Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds
Thread started 30 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 12:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Post your best Bird Portrait

Big ­ Ugly
Joined Nov 2011
Long Island, NY
Apr 01, 2017 14:00 |  #7756

Pine Warbler

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jack

sponsored links
bones519
Joined Dec 2011
Ontario, CAN
Apr 01, 2017 16:25 as a reply to post 18316653 |  #7757

An excellent image!

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Central Texas
Apr 01, 2017 16:31 |  #7758

Eaglet spreading it's wings.

HOSTED PHOTO

Bill being Smug (external link)

mikeivan
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
houston
Post has been edited 8 months ago by mikeivan.
Apr 01, 2017 16:43 |  #7759

Pectoral Sandpiper:
These birds spend the winter in South America and the summers in the arctic tundra of North America. They are migrating through Texas right now. A helpful birder told me where to find this specimen, although he called it a Baird's Sandpiper. So, not a lifer, but a seldom seen species for me. He was close, about 15 meters and very much undisturbed by my presence. Later, another birder, dressed in white, with a big white lens, approached and he soon departed.

These are the two best portraits, out of the several image I took, center focus point, Ai Servo, High speed continuous. One is in the sun, the other, light overcast.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

MIKEIVAN

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Apr 01, 2017 17:44 |  #7760

shooz wrote in post #18316509 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

I have a question... posting it here because I really respect the photographers in this section. Please give me an honest answer.
I have taken probably over a thousand Bluebird pictures this year. On this morning, the light was perfect, so I thought I would try to add a little colour to where the birds were perching. I placed the green moss up on the stump and waited for an opportunity.
I was pretty happy with the result and posted it on Facebook (Canadian Bird Photography), to favorable reviews.
But one guy, with a claimed "over 50 years of bird photography", is all over me for "staging" the photo. Even gone so far as calling me an "unethical Photographer". This is a wild bird, not baited or harmed in any way. I just liked the colour and the light.
I'm fairly new to bird photography and photography in general.
Would very much appreciate honest opinions here so as to not cross any lines in the future, Thanks.

It's called "making"a photograph as opposed to simply "taking" a photograph. I know several photographers that use their backyard as a studio for photographing birds. It's good clean fun and it's a great way to learn valuable field skills. Nothing you did was unethical and you succeeded at capturing a very nice shot.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
My Astro Gallery http://s3.photobucket.​com ...7/Nighthd/POTN%20Ga​llery/external link

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Apr 01, 2017 18:58 |  #7761

IMAGE: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Nighthd/Bird%20Photography/2017%20Watermarked%20Birds/KingfisherTC3Portmark.jpg~original

IMAGE: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Nighthd/Bird%20Photography/2017%20Watermarked%20Birds/kingfisherTC6Portmark.jpg~original

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
My Astro Gallery http://s3.photobucket.​com ...7/Nighthd/POTN%20Ga​llery/external link

mikeearly
Joined Aug 2007
Chester, VA
Apr 01, 2017 19:05 |  #7762

QUOTED IMAGE

I have a question... posting it here because I really respect the photographers in this section. Please give me an honest answer.
I have taken probably over a thousand Bluebird pictures this year. On this morning, the light was perfect, so I thought I would try to add a little colour to where the birds were perching. I placed the green moss up on the stump and waited for an opportunity.
I was pretty happy with the result and posted it on Facebook (Canadian Bird Photography), to favorable reviews.
But one guy, with a claimed "over 50 years of bird photography", is all over me for "staging" the photo. Even gone so far as calling me an "unethical Photographer". This is a wild bird, not baited or harmed in any way. I just liked the colour and the light.
Would very much appreciate honest opinions here so as to not cross any lines in the future, Thanks.

To me, if you did nothing to change the behavior or feeding habit of the bird, then all is good. Yes, you did "stage" the photo but so what ! I don't you are trying to tell anyone that this is a special bluebird that has a symbiotic relationship with green moss and therefore this shot belongs in a bird textbook. You shot it for color and light and did nothing to change / challenge the bird's behavior.

Mike Early
http://www.mdephoto.co​mexternal link

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Apr 01, 2017 19:18 |  #7763

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

GeoffSFAs10
Goldmember
1,087 posts
Joined Jul 2007
St.Louis, MO
Apr 01, 2017 19:40 |  #7764

get outta here with the red breast!! great shot!!

I saw what might be my last two for some time on wednesday and they stayed way up in the trees away from me.

5Dc | 7D | 17-40 | 85 F1.8 | 40 STM | 28-135 | 100-400 | 550EX
"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all"
Flickr (external link)

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
From Blackpool UK to Brisbane Australia 20 yrs ago
Apr 01, 2017 19:47 |  #7765

shooz wrote in post #18316569 (external link)
That's another odd thing. For all his supposed photographic experience, I've never seen him post a picture, or in fact, post at all. He seems to have come out, just to go after this picture.

There's always (at least) one. A vid was posted on FB showing a guy on a bridge netting hundreds of juvenile snakes that were being flushed downstream (at a rapid rate) in last weeks floods and re-locating them. The number of posts, some highly abusive, that the poor poster got from so-called wildlife experts saying that "snakes are good swimmers. leave 'em alone, you're interfering with the balance of nature" blahdy blah blah. I replied with the fact that some humans are good swimmers too but would never survive the floods what with the speed of the water and all the debris bashing against the bridge etc. Also, that the "balance of nature" had already been disturbed and that there was a high probability that the snakes were in trouble due to man's intervention in nature anyway. It gave them a new target if nothing else :-)

See my fish and fishy photography tips here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Canon 7D mk2 | Canon 6D, 100-400L mk2, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100 Macro | 24 EF-S 2.8 STM |Canon 1.4 Ex Mklll | Canon 580EXll| Kenko 12,20,36 Ext tubes |

Lycomech96
Joined Jul 2009
Williamsport. Lycoming County
Apr 01, 2017 20:11 |  #7766

QUOTED IMAGE

I think it's fantastic. Very creative and something I think is worth trying. It would be hard to top that image in a contest. Congratulations on a superb shot.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by Pondrader. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 01, 2017 20:12 |  #7767

GeoffSFAs10 wrote in post #18317030 (external link)
get outta here with the red breast!! great shot!!

I saw what might be my last two for some time on wednesday and they stayed way up in the trees away from me.

Ha thanks, their all up here to nest lol.. I'm getting flocks of all kinds right now.

Something you might like then.. Right out of the nest last year, He grew up to be a very cool little dude. Like having a Lab waiting outside the front door.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Lycomech96
Joined Jul 2009
Williamsport. Lycoming County
Apr 01, 2017 20:14 |  #7768

Pondrader wrote in post #18316565 (external link)
There is always going to be that person on the internet forums Dave, The know it all, The guy that needs to tell you how it is, we all have branches and sticks, and yes even bait !!... I put mine in this new fangled thing they call a Bird Feeder. If you think about it everything we shoot is baited.. we either sit at the food source or somewhere in between to find the birds and critters we all shoot. I for one grow intolerant of the purest. They are mostly people who never leave the couch and live a Facebook existence, which leads them to believe all the B.S that is conjured up in the minds of the same. You put moss on a log.. No one died or was injured lol Every bird I have posted were baited as goes for everyone here that shot a bird near a feeder or with any type of food or rodent in their mouths. You should not take it to heart. I have come to terms with it and so will you. Now about those sticks in the back ground lol ??

I'll bet the critic attracts birds with his stellar personality. See the Vultures circling above him?

aezoss
Joined Nov 2013
Apr 01, 2017 20:21 |  #7769

Raven.

Lee

HOSTED PHOTO

dochollidayda
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Apr 01, 2017 20:32 as a reply to aezoss's post |  #7770

Game of Thrones coming soon :)

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

1,720,582 views & 116124 likes for this thread
Post your best Bird Portrait
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.