Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 03 Apr 2017 (Monday) 08:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What were your Sigma ART adjustments?

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Columbus, OH
Apr 03, 2017 08:01 |  #1

I recently picked up a Sigma 35 ART a few weeks ago and like many I definitely had to fine-tune the AF. It's been a solid lens since and I love the color rendition and contrast.

I'm just curious (for no other reason than curiosity) what your final adjustments were using the Sigma dock and software. For my Canon 6D (which I'm sure needs some adjustments of its own) I was -10, -11, -12, -16.

Unlike some I haven't had any issues with completely missing focus even before I made these adjustments but a lot of images were considerably soft. After the adjustments it's been pretty rock solid.

What were your numbers?

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,613 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Space Coast, Florida
Apr 15, 2017 09:57 |  #2

I have the ART 851.4 I found that in low room light it missed focus, but when I used a bright light for focus it did fine. So I did the focus check with the dock, and found that all four settings were minus. I was -20 at infinity, -12, then -10 and -8.

I haven't had a chance to really ring it out since I made the adjustments.

I am a bit curious about this whole "focus tweaking" with the dock. Is it a way for Sigma to deliver lenses with quality issues if they can just claim that you can focus tweak your own lenses to your camera? Not trying to stir up a conspiracy here, just wondering if you (or others) had any similar thoughts.

Facebookexternal link or Websiteexternal link

Boone13
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Columbus, OH
Apr 16, 2017 19:12 |  #3

golfecho wrote in post #18328552 (external link)
I am a bit curious about this whole "focus tweaking" with the dock. Is it a way for Sigma to deliver lenses with quality issues if they can just claim that you can focus tweak your own lenses to your camera? Not trying to stir up a conspiracy here, just wondering if you (or others) had any similar thoughts.

Ya know, I had a photographer friend ask me the same thing. I personally don't think Sigma is delivering lenses with significant or even moderate quality issues, as some of my Canon glass has needed some pretty serious AFMA tweaks. But I do think being third party they don't have the advantage as Canon (or Nikon, Sony, etc) in knowing exactly (and I mean exactly, not just having a body they can test on) how the AF performs on any given body. I think they manufacture as best they can with the information they have access to.

What I absolutely love about the dock though is that I can fine tune at 4 distances, where AFMA only allows one global adjustment and I've had a couple of lenses where a tweak corrected close distance shots but shots close to or near infinity were noticeably soft after the adjustment. I think another thing about these ART lenses is that because they're so highly regarded, very sharp, and almost half the price as a Canon or Nikon lens in many cases, people are just much more critical of everything about the lens. People just really wanna know how it compares to the big brand.

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

696 views & 0 likes for this thread
What were your Sigma ART adjustments?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.