Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 21 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 18:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

So who uses flash?

bigVinnie
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Roaming the USA
Mar 21, 2017 18:26 |  #1

I promised my wife we would spend more time this summer prowling the woods. Since I live in the Pacific North Wet it can be anything from majestic sunshine to gloomy rain forest.

So I'm thinking that some nice fill flash might be just the ticket. I did a search here and on youtube but did not really see a whole lot on the topic. There has been some old discussions about better beamers and some on the magbeam. I used to own a better beamer. Tossed it in the rubbish bin.

I'd like to know if folks here think flash is useful or if I'm wasting my time. Some photo's of setups and sample pictures of course would be appreciated.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

sponsored links
Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Larry Johnson.
Mar 21, 2017 19:06 |  #2

I don't, but I recall a photography show shot in the PNW. See season 4, episode 5, might get some pointers. Lots of other good episodes too. http://totallyoutdoors​imaging.com ...hoto-adventures-season-4/ (external link)

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 21, 2017 23:50 |  #3

bigVinnie wrote in post #18307318 (external link)
I'd like to know if folks here think flash is useful or if I'm wasting my time.

In my opinion, flash is most effective when it is at least several feet away from the camera, so that the light it provides is actually sidelight - 15 or 20 degrees off axis, which will bring out the texture of the subject's fur or feathers.

Getting a flash positioned 10 or 15 feet away form the camera is quite difficult to pull off when photographing wild animals, unless you are shooting a setup such as a favorite perch or a feeding station or a bird's nest - something where you can set everything up to shoot and then wait for the animal(s) to come in to that one exact spot that you have set up to shoot.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 22, 2017 00:58 |  #4

I just picked up a flash bracket and a better beamer. I'm going to try to at least do some low fill flash to see if it helps shoot in the PNW gloom. I know that getting the flash a foot or so off the lens axis is not a lot, but I want to at least give it a try. Hopefully with flash power dialed down, it will give just enough light to improve feather detail without causing steel eye other undesirable artifacts.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

mfturner
Joined Mar 2013
Longmont, CO
Mar 22, 2017 07:44 |  #5

Silly question, but is bouncing off of the tree canopy ever an option? You would need a highly focused flash beam to keep the main light from spoiling onto the subject, and shoot raw to fix WB, but the wedding photogs bounce off of unconventional stuff, and I've bounced off of a tree for a portrait before. It takes a powerful flash and a high ISO... And probably a closer subject than the average critter will allow...

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 22, 2017 09:35 as a reply to mfturner's post |  #6

I think that at typical wildlife distances, bouncing flash is not going to be an option. A better beamer or some such flash extender is going to be a practical necessity.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

bigVinnie
THREAD ­ STARTER
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Roaming the USA
Mar 22, 2017 09:52 |  #7

I agree. Bouncing is not really an option.

The FEW things I've seen on using flash say to set FEC to -2 to -3. That makes sense if the goal is to just add some highlights.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'll start ordering gear and start testing things out. Amazon has a fairly cheap Arca/Swiss flash bracket I'm willing to try. http://a.co/8bnFNbm (external link)

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Mar 23, 2017 17:56 |  #8

I dislike the artificial plastic look to the images. I do not use flash. todays cameras and software no longer require it for the most part IMO. Not to say there are not times that flash is a must. Like standing on the deck of some warm country drinking some exotic drink while snapping at humming birds in the rain forest.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

mkkaczy
Joined Mar 2012
Poland/Ireland
Mar 29, 2017 02:27 |  #9

I used it few times and only during the day, mainly for lightening shadow areas if the sun is in front of me. Night time photos with a lamp do not look good for me, so preferred to mask my body and smell and work with 85/1.2II L.
http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=17​691121

http://500px.com/mkkac​zy (external link)

sponsored links

1,313 views & 2 likes for this thread
So who uses flash?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.