Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 21 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 21:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Trouble with Dropbox

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,066 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Mar 21, 2017 21:04 |  #1

Hi all,
Having trouble dealing with the Dropbox folks and thought maybe someone here may have a suggestion. Here's the deal .......

I am unable to access my Yahoo account due to a Yahoo security breech (thanks Yahoo). This has prevented access to my Dropbox account. I switched to a Gmail address, and set up a new Dropbox account using this new Gmail address. I asked Dropbox if they could 1) transfer my old Dropbox account storage space of 8.25GB over to the new account and 2) delete that old account.

After having my ticket escalated, here's their latest response ...

1. They can't delete the old account. ..... That's fine. I'm OK with that. It's unusable.

2. "We can only transfer referral bonus space between accounts. Since we have transferred all of the referral space from your old account, we will not be able to transfer additional space to your account." ........ This is the part I don't understand. So what constituted the other 3.25GB of space in that account? All I am trying to do is continue on with the same level of storage I had before my Yahoo account was compromised. Because it is impossible to contact Yahoo to reclaim the account, I was left with no other choice but to create a new account using a new email address. I simply would like to have the same storage status that I had previously. To me this makes sense and seems like a fair and reasonable request. Please explain how I'm wrong. I'm bummed that I'm being punished for a security breech I had no control over.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I would like to continue with Dropbox, but this kinda ticks me off. Maybe time to consider other options.

mikeearly
Joined Aug 2007
Chester, VA
Mar 22, 2017 04:40 |  #2

Understand your frustration ... from your post it appears that they transferred some of your storage but were 3.25GB short. Without the answer to "what constituted the other 3.25GB" it is very hard to figure out what is going on. What do they have to say about the 3.25? Did they change their storage provisions between your first account and the new one?

I agree you should be bummed out and are not "wrong". Nothing I can do to fix your problem. If I were you I would try going back to Dropbox and asking specifically about the 3.25 and what happened to it.

Good luck.

Mike Early
http://www.mdephoto.co​mexternal link

texkam
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,066 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Mar 22, 2017 21:25 |  #3

What do they have to say about the 3.25? If I were you I would try going back to Dropbox and asking specifically about the 3.25 and what happened to it.

That was the very question I last posed to them. Waiting for an explanation.

However I got (earned) this storage amount, it's legit. What difference would it make simply to transfer it over. Nothing changes but my internet provider's address.

110yd
755 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Mar 31, 2017 12:51 |  #4

I would ask a question or two regarding the Yahoo account login. Have you been locked out of the account because it was taken over by spam bots,
or can you gain access to use the account by resetting your password?

I can understand the frustration, but Yahoo sounds like to source of the original issue, and gaining access to that account potentially solves the problem.

Regards,
110yd

786 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trouble with Dropbox
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.