Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 10 Apr 2017 (Monday) 01:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5D MkIV using two memory cards - confused. Totally.

AdRex
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Apr 10, 2017 01:00 |  #1

Okay, I'm baffled.
With my 5D MkIII when I used two memory cards I had it set so that Card 1 would fill & then the camera would start writing to Card 2 automatically.
I cannot for the life of me get my MkIV to do the same.

It is either;
- Duplicating images on both cards
or
- Writing/reading to one card only ignoring the other.

Sorry to be asking such a dufus question but can someone please tell me which setting(s) I need to change to have it auto-switch?
I ***think*** I've tried everything but obviously not as I can't get it to work...

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,461 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Post has been edited 2 months ago by DreDaze.
Apr 10, 2017 02:42 |  #2

if you look at page 166 of your manual it seems to explain it...it looks like under the wrench 1 tab, you can set 'record func+card/folder sel.'...hit that, hit 'record func.' and it looks like you're looking for 'auto switch card'

but i dunno...i don't have a 5DIV...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,789 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Apr 10, 2017 06:04 |  #3

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

#BillyWhizz

AdRex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Apr 10, 2017 06:16 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #4

Thanks guys.
I had that set yet still it seems to be duplicating files & other weird things.
I may have to do a reset to factory settings or something as it's all very odd.
Cheers

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,349 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 10, 2017 09:39 |  #5

Do you understand that in standard mode, the file is written to the 'selected' card?

• In Standard mode, the image is written to the card selected in 'Record/Play'
  • In Auto Switch mode, the image is also written to the card selected in 'Record/Play' but when that card it full it switches to the second card.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

1,020 views & 3 likes for this thread
5D MkIV using two memory cards - confused. Totally.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.