Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses
Thread started 12 Sep 2016 (Monday) 09:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need a new, full frame zoom lens for wedding photography

Cleveland-Wedding-Photographer
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Sep 12, 2016 09:39 |  #1

Suggestions? Shooting with a 750 and need something that will allow me to stay on the outskirts of a wedding ceremony and still get the "money shots" when the time called for it.

If you have a favorite prime, I'd like to hear what/why for that too!

Shawn Moreau
Cleveland, Colorado, Destination Wedding Photographer (external link)
Moreau & Company Wedding Photography
Located in Cleveland, Ohio

sponsored links
smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Sep 12, 2016 18:25 |  #2

70-200 maybe. I think one guy on these forums (umphotography maybe) uses a Sigma 120-300 for the same sort of scenario you are asking about.

Primes, well I guess it depends how far back you are and how you want to frame the shot. I reckon anything from the new Nikkor 105 and up could be used to great effect

Gear List

AZ ­ Pix
546 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 12, 2016 22:23 |  #3

In my opinion (however limited when it comes to weddings), nothing beats a 70-200 2.8 for doing exactly what you described. You can do a bunch with an 85mm 1.4 or 1.8, and I would guess even with a 105mm or 135mm prime, but if the goal is to stay on the outskirts and snipe, the pro zoom is where it is. I know someone who does quite well sneaking around with his 200mm F2, on one body and 85mm 1.4 on another, but that's a different category of shooter all together. What's in your wallet?

THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Sep 13, 2016 08:06 as a reply to smythie's post |  #4

I love the 70-200! It really is amazing. I have a close friend who let's me borrow his whenever we shoot weddings (and he's not using it of course). My fear is that I'll invest in the 70-200 and then find out that there's a better option out there.

Shawn Moreau

THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Sep 13, 2016 08:09 |  #5

AZ Pix wrote in post #18126154 (external link)
In my opinion (however limited when it comes to weddings), nothing beats a 70-200 2.8 for doing exactly what you described. You can do a bunch with an 85mm 1.4 or 1.8, and I would guess even with a 105mm or 135mm prime, but if the goal is to stay on the outskirts and snipe, the pro zoom is where it is. I know someone who does quite well sneaking around with his 200mm F2, on one body and 85mm 1.4 on another, but that's a different category of shooter all together. What's in your wallet?

I'm glad to hear that. I have my eye on the 70-200, but want to make sure that there's not a secret amazing alternative that I'm unaware of... because I'd find out about it 2 days after my purchase.

Shawn Moreau

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Sep 13, 2016 08:26 |  #6

If you want flexibility in the telephoto region, there's not really much better, particularly if you match it with a D810. The big Sigma I mentioned gives a bit more range but at a big weight disadvantage and so it's much harder to handhold for a long period.

I strongly doubt you'll be disappointed with the 70-200 VR2

Gear List

eth3rton
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
KY, USA
Oct 15, 2016 08:11 |  #7

The 70–200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR (external link) (VR3) was recently announced as well.

BAngene
Joined May 2016
Miami, FL USA
Jan 13, 2017 11:41 |  #8

The 70-200 2.8 VR is going to be the best bet here Shawn. That is because you will be on the outskirts like you want and you will be able to nail the shots even in low light. I've never had a better lens for doing what you are talking about and it will be $2k well spent if wedding photography is what you do all the time. Then when you decide you want to do some sports on the side in a dimly light gym, you'll also find this lens will be your best friend.

Miami wedding photographer (external link)

olsonsview
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2017
Jan 15, 2017 06:31 |  #9

I am a retired wedding photographer. For the task you described: you would be hard pressed to beat the 70-200 range of fast VR zooms, f2.8, that Nikon has produced. I used one for years, and it never failed to get me amazing shots in even very dim light. The VR feature was indispensable, and the f2.8 constant aperture made focus precise. I tried third party zooms, but was never as satisfied as I was with the Nikon product. It was a lot of money for me to spend when my children were in college, but I consider that lens a good investment to this day.

Boringjay
22 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Apr 11, 2017 21:03 |  #10

i would recommend nikon 24-70

sponsored links

1,811 views & 2 likes for this thread
Need a new, full frame zoom lens for wedding photography
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.