Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 10 Apr 2017 (Monday) 16:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon Digital Photo Professional and RAW Batch Processing

Transient ­ W.A.S.P.
Joined May 2016
Prague, Czech Republic
Apr 10, 2017 16:56 |  #1

Hello, all. I seem to be having some trouble with Digital Photo Professional when batch processing RAW files. I am editing the pictures in RAW, then when I batch process them, the resulting JPEGs don's match the RAW files. There are some details that are not being transferred, such as color and sharpness. When comparing the photos side by side you can see real differences. Why is this happening? I am saving the RAW image before batch processing, so I don't know why the JPEG is missing some of the changes to the image. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Transient W.A.S.P.

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Apr 10, 2017 19:26 |  #2

What version of DPP are you using? And, what process are you using to select and apply adjustments to the Raw images?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,437 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Slovenia
Apr 11, 2017 08:14 |  #3

I don't use the batch tools much, but maybe I can help.

The 'File > Batch process' command only converts and saves a selected group of images at their respective momentary stage of development.

If you want to re-apply the edits performed on one image onto a group of other images, you must either use the 'Copy recipe - Paste recipe' commands (Right click on image) or, in the thumbnail view, select the pictures you want to batch-edit and then invoke the tool palette (Ctrl T) to edit all the selected pictures simultaneously. When done, you would 'File > Batch process' to save them all in one sweep.

Transient ­ W.A.S.P.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2016
Prague, Czech Republic
Apr 11, 2017 11:46 as a reply to agedbriar's post |  #4

Thank you for the info. I ran the batch process tool after I finished editing each RAW file, but it didn't seem to capture the changes made. But, maybe the copy recipe solution is the answer.

Cheers,
Transient W.A.S.P.

Transient ­ W.A.S.P.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2016
Prague, Czech Republic
Apr 11, 2017 11:48 as a reply to tonylong's post |  #5

Version 3.13.50. I am opening the RAW files, editing them with the DPP tool palette, then running the batch process to convert them to JPEGs.

Cheers,
Transient W.A.S.P.

Tixeon
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Apr 11, 2017 12:51 |  #6

What are you using to view the JPG's ?

Tim
______
Any cat owner will tell you -- no one really owns a cat...

Transient ­ W.A.S.P.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2016
Prague, Czech Republic
Apr 11, 2017 13:15 as a reply to Tixeon's post |  #7

Canon DPP. The RAW and JPEG are right next to each other and you can see the difference.

Cheers,
Transient W.A.S.P.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,038 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Apr 11, 2017 13:27 |  #8

What quality level are you using for the JPEG conversion?

Mark

PhotosGuy
74,726 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Apr 11, 2017 15:35 |  #9

This goes back to 2011, but might be helpful: http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=13146400#post13​146400

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Transient ­ W.A.S.P.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2016
Prague, Czech Republic
Apr 22, 2017 10:01 as a reply to rrblint's post |  #10

Highest quality.

Cheers,
Transient W.A.S.P.

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Apr 24, 2017 05:03 |  #11

Are you saving the jpeg files in sRGB?

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

yb98
Goldmember
2,574 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Paris
Apr 24, 2017 09:16 |  #12

concerning sharpening, you have to compare at 100% view in DPP because in other views DPP applies some extra-sharpening that will not appear in the final image.
Concerning the colors, have you checked the "Embed ICC profile" checkbox ?

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channelexternal link
New Version DPP++ 11.3 releasedexternal link

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,838 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Apr 24, 2017 11:15 |  #13

yb98 wrote in post #18336810 (external link)
concerning sharpening, you have to compare at 100% view in DPP because in other views DPP applies some extra-sharpening that will not appear in the final image.
Concerning the colors, have you checked the "Embed ICC profile" checkbox ?

There were a lot of complaints about DPP looking so great in quick check - full screen and no matter what you did using DPP or PS it couldn't be matched. I was one of them. I found this one day on another site about 7 years ago.

I observed this many years ago when there was a rash of people complaining that their exported jpgs didn't look as good as they did in DPP. DPP's downsizing algorithm for 'fit to screen' display is very good - contrasty which creates the illusion of sharpness - while other applications sacrificed quality for speed. And so the stock reply to all those complaints became, "Compare at 100%."

Image Editing OK

Websiteexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,924 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Apr 24, 2017 11:18 |  #14

I don't use DPP for sharpening, I would rather my sharpening be the very last thing I do to an image after doing all other post tweaks, like NR, contrast, etc. I usually keep DPP (and in-camera settings) down a bit, then do the sharpening in photoshop as one of the final steps.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,838 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Apr 24, 2017 11:25 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18336996 (external link)
I don't use DPP for sharpening, I would rather my sharpening be the very last thing I do to an image after doing all other post tweaks, like NR, contrast, etc. I usually keep DPP (and in-camera settings) down a bit, then do the sharpening in photoshop as one of the final steps.

Yeah I did that for years as well. Then I got into event photography and it was a nightmare. No matter how many times I tried to set up scripts, etc never went well for mass edits. That is why I slowly transitioned to Adobe when I got LR.

I guess you make a good point. DPP is sharpening before downsizing. I was still pretty impressed with the results. I haven't tried converting using DPP for years but since getting my 5D4 I started to goof around with it a bit more. I use it if I don't feel like converting to a DNG for CS6.

Image Editing OK

Websiteexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

3,906 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Digital Photo Professional and RAW Batch Processing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.