it has completely restored my faith in the camera.

I gave single shot on the shutter button a try but did not get on with it. Mind you this was when I was shooting the very challenging Fircrest.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,151 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Mar 21, 2017 09:44 |  #6896

i just found the af guide book..
http://learn.usa.canon​.com ...os7dmk2_afGuidebook​.shtml (external link)

their pdf
http://downloads.canon​.com ..._AF_guide_CUSA_9-2014.pdf (external link)

says you need certain lenses to work with 65pt AF... I wonder if a listing exists for other lenses to see what non canon lenses work.

wonder if that is why 65pt wasnt working great for me on the tammy 70-200???

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 32GB Eye Fi Mobi SD | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,433 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Mar 21, 2017 09:55 |  #6897

I did at one point use the C1-3 modes. The one shot was normal for C1. For C2 I disabled AF from the shutter. I did not warm up to it but I may try it again. I'm going to pay attention to what gschlact pointed out to see what I'm actually doing to pump the focus.

As you any have noticed I have been whining for 2 years because Canon has not added the drive mode to the "detail set". This way I could leave the cam on single shooting and use the shutter for one shot. Then when I press a BBF it could switch to high speed continuous.

Leaving the drive mode on high speed continuous when using one shot is just an minor irritant but that was what actually got me to try the C1-3 modes. C1 was on single and C2 was on high speed and while on C2 I disabled the AF from the shutter.

I have never warmed up the C1-3 modes but I may revisit it when I get back. I'd prefer drive mode added to the detail set. I'm taking my 7D2 and 55-250 STM so when I'm in my shorts having a cocktail by the pool maybe I'll set it up there and try it out.

Image Editing OK

RodS57
Joined Jun 2014
Mar 21, 2017 10:25 |  #6898

TeleFragger wrote in post #18306815 (external link)
i just found the af guide book..
http://learn.usa.canon​.com ...os7dmk2_afGuidebook​.shtml (external link)

their pdf
http://downloads.canon​.com ..._AF_guide_CUSA_9-2014.pdf (external link)

says you need certain lenses to work with 65pt AF... I wonder if a listing exists for other lenses to see what non canon lenses work.

wonder if that is why 65pt wasnt working great for me on the tammy 70-200???

You should be able to see in the viewfinder what points are available.
Two big points here: the max of aperture of the lens and what the lens reports to the camera.
Your is tamron F2.8 so it should have access to all 65 AF points based on aperture requirements but....
My tamron 150-600 only has access to the 25 point center zone on the long end. That puts me at F6.3 and only center point is F8 focus. With the canon requirement for F5.6 or faster on most AF points I guess I should be happy with the 25 I have.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

RodS57
Joined Jun 2014
Mar 21, 2017 10:31 |  #6899

digital paradise wrote in post #18306830 (external link)
I did at one point use the C1-3 modes. The one shot was normal for C1. For C2 I disabled AF from the shutter. I did not warm up to it but I may try it again. I'm going to pay attention to what gschlact pointed out to see what I'm actually doing to pump the focus.

As you any have noticed I have been whining for 2 years because Canon has not added the drive mode to the "detail set". This way I could leave the cam on single shooting and use the shutter for one shot. Then when I press a BBF it could switch to high speed continuous.

Leaving the drive mode on high speed continuous when using one shot is just an minor irritant but that was what actually got me to try the C1-3 modes. C1 was on single and C2 was on high speed and while on C2 I disabled the AF from the shutter.

I have never warmed up the C1-3 modes but I may revisit it when I get back. I'd prefer drive mode added to the detail set. I'm taking my 7D2 and 55-250 STM so when I'm in my shorts having a cocktail by the pool maybe I'll set it up there and try it out.

I've set C3 up for night time shooting. No longer need to change half the settings on the camera for a moon shot.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,098 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Wilt. 5 edits done in total.
Mar 21, 2017 10:48 |  #6900

You must not be reeeally old school, as I am. In the days of manual focus, mechanical no-electric (except the meter) cameras, focus was absolutely independent of the shutter button. You could PRE-focus, and the camera was ready for a shot immediately...think pole vaulter going over the bar. By taking focus function completely off the shutter button, you can prefocus and not risk 'danger' of the camera trying to change focus at the time of the shot. As Lester put it (and his statement fits my history 100%),

"I went from full manual film to the 20D, so the idea of the AF operation bring on the same control as the shutter release is something I could not cope with; I changed to BBF straight off as being more natural....Several bodies down the line and I still can't get on with shutter button activation of AF or one shot."

While turning the lens switch to 'MF' instead of its usual 'AF' effectively allows you to prefocus and not worry about refocus, unfortunately then you have the need to find & change that switch first, if you suddenly see a photo worthy incident at a different location.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links

1,015,577 views & 2710 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.