Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 02 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 19:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

DOF and obliterated backgrounds

iowajim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2011
North Central Iowa
Apr 06, 2017 06:47 |  #16

Yikes, not too many options for an 85mm f1.2. I started down this path thinking 35mm for full-body shots at 10', with a background at 5' behind the subject. And then the question became one of whether the 35mm f1.2 would be necessary, or perhaps the 18-35mm 1.8. I might have to settle for f1.2 (settle?) and have a non-descript background slightly out of focus.

Still, all good information. Thanks for the help! For now, I'll keep to the outdoors with my 70-200mm. That gives me a lot more room to stage a portrait.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

sponsored links
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,314 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Apr 06, 2017 06:50 |  #17

iowajim wrote in post #18320913 (external link)
Yikes, not too many options for an 85mm f1.2. I started down this path thinking 35mm for full-body shots at 10', with a background at 5' behind the subject.

And a million good photographs have been taken with that configuration. You will have to plan and choose your background rather than going for "certain obliteration" with the lens, that's all.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,564 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Apr 06, 2017 09:13 |  #18

Here is another example of a partially obliterated background which will hopefully give you a better sense of your options. This is from an extremely low-light wedding where I was using the 70 - 200 at f/2.8.

My focus point is on the B & G, and the lens is extended to 200mm. At that shallow DOF the deep background has been obliterated into an OOF abstract. The priest is totally unsharp but focused enough to add to the sense of context. Aesthetically your eye is first drawn to the bride, her bouquet and then the groom, all of which are in the sharpest focus.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 06, 2017 11:37 |  #19

iowajim wrote in post #18320913 (external link)
Yikes, not too many options for an 85mm f1.2. I started down this path thinking 35mm for full-body shots at 10', with a background at 5' behind the subject. And then the question became one of whether the 35mm f1.2 would be necessary, or perhaps the 18-35mm 1.8. I might have to settle for f1.2 (settle?) and have a non-descript background slightly out of focus.

Still, all good information. Thanks for the help! For now, I'll keep to the outdoors with my 70-200mm. That gives me a lot more room to stage a portrait.

IMO, full-body shots are often overrated. When you're forced to work in a constrained space, 3/4 shots are way easier to pull off, and almost always just as interesting.

I'd rather have a top-notch 3/4 shot than a full-length shot that was forced and imperfect due to space and set constraints.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

iowajim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2011
North Central Iowa
Post has been edited 2 months ago by iowajim.
Apr 06, 2017 21:17 |  #20

sapearl wrote in post #18321001 (external link)
Here is another example of a partially obliterated background which will hopefully give you a better sense of your options. This is from an extremely low-light wedding where I was using the 70 - 200 at f/2.8.

My focus point is on the B & G, and the lens is extended to 200mm. At that shallow DOF the deep background has been obliterated into an OOF abstract. The priest is totally unsharp but focused enough to add to the sense of context. Aesthetically your eye is first drawn to the bride, her bouquet and then the groom, all of which are in the sharpest focus.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by sapearl in
./showthread.php?p=183​21001&i=i231195410
forum: General Photography Talk

I understand and appreciate your point, and I've used the technique in order to preserve the context while also putting the emphasis where i want, but that's not my goal right now.

Edit: I've tried to do so well in the past, but that photo is terrific!

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

iowajim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2011
North Central Iowa
Apr 06, 2017 21:22 |  #21

RDKirk wrote in post #18320915 (external link)
And a million good photographs have been taken with that configuration. You will have to plan and choose your background rather than going for "certain obliteration" with the lens, that's all.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

Jim, in Iowa

sponsored links

4,035 views & 18 likes for this thread
DOF and obliterated backgrounds
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.