Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 06 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 10:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Off-Camera Flash at concerts

JoseCanseco
Joined Dec 2012
ON, Canada
Apr 06, 2017 10:02 |  #1

Do many people use OCF at concerts? I'm talking about the lower budget venues that have lousy lighting. It drives me nuts when the venue thinks it's cool to have green lights on the artist all night, and I don't always want to convert everything to b&w. I'll set up a lightstand at sidestage or use a clamp... always after getting the soundguy's approval of course. Here's a couple examples where, without my flash, the artists would be purple or blue.

Just curious if others do this, and if they can share any tips.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My name is Jeff, not actually Jose Canseco.
Websiteexternal link Facebookexternal link Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
scriveyn
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Apr 06, 2017 10:17 |  #2

At the venues I've been shooting at (seating around 50-150) I don't remember anyone ever using flash (on or off camera). Bad lighting the way you describe it, yes I've experienced it too, tough luck, but still for me flash at a concert is a no go. Maybe it's different at wild party-style performances.

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

Nethawked
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Apr 06, 2017 11:36 |  #3

I've never been to a show or venue that allows flash, and even if they did I wouldn't use one. They're both rude and disruptive and counter to the purpose.

JoseCanseco
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2012
ON, Canada
Apr 06, 2017 14:27 |  #4

I should add that I'm doing this at paid gigs. The band wants me there. I'm not just showing up at random clubs with a lightstand under my arm.

I agree that throwing flash at an unsuspecting artist is not cool.

My name is Jeff, not actually Jose Canseco.
Websiteexternal link Facebookexternal link Flickrexternal link

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,584 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Annapolis Maryland
May 13, 2017 13:52 |  #5

I think BJWOK has posted up about using a small amount of flash set up hidden on stage, to fill the artist face. You might search for it or PM him. It was a surprisingly nice explanation, just can't recall where it is. But I think it was on here, as i don't do much on Blogs. He tours with bands hired by them for weeks on end.

I used to use flash at a monthly Saturday Night concert by regional bands at a local church. We're friends with everyone there and have known the couple that runs this event for nearly a lifetime. I used to set up lights and rely on flash, worked great, even though a distraction. Super sharp images! Most of these bands are excellent musicians, but have nothing more than smartphone pics on their websites. Some bands really wanted the colors though, so I eventually switched to higher ISO, and sold my (2) 40D's for (2) 7D's.

My last shoot had LED lighting, all Red pointed at the female singers body instead of her face. Horrific to work with but surprisingly nice dramatic images in the end. Feel free to look at my Flickr to see what I've done. The first album is of "Signals"; concert held at a local bar.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Sunpak 622 Pro, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 50/1.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Quantums 1 & 1+, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

BushWacker
Goldmember
1,545 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2011
Lake Tahoe, USA
May 25, 2017 21:00 |  #6

I think it's a great idea and I'm going to see if I can get something worked out at a small venue I shoot at regularly. I'm thinking I can hide them behind the speakers with clamps and face they 45 degrees up but facing towards the band with a bounce reflector on each. The crowd probably won't even see them or the flash. Dial them down to -2 to -3 stops so they fill in shadows and provide some color but don't distract the band members. This is a venue that hold up to 300 people but usually it's 50-150 so it's a very friendly atmosphere.

This is one of those venues that doesn't have much lighting. They have a couple LED's that they turn on either in Blue, Green or Red and just leave them all the same for the whole show. I'm thinking the band members would care and will probably be all for it if they can use any of the photo's they'll be elated.

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Flickr (external link)| Gear List --------------

sponsored links

3,893 views & 2 likes for this thread
Off-Camera Flash at concerts
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.