Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 23 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 20:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sent 1DX Into Canon For Sensor Cleaning-Now They Want $850?

katekev04
193 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Mar 23, 2017 20:57 |  #1

Hello,

I sent my 1DX into Canon for a regular basic sensor cleaning. The camera has been performing fine with no problems. I get an email stating that my PCB Board Ass'y needs replacement, which shocked me.

What is this PCB board and if it was broke would the camera even function-would the user know something was wrong?

I'm lost to what would have caused this board to break, just regular day to day wear or something worse?

Any info on this subject would be appreciated.

sponsored links
Ramon-uk
Joined Mar 2006
Mar 24, 2017 07:12 |  #2

There are various PCBs inside a camera so the only people who can answer what the exact problem is will be the Canon service centre who are repairing it. Try asking them for a more detailed report on the camera, I'm sure they will oblige.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Post has been edited 7 months ago by saea501.
Mar 24, 2017 07:31 |  #3

This sounds very suspicious to me. The camera is working fine and Canon receives it for a cleaning and now its broken?

I would want some serious details.

PCB simply means printed circuit board and there are more than a few inside of these cameras. Their description is very vague as well. I can't imagine Canon service using this kind of description. If, in fact, there is a problem with an electronic board in your camera I would think they would use the board name when telling you that there is a problem. 'A circuit board' can cover a lot of ground.

This just doesn't sound at all right to me.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

mikeearly
Joined Aug 2007
Chester, VA
Mar 24, 2017 07:49 |  #4

If this was sent into Canon I have a hard time (meaning I don't want to believe) that they are trying to screw you. I'd ask them for more info about the board and also ask what is the result of not replacing that board right now. In other words "if the camera was working great when I sent it in, why should I worry about replacing this board right now?".

Mike Early
http://www.mdephoto.co​mexternal link

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,048 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Mar 24, 2017 11:16 |  #5

Are you absolutely certain that this email actually came from Canon? Regardless of logos or otherwise how the email looks it could be fake. I would call Canon using a known number, not a number given in the email, and confirm.

Mark

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,560 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Post has been edited 7 months ago by mwsilver.
Mar 24, 2017 12:58 |  #6

saea501 wrote in post #18309459 (external link)
This sounds very suspicious to me. The camera is working fine and Canon receives it for a cleaning and now its broken?

I would want some serious details.

PCB simply means printed circuit board and there are more than a few inside of these cameras. Their description is very vague as well. I can't imagine Canon service using this kind of description. If, in fact, there is a problem with an electronic board in your camera I would think they would use the board name when telling you that there is a problem. 'A circuit board' can cover a lot of ground.

This just doesn't sound at all right to me.

I had my 7D2 in service under warranty and they told me a PCB needed to be replaced, but didn't specify. Since there will be a substantial cost involved the OP should be able to get details as needed.

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

katekev04
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by katekev04. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 24, 2017 13:06 |  #7

Thanks for the responses.

Just got off the phone with Canon. After about 25 minutes of waiting between customer service and her manager, this is what the manager said; The whole board needs to be replaced. I said the camera was working fine, I didn't notice a problem and was just shooting a newborn with studio lights. I then asked her is they were able to power the camera on? She then puts me on hold again and comes back and says the problem was intermittent and was only happening a few times. She then asks me if I had ever seen an error code which I never have.

I love Canon. Never had a problem but the recall on the 1DX in 2013. I'm brand driven, got away from Sony after a few bad customer service calls. I have numerous Canon lens, 85mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, two Canon rebels and two speedlites along with a HD video camera. I just want to know if this is a normal and will I have to replacing the board in another 4 years? She says nothing on that Camera is guaranteed except the shutter. I ended the conversation with, Well thats good to know when I'm going to purchase another camera because having something like this board break in 4 years when the camera is in great shape is a deal breaker for me.

I don't know maybe I'm over reacting, things break right? I'm just a little upset that the quality should be a little better. Like I said I have two Rebels that are 8 and 9 years old and are still working great...no problems what so ever. I'm not cheap, have no problem paying for a repair, I just want to know if this is a crap shoot...will it break again so soon? I guess its like life...you never know when you're going to get hit by a bus.

The part is $200 and the labor is $600 and the new board has ONLY A 6 MONTH WARRANTY!!!!!!

1KIND
Goldmember
2,051 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Mar 24, 2017 13:37 |  #8

Per Canon's repair (external link), There are two levels for DSLR cleaning (there's also a 11-point EF lens maintenance service - $59) -

#1 is a 7-point image sensor cleaning ($49):
- clean image sensor
- clean mirror
- clean focus screen
- clean external viewfinder
- clean external lcd surfaces
- clean camera body
- verify firmware version and update if applicable

#2 is a 18-point maintenance service ($89-$129):
- clean image sensor
- clean mirror
- clean focus screen
- clean external viewfinder
- clean external lcd surfaces
- clean camera body
- check moving parts
- check operation of hot shoe
- check memory card insertion and removal
- check lens attachment and removal
- check camera/lens calibration
- perform image test (check exposure and shutter speed)
- verify camera shutter count
- check internal error message
- check operation of terminals and jacks
- tighten external screws
- verify firmware version and update if applicable
- perform pixel mapping for hot or dead pixels if requested

With that said, not everything is perfect. A camera can have problems the moment you turn it on or it can happen 10 years from now. So you may not experience any issues but if Canon hooks up the camera to their machines or something, thats when they'll probably know (not sure what their process is but taking a guess). You can jump ship and go to Sony or Nikon and the same may happen. You never know.

However, $850 is a lot of money. Since you sent it to them in working order, I wonder if you just ask for the camera back, would it still be working like how you sent it or if its dead? If its dead, something definitely went wrong.

1KIND Photography (external link)
Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Hejnar Photo Plates, Camtrol Stabilizer | Varavon Monopod and 32" Slider

mikeearly
Joined Aug 2007
Chester, VA
Mar 24, 2017 14:04 |  #9

katekev04 - I understand your concerns and don't think you are over reacting. Really a shock when you send something in for something simple and all of a sudden you are dealing with a pretty significant problem.

As mentioned earlier one choice would be to just ask for the camera back and hope you don't notice any problem for a while (if ever). Personally I would have a hard time making that choice. I would have to assume that the test was valid and that even if started off working when i got it back, it would quit at the most inopportune time. I guess my choice would be to get it fixed and hope like heck it worked for a very long time. I could not trade it in, or sell it, knowing that Canon had uncovered a problem so its value without the fix would be "zero" as far as I was concerned. So if the camera had been a good workhorse for me then getting it fixed would be my best choice.

Sorry you ran into this and have to address it.

Mike Early
http://www.mdephoto.co​mexternal link

katekev04
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Mar 24, 2017 14:17 |  #10

Pay now or pay later...lol. I'm really kinda concerned that the warranty on the new board is only 6 months.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Mar 24, 2017 15:00 as a reply to katekev04's post |  #11

Ask exactly what this board is, what it does, how they know there is a problem with it and why did the problem not display itself to you.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

Frodge
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Mar 24, 2017 15:14 |  #12

This is kind of off topic a bit, and not meant to "kick you while you're down" so to speak. But this is why I would never send anything I own in, for a basic maintenance. This includes all my cars, cameras, watches etc. I buy the tools and just learn through forums, reading and YouTube. You never know which clown is going to be touching your camera, car etc. It's very possible the camera was apart and still powered and the tech shorted it with a mini screwdriver or something of that nature. I used to be in the computer business and saw many lazy techs fry main boards by being too lazy to power it down before connecting a power cable to a drive or card. Yeah, you could do that 95 times out of 100 with no problem, but its those 5 times that you fry the board.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Mar 24, 2017 15:21 |  #13

I would try to climb up the ladder of customer service,. and without exception I would repeat, "I sent you a perfectly working camera to get the sensor cleaned, are you telling me that you are going to charge me $850.00 to get a perfectly working camera back?"

ie: I would insist that they repair the damage that took place while the camera was in their hands, and return the camera to me.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

katekev04
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post has been edited 7 months ago by katekev04.
Mar 24, 2017 15:39 |  #14

Thats the problem, they said "the problem was intermittent" They said they powered the camera a few times and it showed up 3 times but not everytime.

She asked me if I ever saw an error code and I said no. This is my first time dealing with New Jersey as I've called the Virginia one before over an issue with my video camera.

Now, do I pay now and chance it or just bite the bullet and go on vacation to the OBX where my camera could not work?

Frodge
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Mar 24, 2017 15:53 |  #15

I would elevate your phone calls to higher ups as suggested and demand they fix it, as it was working beforehand.

sponsored links

5,346 views & 12 likes for this thread
Sent 1DX Into Canon For Sensor Cleaning-Now They Want $850?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.