Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 18 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 14:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

help with some minor accessories

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,151 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Mar 18, 2017 14:52 |  #1

Ok so I did some searching but nothing stood out so guess ill ask here and hopefully can figure this out...

ok so I have 2 flashes - YN-468 and YN-468 II both ETTL. I need wireless triggers... what would you recommend for my 7dm2?
my t2i used rf-603 and I think there is the rf-603c for my 7dm2 or rf-622??? I haven't kept up with all the new stuff so not sure.

For Xmas I wanted a lighting set and gave it to my wife from amazon as a wish item. She ordered something else cuz it was cheaper.. well no wonder it was constant light!!!!! but I ended up with a backdrop stand, black, white and green screen and 2 CFL umbrellas.
so I have 2 umbrellas that take CFL but is there a kit to convert or use the current umbrella with wireless triggers and flash or better to just get a new umbrella?

shoulder strap/sling - I usually use the default canon but with my new 70-200 it puts some weight around my neck when moving it around so I think a new sling is in order... what have yall used and liked?

thx all

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 32GB Eye Fi Mobi SD | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

sponsored links
photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Mar 18, 2017 15:03 |  #2

Next time your wife asks for a new car...............buy her a match box version...............:twisted::twisted:

As for a sling, check out Black Rapid.

tw
Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.

www.photosbytw.net (external link)

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,366 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Wilt.
Mar 18, 2017 15:05 |  #3

For straps, I love the OpTech Super Classic. Comfortably controlled stretch makes it comfortable on the shoulder if walking about all day. Feels relative soft on the hand, too. Rubber surfacing helps keep it from slipping off the shoulder. Nicely but not overly wide like the OpTech Pro beasts which are suited well for the heavy 1Dn camera body, and/or super long zooms. I even use one (with OpTech 'binocular ends') for carrying my tripod slung over my shoulder.

You do not need to 'convert' an umbrella from 'constant' to 'strobe'...you merely need to find the right light stand adapter that places the flash so that it points close to the center of the arch of the umbrella rather that at a point at flash-height away from center. Unfortunately most do poorly in this regard, with designs like this
http://bermangraphics.​com/images/500-lighting01.jpg (external link)

Not a personal endorsement for these products (since I have not used them), but these are two of the few that puts the flash head close to the center of the umbrella!
http://photo-tips-online.com ...my-speedlight-on-axis.jpg (external link)
http://www.tommyimages​.com ...rella_Flash_Adapter​_3.jpg (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 18, 2017 15:11 |  #4

I've been a long time user of the Luma Cinch. Haven't tried their Loop but I love the Cinch. I have 3 of them.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Mar 18, 2017 20:55 |  #5

TeleFragger wrote in post #18304401 (external link)
ok so I have 2 flashes - YN-468 and YN-468 II both ETTL. I need wireless triggers... what would you recommend for my 7dm2?
my t2i used rf-603 and I think there is the rf-603c for my 7dm2 or rf-622??? I haven't kept up with all the new stuff so not sure.

It depends what you want them to do.
The 603s are manual only triggers. They fire the flash in manual only. You can't use ETTL functions of a flash and you can't alter the flash settings from the camera - you will need to manually adjust each flash.

If you want to use more advanced ETTL or HSS features you will need to use the 622c triggers http://hkyongnuo.com/e​-detaily.php?ID=363 (external link)

and if you want to be able to change the settings on your flashes automatically you will need the YN622c-TX - http://hkyongnuo.com/e​-detaily.php?ID=348 (external link)

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: http://www.danmarchant​.com (external link)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.co​m/danmarchantphotograp​hy (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + lenses + plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
5,289 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Mar 18, 2017 21:25 |  #6

I can't help with the lighting, but I highly recommend the Peak Designs Cuff. I haven't used a neck strap in at least 3 years. I use the Cuff on everything from an 80D/50 STM to a 1DIV/100-400L. I have two of them and a bunch of clips so I can put the Cuff on any camera in 2 seconds. If this thing had come out first, nobody would be using a neck strap.

Tom

FPP
Joined Aug 2009
Perrysburg, OH
Mar 19, 2017 11:30 |  #7

The Peak Design Slide's attachment system allows for easy swaps between lenses when the strap is attached at one end to the lens foot.

7D Mark II, 50D, 17-55 2.8 IS, 100-400L IS, 10-22, Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, EF-S 60MM f2.8 Macro, EF-S 18-55 IS, 28-135 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, 580 EX II, Gitzo GT2531EX, ARCA-SWISS Z1, RRS B2 AS II clamp, Kirk L-bracket for 7DII, Kirk L-bracket for 50D.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 19, 2017 11:33 |  #8

I'm not associated with Luma other than being a very satisfied customer, but I want to add a plug that they machine their hardware and stitch their straps entirely in my hometown of Portland OR, so props to them for not offshoring their manufacturing!

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Mar 19, 2017 15:12 |  #9

TeleFragger wrote in post #18304401 (external link)
shoulder strap/sling - I usually use the default canon but with my new 70-200 it puts some weight around my neck when moving it around so I think a new sling is in order... what have yall used and liked?

thx all

Since you're asking about this in the same breath as your other questions regarding lighting, I'm assuming you'll be using the shoulder strap/sling in the studio or on-location lighting sessions?

If so, one thing you'll find is a great need to have your hands free unless you have readily available assistants at your disposal. If you're trying to shoot and mess with the lighting system at the same time, your hands will have to be often free, like I found myself in.

I found the combination of Black Rapid (or any other similar brands already recommended by other members) and SpiderPro Holster as a perfect solution. On each its own, I'm not 100% confident when my expensive camera gear is dependent on it, but in combination -- each serving as a safety "tether" to the other -- I'm 100% confident. I can have my hands free in a matter of seconds to make adjustments to my lighting gear without having my 70-200L dangling or swaying on the side and back to shooting in a matter of seconds.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Mar 19, 2017 15:55 |  #10

SYS wrote in post #18305240 (external link)
I found the combination of Black Rapid (or any other similar brands already recommended by other members) and SpiderPro Holster as a perfect solution. On each its own, I'm not 100% confident when my expensive camera gear is dependent on it, but in combination -- each serving as a safety "tether" to the other -- I'm 100% confident. I can have my hands free in a matter of seconds to make adjustments to my lighting gear without having my 70-200L dangling or swaying on the side and back to shooting in a matter of seconds.

This is funny you should mention this.

And here I thought I was the only one in the world to use this combination. Not all the time certainly but when you're climbing around rocks or abandoned buildings, this is the only way to have your camera at thew ready yet not have it flopping around and still have both hands free.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,366 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Wilt.
Mar 19, 2017 16:36 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #11

I can understand the Cuff concept if you are actively engaged in shooting rather continuously, like at a wedding/reception.

So, if you are out all day wandering the streets of a city in which you are a visiting tourist, is your camera attached to your wrist perpetually as you wander about? How about when you have no intention of shooting and want to unburden your hand/arm? There must be a configuration you use, to supplement the Cuff?

As SYS puts it, "If so, one thing you'll find is a great need to have your hands free unless you have readily available assistants at your disposal. If you're trying to shoot and mess with the lighting system at the same time, your hands will have to be often free, like I found myself in."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

TeleFragger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,151 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Mar 20, 2017 08:14 |  #12

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18304658 (external link)
It depends what you want them to do.
The 603s are manual only triggers. They fire the flash in manual only. You can't use ETTL functions of a flash and you can't alter the flash settings from the camera - you will need to manually adjust each flash.

If you want to use more advanced ETTL or HSS features you will need to use the 622c triggers http://hkyongnuo.com/e​-detaily.php?ID=363 (external link)

and if you want to be able to change the settings on your flashes automatically you will need the YN622c-TX - http://hkyongnuo.com/e​-detaily.php?ID=348 (external link)

interesting... ok so here would be my situation...

camera on tripod
flash in umbrella... want to use a wireless trigger to get the camera to take the pic and also flash to fire...

another maybe if i setup 2 flashes in 2 umbrellas and want the camera to fire and both flashes...

I went to amazon (got gift cards in there) and searched YN622c-TX
I see a kit with YN622c-TX and YN622c ii ....

will either of these be the trigger if i handheld the YN622c-TX ?

ive gotta readup on these now... but im ready to order....

on strap - i dont want a handheld piece but definitely a sling as this 70-200 is heavy!!!!!

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 32GB Eye Fi Mobi SD | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Mar 20, 2017 23:40 |  #13

Unless things have changed since I last investigated, the 622 is a flash trigger but not a remote shutter release. You mount one on the camera hot shoe and another one on each of the flashes you want to use. Press the shutter button and the flashes fire.

The 603 does act as a wireless remote shutter release (as well as a flash trigger) but as mentioned it only provides manual control of the flash so no enhanced functionality. So if you want the shutter release you would need to buy a pair of 603s and hang one of them off the camera (assuming the 622 is occupying the hot shoe). This is what I do as I originally bought a set of 603s and then upgraded later to Yongnou's other (Canon's RT compatible) wireless system using YNE3-RX and the YN-E3-RT.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: http://www.danmarchant​.com (external link)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.co​m/danmarchantphotograp​hy (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + lenses + plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 21, 2017 00:03 |  #14

You can get a YN622-TX and put it on your camera. Then you get a bunch of YN622Cs, one for each flash. The TX trigger on your camera will communicate with the YN622Cs and command them to operate the flashes when you press the shutter. This set is relatively cheap and can be used with flashes that don't have built in radio transceivers.

If you have newer flashes with RT, like the 600EX-RT you can get a YN-E3-RT and stick that on the camera and then you don't need another doohickey on each flash because the YN-E3-RT communicates directly with the flashes. That's what I am planning to do.

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 3 months ago by DaviSto.
Mar 21, 2017 06:02 |  #15

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18306564 (external link)
Unless things have changed since I last investigated, the 622 is a flash trigger but not a remote shutter release. You mount one on the camera hot shoe and another one on each of the flashes you want to use. Press the shutter button and the flashes fire.

The 603 does act as a wireless remote shutter release (as well as a flash trigger) but as mentioned it only provides manual control of the flash so no enhanced functionality. So if you want the shutter release you would need to buy a pair of 603s and hang one of them off the camera (assuming the 622 is occupying the hot shoe). This is what I do as I originally bought a set of 603s and then upgraded later to Yongnou's other (Canon's RT compatible) wireless system using YNE3-RX and the YN-E3-RT.

Surprisingly enough, you can use the 622c triggers as a remote shutter release. The YN-622C-TX (the controller) should be hooked up to the camera using one of the sync cords that comes in the box (mounted on the hot shoe if not used for a flash unit). The test button on any YN-622C trigger set to the same channel will then fire the flash and act as a remote shutter release.

I've tested this to be sure it works but haven't played around with it a lot. I assume that you will only get ETTL if the TX is on the camera hot shoe (can't see how it could be otherwise) ... but have not tested this out. A minor issue is that there seems to be a slight delay before shutter release/flash firing. I haven't tried playing around with the camera or controller settings to see if this can be eliminated.

sponsored links

1,652 views & 3 likes for this thread
help with some minor accessories
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.