Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk
Thread started 21 Aug 2015 (Friday) 20:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Motocross Shooters

onesickpuppy
733 posts
Joined Sep 2004
Spokane WA
Mar 05, 2016 01:16 as a reply to post 17709807 |  #16

I have grown up with the 1D series bodies......1DMK2n, 1D3, 1D4, now the 1Dx and also have the 7D2

And....I shoot mostly motorsports as my primary..and wildlife secondary

Comparing the 1D4 to the 7D2........85% of the time...I wish I had it back....here are my thoughts to that:

First....the 1D4 AF is still better at grabbing and maintaining AF
The ability to determine focus is more consistent (to me)
The 1.3 crop produces some solid images that I don't have to massage
ISO comparison....I'd still give a very slight advantage to the 1D4 (to me)

Now...why did I take up the 7D2....mostly for the extra "reach" of the FOV from being a 1.6 crop.
Second....the viewfinder view...is like the 1Dx...and I figured that my "mind" would work easier since both look the same in the viewfinder

What I feel are let downs.....
Using off center focal points don't give consistent sharpness/locked focus like the 1D4
Tends to need slightly higher shutter speeds to get consistently sharp images than that of the 1D4
You still can't beat the battery life of at 1D series battery...even with a grip on the 7D2 using two batteries

I'm at the point that I'll most likely save up and try to find a mint 1D4 on the used market...keep the 7D2 as backup and
extra reach use.

Rod
Canon
1Dx, 1D4, 100 2, 100L 2.8 IS, 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70L 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 400L 2.8 IS, 1.4X TC vIII, 2X TC vIII, 600EX-RT x4, ST-E3-RT, RRS TVC-33, RRS BH-55

bopper
Joined Jul 2016
Apr 05, 2017 12:51 |  #17

ALAMODEstudios wrote in post #17690961 (external link)
Battle for Ohio State Motocross Championship (external link)

check link above, it goes to a gallery I created [facebook]. Race was from this past weekend. Canon 70-200mmm f/2.8 IS II & 7DII

i run the same gear as you and do snowmobiles mostly. curious to see what your focusing on? riders head, torso, the quad or bike?

5,137 views & 2 likes for this thread
Motocross Shooters
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.