Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 23 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 20:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sent 1DX Into Canon For Sensor Cleaning-Now They Want $850?

katekev04
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Mar 24, 2017 16:22 |  #16

Update: I called back at 5pm and talked to a different service manager named Wayne. He actually talked to me and broke everything down. Said He would take off the labor and I said Thank you very much. Very different than the woman I talked to early who just gave me my walking papers. Wow...glad I called back.

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Mar 24, 2017 16:52 |  #17

Without the labor charge, this becomes a very different story. Yes, I would take that deal. $250 vs. $850.00? Sold.

This is a much happier outcome IMHO. :-)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mikeearly
Joined Aug 2007
Chester, VA
Mar 24, 2017 17:03 |  #18

katekev04 wrote in post #18309905 (external link)
Update: I called back at 5pm and talked to a different service manager named Wayne. He actually talked to me and broke everything down. Said He would take off the labor and I said Thank you very much. Very different than the woman I talked to early who just gave me my walking papers. Wow...glad I called back.

great job of hanging in there and following through..... sounds like a very reasonable deal .... congrats.

Mike Early
http://www.mdephoto.co​mexternal link

texaskev
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
Austin & Dallas Texas
Mar 25, 2017 03:50 |  #19

Glad that you ended up with a better outcome! Its a great camera.

Canon 1DX II, 1DX, 11-24 F4 L, 100 F2.8 L, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L II, 70-200 F2.8 L II

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Mar 25, 2017 07:36 |  #20

I have to say that I think the OP was very lucky that this issue made itself known at the exact time that it did. With electronic devices there is always a small possibility that something will fail every time you power it up. That probability is quite high when the device is new, nd then goes down to a very low value for a relatively large number of cycles and or hours of operation. After that relatively normal lifespan the probablity of failure climbs back up again as the product ages. So it could just as easily happened a cycle earlier, and the OP would have been left dealing with this issue on his own. Instead it happened to occur while in the hands of the Canon technician.

Although a sensor clean requires the camera to be powered up, it is in no way related to the failure of the main PCB, and Canon would have no liability in the matter. Unfortunately the replacement of the main PCB requires the almost complete disassembly of the camera body, so it is going to take a lot of time, and time equals money. It may well be that the person that the OP initially spoke to was not in a position to comp anything regarding the repair, I'm sure that this must happen a lot, so I would imagine that full price is the not unreasonable initial stance of the repair center.

So I think dropping the complete labour charge was an incredibly impressive offer for fixing something that is way out of the warranty period,, and in no way could be held to be the fault of the Canon repair center.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
2,894 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Nick5.
Mar 25, 2017 07:51 |  #21

katekev04 wrote in post #18309144 (external link)
Hello,

I sent my 1DX into Canon for a regular basic sensor cleaning. The camera has been performing fine with no problems. I get an email stating that my PCB Board Ass'y needs replacement, which shocked me.

What is this PCB board and if it was broke would the camera even function-would the user know something was wrong?

I'm lost to what would have caused this board to break, just regular day to day wear or something worse?

Any info on this subject would be appreciated.

Since you shipped it to them, correct?, maybe your camera needed just one little extra tough jolt to create the intermittent problem they saw, but you did not.
Anything can happen. And yes, anything can breakdown.
Your 1Dx is well worth the cost of repair.
We are fortunate hear in that the Canon Repair Facility is less than a 90 minute drive. And a great Vodka Pizza a few miles away from the facility............

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Nick5
Goldmember
2,894 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Nick5.
Mar 25, 2017 08:04 |  #22

Frodge wrote in post #18309878 (external link)
I would elevate your phone calls to higher ups as suggested and demand they fix it, as it was working beforehand.

How do you know if it was working properly.
How do you know if it was properly packed?

How do you know if it was dropped in shipping?
So many variable between the time a product was shipped and the receiver opened and diagnosed.
I may just send in all my broken stuff.......

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,049 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Mar 25, 2017 09:06 as a reply to post 18309715 |  #23

Integrated circuits do fail...ever had a memory card suddenly stop working? Other components soldered onto the boards fail, like resistors and capacitors. So even though a very small number of components on these circuits fail in infancy, more do fail at later times, too. The life statistics on anything electronic show this to be true, although we are much more accustomed to something mechanical or electro-mechanical to fail. electronics do die suddenly. In my case, a 5Dc suddenly stopped working in the middle of a shoot, after two shots had been taken moments earlier, so it was not even associated with a power-up per se (as BigAl007 had mentioned)...it went to sleep and would not wake up again. Simply would not turn on at all, the LCD on top showed nothing, in the viewfinder showed nothing, no little winking LED near the power switch when it was turned on.
I found an independent repair shop still working on the 5D (although Canon had discontinued servicing them) and the main circuit had to be replaced. It happens...in your case it was coincident with the Canon sensor cleaning visit. Canon could have run a diagnostic test as a routine check on the camera, part of an overall condition check which included a test of shutter speed timing circuit and the mechanical actions of the shutter, and the diagnostic found an issue when it cycle one of the circuits thru multiple cycles of a test. My computer runs a self test on itself on a regularly timed interval just sitting in my home, and I am glad to see a healthy computer report each time; it happened that your camera failed a test suite while it was in for shutter cleaning.
Our Canon electronic flashes fail, the trigger circuits fail, the charging circuits fail, the main circuit fails...things electronic fail suddenly.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

katekev04
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Mar 25, 2017 18:42 |  #24

I am very grateful that Canon is doing what they are doing. I paid all together $196.00 to insure and ship it to Canon and I think that's what made him also do what he did for me.
It's scary because I left UPS and the camera was just sitting there. I was very nervous that I did not see them pack it. When I spoke to the first service manager I explained to her that I would like to know if the package looks "rough" or maybe someone at UPS dropped it or spilled water on it, etc. etc. as far fetched as that may seem.
I work for a company that deals with Air Conditioner units that is very well known. The manufacturer of the units seems to always cover their products even out of warranty because we are very good customers. I've seen motherboards that costs up to $4000 sent out to us free of charge...our service men have to put them in though.
So this is why I choose Canon. Great customer service.

LJ3Jim
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Mar 25, 2017 22:24 |  #25

If you have enough points, Canon Professional Services Platinum level pays shipping and insurance both ways. They also give you 10 free maintenance items per year. It does cost $300 per year, but that is repaid on the first maintenance shipment. I agree with you on Canon's customer service. It has been very good in my experience. Like everyone, though (even your AC company), there are some customers that do have a bad experience once in a while.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

tonybear007
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
South Florida
Apr 04, 2017 00:54 |  #26

Planning to send in my 7D for minor repairs; pleased to hear about your pleasant experience.

EOS 77D, 7D, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Canon 77D Facebook Page (external link)
@Canon77D (external link)
Birds Spotted in S FL (external link)
@BirdsSpotted (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Apr 04, 2017 05:51 |  #27

tonybear007 wrote in post #18318918 (external link)
Planning to send in my 7D for minor repairs; pleased to hear about your pleasant experience.

What's wrong?

aliengin
Goldmember
1,148 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Apr 05, 2017 09:19 as a reply to post 18309856 |  #28

Could it be something happened on the way, during shipping?

Ali Engin Photographyexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Apr 05, 2017 09:47 |  #29

tonybear007 wrote in post #18318918 (external link)
Planning to send in my 7D for minor repairs . . .

Frodge wrote in post #18319008 (external link)
What's wrong?

I, too, would like to know what is wrong with Tonybear's 7D.

It is unusual for anything to go wrong with a modern DSLR, so if there is some defect, or if something broke or is malfunctioning, I would be interested in knowing what it is.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

tonybear007
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
South Florida
Apr 05, 2017 10:31 |  #30

Frodge wrote in post #18319008 (external link)
What's wrong?

The pop-up flash won't "pop" and there is an intermittent spot that appears on my photos that may suggest a thorough sensor cleaning is needed.

EOS 77D, 7D, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Canon 77D Facebook Page (external link)
@Canon77D (external link)
Birds Spotted in S FL (external link)
@BirdsSpotted (external link)

sponsored links

5,347 views & 12 likes for this thread
Sent 1DX Into Canon For Sensor Cleaning-Now They Want $850?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.