Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

cccc
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
Sacramento, CA
Apr 01, 2017 12:18 as a reply to post 18316331 |  #8971

Really interested in hearing more about this... sounds like a log profile

sponsored links
seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Apr 01, 2017 13:32 |  #8972

Reminds me of my landscape photos when I do brackets and mask in with luminosity selections. Flat and boring with so much tonal range until you add contrast. Am I understanding what you're saying right?

On a side note...I've been toning a lot of my real estate stuff back from 17mm and going into the 20-24mm range. It really makes you think a lot more about the composition of even a real estate space and I find that the look is much better with less distorted figures. Are most of you still just shooting as wide as possible for real estate?

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40 f4 L | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Lots of lights | A huge wishlist | A big dream
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Post has been edited 6 months ago by dmward.
Apr 01, 2017 13:51 |  #8973

cccc wrote in post #18316672 (external link)
Really interested in hearing more about this... sounds like a log profile

Not knowledgable enough to understand the math.
In Adobe DNG Profile Maker its just a straight line lower left black to upper right white.
The base Adobe profile has a significant curvature with steep ramp in the blacks and shallow ramp to the white clipping point. The intent is good mid-tones and compressed shadows and highlight which is, in my view counter to what I want as a starting point with a raw file.

Here is a Sony file with both profiles applied.

In this particular case, even the linear curve version has blocked black in a corner of the television screen and clipped highlights at in the upper window pane.

Base curve

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Linear curve

HOSTED PHOTO

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Post has been edited 6 months ago by dmward.
Apr 01, 2017 14:15 |  #8974

seaLere wrote in post #18316738 (external link)
Reminds me of my landscape photos when I do brackets and mask in with luminosity selections. Flat and boring with so much tonal range until you add contrast. Am I understanding what you're saying right?

On a side note...I've been toning a lot of my real estate stuff back from 17mm and going into the 20-24mm range. It really makes you think a lot more about the composition of even a real estate space and I find that the look is much better with less distorted figures. Are most of you still just shooting as wide as possible for real estate?

I understand what you're saying about the distortion at 16mm. I try to keep away from the real wide view but the realitors around here all seem to all want the wider view. Only time I've ever had a problem with a realtor was when I used a 24 TSE. They said it was too cramped looking. Go figure.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 02, 2017 10:44 |  #8975

dmward wrote in post #18316748 (external link)
Not knowledgable enough to understand the math.
In Adobe DNG Profile Maker its just a straight line lower left black to upper right white.
The base Adobe profile has a significant curvature with steep ramp in the blacks and shallow ramp to the white clipping point. The intent is good mid-tones and compressed shadows and highlight which is, in my view counter to what I want as a starting point with a raw file.

Here is a Sony file with both profiles applied.

In this particular case, even the linear curve version has blocked black in a corner of the television screen and clipped highlights at in the upper window pane.

Base curve

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by dmward in
./showthread.php?p=183​16748&i=i249932199
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Linear curve

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by dmward in
./showthread.php?p=183​16748&i=i25052421

Wow, #1 looks pretty deliverable for an RE client.

CC welcome.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Apr 04, 2017 23:05 |  #8976

joooowan wrote in post #18317471 (external link)
Wow, #1 looks pretty deliverable for an RE client.

It is.
The reason for the example of the base and linear tone curve options with camera profiles is to illustrate an easy way, in Lightroom, to get control of an image when there is a bit more dynamic range required to keep an image within the bounds of Lightroom processing parameters.

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 12, 2017 01:49 |  #8977

The Living area is 1 frame with highlights toned down, the dining room is 3 frames

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

CC welcome.

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Apr 12, 2017 05:42 as a reply to joooowan's post |  #8978

Looks like your flash was almost pointed straight into the rooms...or on its highest settings. it looks "flashy"...overly bright nearest the camera, and you can see the flash in the upper left corner of the window in the second image.

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Post has been edited 6 months ago by joooowan.
Apr 12, 2017 10:57 |  #8979

digirebelva wrote in post #18325807 (external link)
Looks like your flash was almost pointed straight into the rooms...or on its highest settings. it looks "flashy"...overly bright nearest the camera, and you can see the flash in the upper left corner of the window in the second image.

Thanks, probably tone it down a little before I deliver it in a today.

CC welcome.

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 14, 2017 18:25 |  #8980

Blending Ambients

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

CC welcome.

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 14, 2017 20:49 |  #8981

ambient only in the bathroom, my life probably would've been a lot easier if I used the strobe though. I thought an all white interior would be a piece of cake, not quite the case...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

CC welcome.

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 16, 2017 19:57 |  #8982

I'm currently photographing some retail developments. Some from today

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

CC welcome.

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Apr 16, 2017 20:21 |  #8983

joooowan wrote in post #18329770 (external link)
I'm currently photographing some retail developments. Some from today

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by joooowan in
./showthread.php?p=183​29770&i=i146470929
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by joooowan in
./showthread.php?p=183​29770&i=i260959933

My opinion - for what it's worth - is that they are too light. My first impression was too light. In LR I would pull the exposure down and then either raise the shadows and/or blacks slider or paint some exposure into the shadows with the adjustment brush. Another approach that might work well is to use the radial filter to maintain the shadows (even lighten them in the second) while pulling the sunlit portions down.

Two more quibbles - one major and one minor. The big one first. The guy on the motorcycle in the second shot is a big distraction and the pickup is also a distraction. Wait for the traffic to clear before making the shot. I also think it could be framed better. I presume the restaurant is the subject but better framing would clear that up.

Second one. Not so big but the guy at the ATM in the first shot is a distraction. Wait for him to leave.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Apr 16, 2017 20:39 |  #8984

Looking at the second one a bit more, move angle the camera a bit to the left to take in more of the restaurant and place the "Sizzler" sign near the right edge. This will eliminate much of the clutter on the corner as well as the Carl's Jr. sign. You will probably want to go to PS to remove the speed limit sign and, maybe, the stoplight pole as well. As I said before, wait for the traffic to clear and crop much of the street. This should bring the viewer's attention squarely to the restaurant.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 18, 2017 00:26 |  #8985

yes on the exposure, I might go back again and re-do a few shot.

Also.. Pretty impressed by the dynamic range on a Phantom 4 Pro..

HOSTED PHOTO

CC welcome.

sponsored links

1,166,812 views & 1136 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.