Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 26 Mar 2017 (Sunday) 13:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Large Format Inkjet Printer

Arte ­ Automobilistica
308 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Devon UK
Mar 26, 2017 13:58 |  #1

Hi
I want advice on large format printers. I want to print canvases and am looking for a second hand Large Format Inkjet Printer to do the job. i am happy with 24" at present though would consider 48". I have done some research but the reviews are confusing and I was hoping for some personal views from members.

Thanks

NelPhotos.co.uk (external link)
Work: 7D + Sigma 100-300 4
Play: Kiss X4 + 15-85 IS + 10-22 + 50 1.8 II + Vivitar 1 70-210 3.5
EOS-M + 18-55 + FD 50 1.4 + FD 135 2.8 + Tamron 35-80 1A
G9, SX280 HS + CHDK, Casio EX-FH 100, Toshiba L505-144 & iPad 2

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,936 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 26, 2017 14:09 |  #2

I haven't used it in some time, but I was VERY happy with the IPF 5000 by Canon (only 17" wide, but now they have up to 60" wide printers in the series.)

I think Epson is the only other real option for high quality photo work, but the HPs are actually very common for heavy production work with vinyl options etc.. I might be wrong about there IQ, but last time I looked Epson and Canon had the leads on that aspect.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,998 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Mar 27, 2017 06:14 |  #3

Years ago Epson had a very large percentage of printers in professional printing businesses. In the last few years I don't know if Canon has become more popular among pros. However, Jake is right: it would probably be best to limit the choices to Epson or Canon.

Website (external link) |

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Mar 27, 2017 06:20 |  #4

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18312095 (external link)
Years ago Epson had a very large percentage of printers in professional printing businesses. In the last few years I don't know if Canon has become more popular among pros. However, Jake is right: it would probably be best to limit the choices to Epson or Canon.

I'd tend to agree with what they're saying. IMO Canon and Epson seem to have a great deal of that market so you'd probably find the largest number of used machines between the two of them. Many schools use them as well as printing service bureaus.

I wonder though about the used components in inkjet printers - may or may not be an issue. The machines themselves are pretty durable but how do the print heads themselves fair over time? I had an older and much smaller Epson about 10 years ago and eventually the print head became clogged. Is this something you can clean effectively on the larger units?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by ThreeHounds. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 27, 2017 07:59 as a reply to sapearl's post |  #5

I have Canon iPF 8400 & 9400 (44 and 60" respectively). Own the 8400 5 years and 9400 3, have never had a clog on either, nor a service call. The heads have a lifetime and are user replaceable, Epson requires a service call.
I owned Epson wide format printers in the past and they are very reliable also, I just like the Canons more.

The main plus with the Canon for me is not needing to stop printing to change from glossy media to matte black inks, then back, which also necessitates a little waste of ink each time.

I like Epsons media feed system more than Canons.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Arte ­ Automobilistica
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Devon UK
Apr 02, 2017 10:23 as a reply to ThreeHounds's post |  #6

Hi Thanks for taking the time to provide an in depth response. I was going for a HP Designjet 800 as it was cheap and had good reviews, but based on your advice have now bought a Canon IPF 6100 for £255 with almost full inks. Kind regards. M

NelPhotos.co.uk (external link)
Work: 7D + Sigma 100-300 4
Play: Kiss X4 + 15-85 IS + 10-22 + 50 1.8 II + Vivitar 1 70-210 3.5
EOS-M + 18-55 + FD 50 1.4 + FD 135 2.8 + Tamron 35-80 1A
G9, SX280 HS + CHDK, Casio EX-FH 100, Toshiba L505-144 & iPad 2

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Apr 10, 2017 09:51 as a reply to Arte Automobilistica's post |  #7

Best of luck with it. Their phone support is top notch as well, at least here in the states.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,643 views & 8 likes for this thread
Large Format Inkjet Printer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.