Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 21 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 18:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful.

sjones
Goldmember
2,190 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Chicago
Mar 23, 2017 16:20 |  #31

OK, I’ll play, but I’m not going to foolishly limit myself to one of anything.

This said, I placed the imposition that if I could acquire, for free, three original prints, and only three, what would be my first three. And, of course, these top three are subject to change at any moment because I’m human, not some computerized ranking contraption:

Robert Frank, “Beaufort, South Carolina”: https://www.mfah.org ...otography%2522%26pa​ge%3D2 (external link)

Henri Cartier-Bresson, “Island of Siphnos, Greece, 1961”: https://www.artsy.net ...-island-of-siphnos-greece (external link)

André Kertész, “Chez Mondrian, Paris”: http://www.getty.edu ...26/?dz=0.5000,0.688​9,0.41 (external link)

Asheville to Chicago 2016-2017 (external link)
Eggleston's photography is superb. Deal with it!
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

sponsored links
chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,693 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Mar 23, 2017 18:06 |  #32

There's no question that you folks are illustrating superior photography. but,
I would submit that the magical quality is missing from them.
you might not like these, https://www.citypedia.​com ...t=aolsem&q=magical+​images (external link)
but they're my goal.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Mar 23, 2017 18:21 |  #33

chauncey wrote in post #18309024 (external link)
you might not like these, https://www.citypedia.​com ...t=aolsem&q=magical+​images (external link)
but they're my goal.

Sorry Chauncey but those aren't magical to me. I personally don't like them AT ALL....

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,965 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Mar 23, 2017 18:30 |  #34

but they're my goal.

If that's the style you admire, then go for it. The images have a dreamy, otherworldly quality. I see now why you used the descriptor "magical." The equivalent in writing would be purple prose. My preferences, for both text and pictures, run to something more realistic.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

sjones
Goldmember
2,190 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Chicago
Mar 23, 2017 18:46 |  #35

but they're my goal.

You asked “what is your single most favorite image,” but now you appear to be simply seeking examples of photos that fit a very particular style, irrespective of what anyone else actually likes or finds beautiful.

But yes, if you are looking for literally preternatural photos, then I’m not going to meet your personal and highly subjective demands.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by Tom Reichner. 8 edits done in total.
Mar 23, 2017 20:32 |  #36

but they're my goal.

I see that style all over the place - printed on fleece blankets, on the covers of three ring binders, on lunch boxes, sticker decals, sweatshirts, rear windshield decals, etc., etc., etc. .I feel as if my local Walmart is crammed full of merchandise with that type and style of imagery on it. .It is, evidently, extremely popular.

I think it's great that you have a clearly defined artistic vision, and that you know exactly what kind of image you want to create. .You have something to say, and you know how you want to say it. .That's really the biggest hurdle for an artist to get over. .Many would-be artists never get that far, and you already have that part figured out, and your objective - your vision - is clear.

The only thing that remains is the actual execution of your vision.......and I think you have a really good head start with that, because the type of imagery that most moves you is that which requires a lot of work at the computer, and you like that computer work, and do not seem to be at all intimidated by it. .I think you're really very close to creating the types of images that you most love.

However, as far as my favorite image is concerned, it would be something as opposite of that as I could possibly find. .As I said before, magical and beautiful are pretty much polar opposites, in my opinion. .I find magical things to be garish and unrealistic, while I find beauty to be manifested most in those things which are natural and realistic.

I still don't know what you are asking us for, Chauncey.
Do you want us to say what our favorite image is?
Or do you want us to say what image we think is the most beautiful?
Or do you want us to say what image we think is the most magical?

These are three completely and entirely different things, and you seem to have asked us for all three, seemingly thinking that they are basically one and the same. .For some of us, they are not at all the same - in fact, some may find them to be mutually exclusive.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Mar 23, 2017 21:29 as a reply to post 18307686 |  #37

This and Edward Weston's nudes sucked me in...

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,693 posts
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Mar 24, 2017 06:28 |  #38

I still don't know what you are asking us for, Chauncey.
Do you want us to say what our favorite image is?
Or do you want us to say what image we think is the most beautiful?
Or do you want us to say what image we think is the most magical?

All of the above I guess...I was kind of hoping that some of you were more into creativity than photography.
My own travels are obvious in my personal link.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Mar 24, 2017 06:58 |  #39

chauncey wrote in post #18309421 (external link)
All of the above I guess...I was kind of hoping that some of you were more into creativity than photography.

I personally don't find that creative Chauncey but kinda cheesy. Obvious I guess. Now the John Paul Caponigro in my opinion is very creative.

I think really great photographs are very creative. To be able to see and capture that vision in a fraction of second takes am amazing ability to first see and second to have the technical means to capture that.

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by tonylong.
Mar 24, 2017 07:10 |  #40

My question would be:

How many of those "magical" images are actual "captures" rather than the result of "creative post processing? I'm asking because a lot of them seem to me to be the result of a "Fairy Tale Magic" imagination...?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Mar 24, 2017 07:28 |  #41

Personally, my inspirations tend to depend on my mood. My creativity tries to achieve the results of those moods.

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,190 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Chicago
Mar 24, 2017 08:05 |  #42

chauncey wrote in post #18309421 (external link)

Yeah, be very careful on how you use the word ‘creativity', because to suggest that only fantasy type images (photos, graphic art, whatever) exhibit a higher standard of creativity is just not true on various levels.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Mar 24, 2017 08:25 |  #43

airfrogusmc, thanks for pointing out the "collector" factor...that makes very good sense. It seems all the great master were/are dead and gone before their paintings became valuable to the degree that I mentioned. But, I'm not studied in art very much, just a redneck down here in Alabama.

chaucey, since we're apparently talking about fairies and unicorns...I stand by my early crass post...who knows, I might get a shot of a unicorn or tinkerbell. ;-)a

"Beauty"...Margaret Wolfe Hungerford probably stated it the best, "...beauty is in the eye of the beholder." For me, it is the natural world that at times almost seems supernatural...not in a Harry Potter or My Little Pony kind of way, but in a super natural kind of way...steam rising from the bogs of the swamp, a storm on the beach, walking into the forest early in the morning with a fog dancing around the trees, a patch of wildflowers after a summer rain, etc.,. Simple things, but transient things that leave a sense of reverence with you in that you got to witness this small frame on the reel of life...

(Being a crass person, I did have to google Hungerford's phrase to find out that she coined it...being the dumb and stupid person that I am I had no idea that it was her, really!)

www.beeweather.comexternal link

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,693 posts
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Mar 24, 2017 09:32 |  #44

Lets go back 10 years. to when I first picked up a camera...https://www.google.com ...omas+kinkade+techni​ques&* (external link)
he is who I wanted to emulate, but painting was way beyond me. The desire still exists.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited 7 months ago by nathancarter.
Mar 24, 2017 10:09 |  #45

I've always thought Kinkade's work to be a little hokey .. er, "not to my taste."

Sure is profitable though, at one time there was a Kinkade store in like half the shopping malls in America.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links

4,061 views & 30 likes for this thread
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.