Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 16:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Input please. Nik noise reduction software

Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Apr 20, 2017 16:10 |  #1

Nik is some great software. Well it was great 4 years ago but there is no longer any updates, so it may be a little out dated.
The good thing is since google bought it, it is now free. The bad thing is they've given up on it so no more updates.

Anyway, I usually only use the B&W conversion and the sharpening programs, I recently tried out the noise reduction program. It does OK but you give up some sharpness. I need some different eyes on it to help me decide if the give and take is worth it.

The fist shot is without the noise reduction and the second is with. Any input is appreciated.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
30,751 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Apr 20, 2017 17:05 |  #2

Try looking at the free version of Noiseware, I believe they still offer a community version. When you buy it, it will give you plugins to work with your favorite photo processing package.

The noise is so easy to remove and leave the detail, with just rudimentary slider values. Then for good measure run a very light Unsharp Mask on the result to crisp it up a bit more.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Galleryexternal link
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Actionexternal link | Focus Genie

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
Chesapeake, VA USA
Apr 21, 2017 03:55 |  #3

I use CS5 to edit all of my images and for noise reduction I use a light surface blur on the background only by using the quick selection tool and select the subject (or whatever I don't want the surface blur applied to) then select inverse and apply the surface blur. I then select inverse again and apply sharpening to the subject only. No detail is lost in my images doing it this way.

I took the liberty of doing this on your first image you posted and I didn't sharpen the Osprey.

HOSTED PHOTO

www.3rdicreations.comexternal link

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
30,751 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.
Apr 21, 2017 05:45 |  #4

The nice thing is that noiseware already has sliders to preserve the details and contrast ares, so no masking is needed. I never do masking before noise reduction these days, just a single multiple filter action that takes care of images in bulk. Masking and surface blurring is a bona-fide method, but tools are so improved, they are now time-savers.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Apr 21, 2017 06:31 |  #5

I'd suggest Noiseware as well. I don't know about a free version but its not very expensive to buy.

I'm surprised you are getting this much grain at ISO 160.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

JimLittle
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2005
Oregon Coast
Apr 21, 2017 09:31 |  #6

+1 on the Noiseware software...

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
Chesapeake, VA USA
Apr 21, 2017 14:12 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18333713 (external link)
The nice thing is that noiseware already has sliders to preserve the details and contrast ares, so no masking is needed. I never do masking before noise reduction these days, just a single multiple filter action that takes care of images in bulk. Masking and surface blurring is a bona-fide method, but tools are so improved, they are now time-savers.

I have simplified my processing steps to the point I can edit a RAW file to something printable in 6-8 minutes. On a good day I may take 300 images and edit maybe 2-3 but I know photographers who will take 2,000+ images and edit/post 60-80 images so I can see where saving time when you're processing that many images at once is valuable so I will pass on this noiseware filter information to them.

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
Chesapeake, VA USA
Apr 21, 2017 14:14 |  #8

saea501 wrote in post #18333733 (external link)
I'm surprised you are getting this much grain at ISO 160.

I wondered the same thing...thinking it was either sharpened ahead of time or a heavy crop of the original.

Pigpen101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2017
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Pigpen101. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 21, 2017 16:30 |  #9

Duane N wrote in post #18334084 (external link)
I wondered the same thing...thinking it was either sharpened ahead of time or a heavy crop of the original.

Thanks for the info. Yes very heavy crop! Also I should of had the shutter speed higher, I was hand holding and should have checked my settings better. Any coupon codes out there for Noiseware? Has anyone tried Noise Ninja?

Pigpen101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2017
Apr 21, 2017 16:32 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18333713 (external link)

Thank you, I will look into Noiseware. I already own the Nik tools so I thought I'd try it out.

Bsmooth
847 posts
Joined Feb 2005
New England
May 15, 2017 13:57 |  #11

I've used Neat Image noise reduction for a few years now and I find it very good as well. I think they sell 2 versions , one for 8Bit and the Pro version for 16 bit images.

Bruce

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
May 15, 2017 14:06 |  #12

To those who have used both, is Noiseware better than the built in NR in Lightroom?

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
30,751 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
May 15, 2017 14:09 |  #13

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18355374 (external link)
To those who have used both, is Noiseware better than the built in NR in Lightroom?

Does LR allow noise reduction refinement by tonal, color, frequency, contrast levels, luminescent and chroma levels? There are numerous configurations and sliders to tweak to remove noise without masking.

https://photography.tu​tsplus.com ...tion-on-photos--cms-24041 (external link)

There is a learning curve to Noiseware however.

Somebody did a comparison of many different packages, I haven't read through this all yet though. It looks like they missed Imagenomic though.

https://fstoppers.com ...-night-photography-122259 (external link)

If you want the best of both worlds, you can use Noiseware as a LR plugin. :)

http://www.curvve.com ...ugin-lightroom-photoshop/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,279 views & 1 like for this thread
Input please. Nik noise reduction software
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.