Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk
Thread started 17 Apr 2017 (Monday) 03:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to create a shooting schedule?

inmybubble
56 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Apr 17, 2017 03:39 |  #1

Hey, guys!

Just recently I was asked to make an offer for photographing about 20 product categories that will result in about 100 photos. After that offer, I met with them and now they're asking for a shooting schedule and new pricing offer.

My question is - what should the shooting schedule look like and how to create it? The products are in different sizes - from 2cm to 2m high. I've never had a project with that scale, usually, I shoot 1-3 small products.
1. How specific should it be?
2. Is 1 month enough time for completion? Or better be safe and estimate 6 weeks, for any surprises. And If I finish early it's a good surprise?

Thanks in advance!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Apr 17, 2017 04:28 |  #2

I have no definite answer but I think it is important to know first how much work the lighting and position setup (backgrounds/angles) will require for each item, or can you prepare an environment where you can shoot fast without adjusting it all. If the items are large, how the logistics for bringing them to the set works?

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

inmybubble
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Apr 17, 2017 04:37 as a reply to Pekka's post |  #3

I'll be shooting at clients studio because it eliminates the need for transport. Therefore I can shoot a lot of items with the same set-up or just adjusting what needed. Of course, If I switch from small items to bigger ones, I need to change the lighting set-up completely.

Moppie
14,715 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004
Akarana, Aotearoa. (Kiwiland)
Apr 17, 2017 04:42 |  #4

A shooting schedule can mean different things to different people. Are they looking for a time frame, a list of objects in order, a pricing schedule, or some combination of all of the above?

Are you pricing this as a complete project, or as per shot, or per object?

And why the need for it to take one month, that implies a variety in complexity of objects, and some very technical and complex, time consuming lighting and set ups.

flickrexternal link

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

inmybubble
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Apr 17, 2017 05:03 as a reply to Moppie's post |  #5

What they look for is a time frame.
Pricing will be shooting fee + per image.

No need to do it in one month, It was more a wondering if this will be enough. Probably not :)

Moppie
14,715 posts
Joined Sep 2004
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Moppie.
Apr 17, 2017 05:32 |  #6

inmybubble wrote in post #18329999 (external link)
What they look for is a time frame.

Then you're down to your experience and best guess, all of which is dependent on the type of objects and the style/type of photography.
You'll need to sight each object and make sure they have a clear brief and with concise expectations for the final images.
Then prepare a document that is as detailed as you can make it, while allowing plenty of wiggle room for the things your not confident about.
It needs to be only as complex and detailed as you can make it with the knowledge and experience you have.

flickrexternal link

inmybubble
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Apr 17, 2017 05:36 |  #7

Moppie wrote in post #18330007 (external link)
Then you're down to your experience and best guess, all of which is dependent on the type of objects and the style/type of photography.
You'll need to sight each object and make sure they have a clear brief and with concise expectations for the final images.
Then prepare a document that is as detailed as you can make it, while allowing plenty of wiggle room for the things your not confident about.
It needs to be only as complex and detailed as you can make it with the knowledge and experience you have.

Yeah, the fun part is that at the meeting they didn't have any products with them. So I will leave more wiggle room than I think I need.

Moppie
14,715 posts
Joined Sep 2004
Apr 17, 2017 05:40 as a reply to inmybubble's post |  #8

I'd go back to them and ask, they can't expect you to price a job and give a time frame if you haven't seen what your shooting :)

flickrexternal link

inmybubble
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Apr 17, 2017 05:43 |  #9

Moppie wrote in post #18330016 (external link)
I'd go back to them and ask, they can't expect you to price a job and give a time frame if you haven't seen what your shooting :)

I know the items, so I'm not completely in the dark :D

PhotosGuy
74,826 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Apr 17, 2017 07:48 |  #10

from 2cm to 2m high.

FWIW, I've found that it's much easier if I can start with lighting the large ones & then move in to shoot the smaller ones. Good luck!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

CygnusStudios
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2017
San Francisco's north bay
Apr 17, 2017 10:32 |  #11

inmybubble wrote in post #18329976 (external link)
Hey, guys!

Just recently I was asked to make an offer for photographing about 20 product categories that will result in about 100 photos. After that offer, I met with them and now they're asking for a shooting schedule and new pricing offer.

My question is - what should the shooting schedule look like and how to create it? The products are in different sizes - from 2cm to 2m high. I've never had a project with that scale, usually, I shoot 1-3 small products.
1. How specific should it be?
2. Is 1 month enough time for completion? Or better be safe and estimate 6 weeks, for any surprises. And If I finish early it's a good surprise?

Thanks in advance!

Your shot list is based off the mood boards that should have been discussed with the client or marcom or art director or whomever has developed the idea.

Then you can determine what needs to be in the shot list. Are you doing all the styling? What about props? Assistants? Number of angle changes per shot (shoot)? Number of shots per item? Number of variations per item? Number of backgrounds? Are you shooting at their provided location or your studio or at their facility? Are they bringing the products to you, outside delivery, are you picking up?

Once you know what they want and determine if you in fact can deliver that, creating the shooting schedule is just a matter of breaking down the specifics into an easy to understand time frame on how long it will take you (assistants/stylists) to get each set up, shot, edited and then a final on all shots delivered and how.

I'm curious as to what makes you think that you'll need 4 to 6 weeks to get 100 shots? Is this based on timetable of delivery of products?

Steve
Website (external link) | Gear (external link)

inmybubble
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Apr 17, 2017 10:33 |  #12

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18330119 (external link)
FWIW, I've found that it's much easier if I can start with lighting the large ones & then move in to shoot the smaller ones. Good luck!

That actually makes sense. Thanks!

inmybubble
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Apr 17, 2017 10:41 |  #13

CygnusStudios wrote in post #18330233 (external link)
Your shot list is based off the mood boards that should have been discussed with the client or marcom or art director or whomever has developed the idea.

Then you can determine what needs to be in the shot list. Are you doing all the styling? What about props? Assistants? Number of angle changes per shot (shoot)? Number of shots per item? Number of variations per item? Number of backgrounds? Are you shooting at their provided location or your studio or at their facility? Are they bringing the products to you, outside delivery, are you picking up?

Once you know what they want and determine if you in fact can deliver that, creating the shooting schedule is just a matter of breaking down the specifics into an easy to understand time frame on how long it will take you (assistants/stylists) to get each set up, shot, edited and then a final on all shots delivered and how.

I'm curious as to what makes you think that you'll need 4 to 6 weeks to get 100 shots? Is this based on timetable of delivery of products?

The questions you asked were all answered and discussed at the meeting. The confusion here is the time frame/schedule that no client has never asked for. Usually, there's a deadline that we agree on and that's it. This time, unfortunately, I don't know the deadline (I asked, they answered something else-Asked again, still didn't get an answer) and that makes it a little difficult.

PhotosGuy
74,826 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Apr 17, 2017 11:12 |  #14

inmybubble wrote in post #18330247 (external link)
(I asked, they answered something else-Asked again, still didn't get an answer) and that makes it a little difficult.

I would put that request into a note, on paper, to them asking for info you require to make a schedule...
1. What is your deadline?
2. How long will it take you have all the products photography ready & at the location to be shot once we get the OK to go ahead?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

inmybubble
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Apr 18, 2017 04:18 |  #15

Thanks everybody. I got some ideas and thoughts from the discussion and finished the time-frame/working plan. Now there's nothing else to do, but wait.

sponsored links

1,009 views & 1 like for this thread
How to create a shooting schedule?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.