Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 18 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 13:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

coffeebrake in the kitchen

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Mar 18, 2017 13:22 |  #1

between other people's meals

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Mar 25, 2017 10:12 |  #2

Like a lot of your stuff Olafs, this one violates some rules. The huge black space on the left side, the cut-off clock, and the obstruction in the bottom right corner, for example. But your images excel at story-telling. And that's the important point. A good story will trump a technically and graphically perfect, yet vapid, shot any time.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,855 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Mar 25, 2017 11:17 |  #3

I'd like to see the clock not be clipped at the top; but otherwise, I rather like this one.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,970 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Mar 25, 2017 11:18 |  #4

Is it noon or midnight?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

scriveyn
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Post has been edited 7 months ago by scriveyn.
Mar 25, 2017 13:47 |  #5

I'm a tea person, I don't brake for coffee, but I like your shot. :-D

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 26, 2017 01:44 |  #6

joedlh wrote in post #18310469 (external link)
Like a lot of your stuff Olafs, this one violates some rules. The huge black space on the left side, the cut-off clock, and the obstruction in the bottom right corner, for example.

I think that each one of these broken rules makes it a better looking photo. Yes, better looking.

I really love that dark shadow in the lower right corner - it helps to tie the image to gather because it mimics the left side of the frame, which is all dark and indistinct (which I love).

The one thing that bothers me is the super-bright glare off of the door of the microwave oven or whatever it is. Because it is so much brighter than anything else, that is where my eye goes......but that glare highlight is not interesting, so my eye goes to something that is not interesting, which may be a problem. But other than that one thing I think it is a wonderful image and I love the broken rules - they make it all look better.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Mar 26, 2017 06:58 |  #7

joedlh wrote in post #18310469 (external link)
Like a lot of your stuff Olafs, this one violates some rules. The huge black space on the left side, the cut-off clock, and the obstruction in the bottom right corner, for example. But your images excel at story-telling. And that's the important point. A good story will trump a technically and graphically perfect, yet vapid, shot any time.

There are no rules. You create what's in your head in whatever way is necessary.

Snydremark wrote in post #18310519 (external link)
I'd like to see the clock not be clipped at the top; but otherwise, I rather like this one.

A cut off clock? Really.....? Man, you all are really searching for nits to pick. :rolleyes:

I like this one. It looks like she's been very busy and has just now gotten 2 free minutes to stop and have a sip.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Post has been edited 7 months ago by olafs osh.
Mar 26, 2017 07:28 |  #8

By me, the clock is there and it keeps together things, as the dead space there would be... I wouldn' t make the image then like that. Thus - the cutting off seems a bit irrelevant, if we think about overall thing. I even wouldn't want to have a whole clock there and thus introduce another bit of wall on top - it would steal too much attention that way.

About that glowing microwave - yeah - that's a tough one. I guess I didn't blow the highlights there, so it would be possible to turn that mofo down a little :]

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 26, 2017 08:01 |  #9

olafs osh wrote in post #18311127 (external link)
I even wouldn't want to have a whole clock there and thus introduce another bit of wall on top - it would steal too much attention that way.

Exactly right. There are sound reasons behind the small things in your compositions. Good reasons.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,970 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Mar 26, 2017 11:00 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18311033 (external link)
The one thing that bothers me is the super-bright glare off of the door of the microwave oven or whatever it is. Because it is so much brighter than anything else, that is where my eye goes......but that glare highlight is not interesting

Tom, for me that bright spot functions as a step on the "eye path" or whatever the route that your gaze takes is called. I tend to enter an image from the upper left, same as in reading. This image is all dark at the upper left, so we're only talking about the lit part, the scene in the doorway. The microwave door is the first of three prominent light areas. #2 is the coffee cup, which puts me right next to that important feature, the face. #3 is something cylindrical near the woman's right knee, perhaps a candle or a spool of string. Now check out the distances and angles that imaginary lines connecting these three spots create. There's a gentle, calm zigzag downward, with the longer segment below the shorter one. This "virtual movement" supports the theme of relaxing, taking a break, submitting to gravity.

So I'd say the glare has its job to do, only it's too big. Reducing its brightness or its area would help.

Another bright spot is a reflection on a knife blade at the left. This one is irrelevant and makes an unwanted side trip.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

karolinmetzger
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Heeswijk-Dinther
Mar 26, 2017 12:28 |  #11

What I like about this photo is that it tells a story. No aftificial setting, very down-to-earth.
But a dust bit is an odd element here.

sponsored links

1,128 views & 2 likes for this thread
coffeebrake in the kitchen
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.