Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 29 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 10:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lens switches keep turning off.

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Martin Dixon.
Apr 01, 2017 03:00 as a reply to post 18316372 |  #16

Good idea, but I think it would slip off the raised swich panel. Perhaps sticking velcro pads on would work - though I'm not madly keen on potentially damaging the lens allbeit cosmetically. Also would obscure focus distance window (perhaps I don't really look at that!).

flickrexternal link Editing OKexternal link

sponsored links
Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Apr 01, 2017 03:17 as a reply to post 18316337 |  #17

Tony,

In principle you are right, but on a number of occasions I reach for the camera and shoot to find AF was off, and IS can be off for a while before I notice. I spoils the idea of a rapid camera strap if you have to check settings every time you go fotr the camera.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,262 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 01, 2017 14:57 |  #18

A simple wide rubber band would work! I know they do come wider than this 1/4", but even this seems to be workable and it does not slide that readily. I rarely if ever bother looking at the pathetic distance scales of typical AF lenses, so it does not bother me that the window is hidden by the rubber band.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/switches-1_zpsirbeqwse.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,077 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Apr 01, 2017 15:42 |  #19

Try some masking tape. Is tape here...don't get too fancy and technical, fyi... :)

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Apr 03, 2017 12:12 |  #20

TooManyShots wrote in post #18316818 (external link)
Try some masking tape. Is tape here...don't get too fancy and technical, fyi... :)

Why masking tape instead of gaffer's tape? Wont the adhesive on masking tape leave an unwanted residue, and/or kind of melt when in heat, and then the unwanted adhesive residue on the lens attracts and holds dirt and fine debris? Sheesh! Seems like gaffer's tape would be so much better.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Apr 03, 2017 12:49 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18318372 (external link)
Why masking tape instead of gaffer's tape? Wont the adhesive on masking tape leave an unwanted residue, and/or kind of melt when in heat, and then the unwanted adhesive residue on the lens attracts and holds dirt and fine debris? Sheesh! Seems like gaffer's tape would be so much better.

Generally I find it is Gaffer tape that leaves a sticky residue behind when it is either removed, or eventually gets old, tired, dried out and falls off. Masking tape on the other hand was developed by 3M as a special low tack adhesive tape for use in the automotive paint spraying industry. It's whole purpose was to be easily removable, without either leaving a residue or lifting the new paint, so that different areas could be easily masked off. Apparently the brand name that was used for this new product was Scotch, which was used as a derogatory term by some of 3M's customers in the area of the US the company was from. The clear tape that now also bears the Scotch branding was a later development, introduced for sealing clear plastic bags, but was made redundant by the advent of heat sealing systems, before it could actually get into production. The clear tape did though prove popular for many other applications. Clear Scotch tape has a stronger more permanent adhesive than the original paper based masking tape.

No I am not a walking encyclopedia on adhesive tape, I just happened to see this Youtube video (external link) (4' 35") about it a week or so ago. I did the above reply from memory, I wasn't going to watch it again, so there may be the odd slight error.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,077 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Apr 03, 2017 13:40 |  #22

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18318372 (external link)

They are cheaper and easier to find. Try your local Staples. The 3M blue one is nice. No residues. In fact, I use the blue one to tape my medium format negatives when doing my DSLR scanning. For the graffe tape? I couldn't find them locally. One place close by that sells them is Micro Center. $20 for a big roll.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Apr 04, 2017 23:51 |  #23

Yeah the blue masking tape is the one that doesn't leave residue.....but then again, it doesn't stick as well as the 'regular' masking tape. If there is pressure and rubbing against the blue masking tape it tends to come off rather easily. It seems that everything is a compromise of one sort or another.

And yeah, I wouldn't expect to find gaffers tape locally - it's one of those thing that you order online and then it shows up in your mailbox a few days later.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Apr 05, 2017 10:48 |  #24

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18319815 (external link)
Yeah the blue masking tape is the one that doesn't leave residue.....but then again, it doesn't stick as well as the 'regular' masking tape. If there is pressure and rubbing against the blue masking tape it tends to come off rather easily. It seems that everything is a compromise of one sort or another.

And yeah, I wouldn't expect to find gaffers tape locally - it's one of those thing that you order online and then it shows up in your mailbox a few days later.

I find it odd that in the US you cannot easily buy a roll of gaffer tape. here in the UK they have rolls of unbranded gaffer tape in just about every "Pound" store, as well as most larger supermarket branches. That is on top of all of the large DIY centers, and all the little hardware stores, well the ones that are still left anyway. There are stores that sell gaffer tape in pretty much all the major villages around here, and by that I mean the villages that have shops! I am in what passes for a very rural area here in the UK.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,262 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Wilt.
Apr 05, 2017 10:53 |  #25

BigAl007 wrote in post #18320150 (external link)
I find it odd that in the US you cannot easily buy a roll of gaffer tape. here in the UK they have rolls of unbranded gaffer tape in just about every "Pound" store, as well as most larger supermarket branches. That is on top of all of the large DIY centers, and all the little hardware stores, well the ones that are still left anyway. There are stores that sell gaffer tape in pretty much all the major villages around here, and by that I mean the villages that have shops! I am in what passes for a very rural area here in the UK.

Alan

It appears to be geographically different. I am in CA, and ordinary hardware stores in the SF Bay area (population: >7 million) called 'Orchard Supply Hardware' carry gaffer tape. But, it sounds that it is still not as common even in the SF Bay area stores as in your locale!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Martin Dixon.
Apr 05, 2017 12:57 |  #26

I bought a big roll of gaffer tape at some expense - the real stuff that is not supposed to leave marks and deposits.

As far as I know:
I am from UK and most shops dell duct tape which comes in many qualities. It is very stick and leaves marks.
Masking tape is only intended for very temporary use - long term it tends to dry up and leave marks - even the blue stuff.

BTW the gaffer tape is not staying attached to my neoprene :(

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Apr 13, 2017 15:26 |  #27

MK II

Found a velcro strap that fits almost perfectly. Added (sewed on) a bit of neoprene in the switch area and a bit of strapping to lift the buckle so it doesn't touch rthe zoom ring.

Seems nice and solid - will have to try it out now.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Apr 16, 2017 15:06 |  #28

Worked well on a few miles walking near Dell Quay. :)

sponsored links

6,545 views & 7 likes for this thread
Lens switches keep turning off.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.