Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 04 Apr 2017 (Tuesday) 22:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best Printers?

DarthLopez
33 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Apr 04, 2017 22:48 |  #1

Any thoughts?

My Photo Gallery So far (external link)

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Apr 04, 2017 23:14 |  #2

What size do you want/need?

The Canon Pro-100/10 and 1 are excellent. The PRO-100 prints amazingly good and can sometimes be found for next to nothing due to bundles.
I have the PRO-10 and love it. Ink can get expensive but Canon pretty much give the paper away from free.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

DarthLopez
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Apr 04, 2017 23:42 |  #3

Well If i'm being honest I'm thinking I might try doing something a bit more professional. I've only taken like 1400 pictures so far and I'm getting pretty familiar with my camera. I'm not the best but I think with the software I have and the quality I can take It'd be nice.

I'm a former headphoto tech for walgreens so I'm basically looking to cut a middle man film printer out. I know how expensive it can get on the personal end but I also know our printers while great, are very prone to break down and image quality can very largely from the crew in a given photo department.

I want to be able to print 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 and similarly sized photos on my own with a reasonable expectation of consistent quality from my ink and printer. My current office printer will not do. It's not a travesty but it's simply not geared for photo or image printing. It's an office printer.

Low ink cost and high quality would be preferable but i realize it's unrealistic So basically anything that's going to give me clear well developed images in those sizes, that would also be likely to please potential clients.

Alternatively I do have a good cost effective Walgreens where I work now as a Pharmacy Tech that I can totally use my 15-25% discount off to basically make the photo department my personal printer. But assuming I want to cut that out. What would be a decent replacement. (Once Our LFP is fixed i plan on testing canvas out for some of the shots i have taken to see how they turn out.)

Those are my thoughts so far.

My Photo Gallery So far (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Apr 04, 2017 23:50 |  #4

The PRO-1 is a professional printer with large inkwells. I guess it's all about the quantity you think you might print. All three of those Canon printers are really, really good. Since you probably know a bit about color correction I think you would figure them out easily given just a little bit of time. The PRO-100 and 10 are not fast though. Not sure about the PRO-1 because I've never seen one.

The new imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 will print even larger, has more ink capacity and is faster.
https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...fessional-inkjet-printers (external link)

Also look into Epson offerings.
https://epson.com ...ork/Printers/Photo/​c/w120 (external link)

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Apr 04, 2017 23:51 |  #5

Some print cost analysis here...
http://www.redrivercat​alog.com/cost-of-inkjet-printing.html (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Apr 05, 2017 00:15 |  #6

I have the Canon Pro 100 and a Canon 9000. The thing I like about the Canon printers is that their printheads seem to clog less than their competition. I have never had a ink cartridge or print head clog even though it is often months between print jobs.

If I printed several times a week, I would probably get a Epson because they have printers that print larger than 13 x 19 that are not thousands of dollars. But, for my uses, the Canon wins but mainly because of the fact that I print only a few times a year.

My advise would be to get a Canon 100 from someone who bought a bundle and is willing to sell it cheap if you just plan to print occasionally. If you plan to print daily or several times a week, then the Epson would also be worth considering.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

mikeearly
Joined Aug 2007
Chester, VA
Apr 05, 2017 05:25 |  #7

I've had a number of Epson, HP and Canon high quality ink jet printers over the past 20 years and each one was great for what it was designed to do .... until it wasn't! It seems that the life span on high quality ink jets is not in synch with how I print -- very sporadically :) I will go for long periods at a time when I don't make any prints and then I find myself making dozens at once. Now trying to follow the guidance of my newest Canon and trying to make a print at least once a week -- and that has even been a challenge :)

The Epson printers were great until the heads started plugging up and then it took a massive amount of effort to clean them up so I could make a print. I switched to HP for my big (20"+) work for a while and loved the fact that the print heads were easily replaceable - also loved I could make my own profiles - but then one morning it would not start up and the fees to have someone come look at it (it was out of warranty) was horrendous. That HP was replaced by a Canon IPF 2000 and so far (about a year) it has been great.

My current printers are my Epson 4880 (the inks have much improved in terms of not clotting) and the Canon 2000.

At the size you are looking for I think it is really going to depend on which features and usability of the Canon, Epson or HP turns you on the most. Each is going to have its fan base but to me they are all relatively similar. YMMV

Mike Early
http://www.mdephoto.co​mexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
50,869 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Apr 05, 2017 16:14 |  #8

I found the lifespan of consumer level inkjet printers to be 1-2 years. I gave up on them and I use a laser printer at home now, which obviously won't do photos well.

If you want a good printer that will last, it will cost you. Then you have to buy paper, inj, repairs, and probably replace it occasionally anyway. Then when you do print something you'll probably print 5 copies, at least to start with, until you get really good at it. Because most people have limited wall space you may never get really good at it.

IMHO you're far better off using a pro lab for printing.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,047 views & 4 likes for this thread
Best Printers?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.