Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 16:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hard light wedding

cubatahavana
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Apr 20, 2017 16:43 |  #1

Had a wedding a couple of weeks ago at 2:30 pm with very hard light. Tried some shady area for some formals. What do you think?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

sponsored links
cubatahavana
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Apr 20, 2017 16:46 |  #2

HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

cubatahavana
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Apr 20, 2017 16:54 |  #3

The ceremony under the sun... not very common in Ireland :lol: just posting two random photos of the day

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Apr 21, 2017 07:46 |  #4

To many shots to CC. Pick one or two and ask for comments.

The lighting is tough, really need to pull back so me highlights IMO.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

cubatahavana
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Apr 21, 2017 10:38 as a reply to DagoImaging's post |  #5

Believe or not, highlights are pulled down a good bit already. it was very harsh. If only everything could have been conducted on the shade...

I did only intend to ask for CC for the light mainly, that's why I posted a few of them :). That was my mistake for not being clear!

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,555 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Post has been edited 1 month ago by sapearl.
Apr 21, 2017 10:45 |  #6

I may have missed it but did you use fill flash in any of these?

You've captured some nice emotion, obviously you engaged nicely with the couple. On my monitor #3 has the most flattering illumination on the bride's face. You'll need to do some PS work to eliminate/reduce the shadows under the bride's eyes in other shots, they really detract. It's fine for us guys though ;-)a

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

Micro5797
Joined Dec 2013
Montana
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Micro5797. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 21, 2017 12:11 |  #7

sapearl wrote in post #18333910 (external link)
I may have missed it but did you use fill flash in any of these?

You've captured some nice emotion, obviously you engaged nicely with the couple. On my monitor #3 has the most flattering illumination on the bride's face. You'll need to do some PS work to eliminate/reduce the shadows under the bride's eyes in other shots, they really detract. It's fine for us guys though ;-)a

Thumbs up for what Sapearl pointed out, perhaps i can add my own thoughts.

There is not much that you can do as a photographer to get the light correct during the wedding ceremony. They choose the time of day. You can only make suggestions like, use a covered awning and pray for clouds.

As far as the formals, you certainly have the right idea to put them in the shade. If at all possible, look for covered shade rather then open shade as it is a lot better lighting with less raccooning of the eyes.
The problem is that the background is a couple of stops brighter then the people are. This is really distracting and pulls you out of the moment that was captured rather quickly. Also, we think the exposure looks correct on the people because there is so much bright highlight in the image that it easily fools our eyes, until you go to print the image, then the people can be way too dark.
This is where you need to start adding in light, be it a minimum of a white/silver reflector which is hard to do if you are a solo shooter. Better yet a single off camera flash on a tripod for fill. A single photographer can quickly and easily move this around as needed.

cubatahavana
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Apr 21, 2017 16:51 as a reply to Micro5797's post |  #8

Good advice with flash on tripod. Will keep that in mind for the future. There was no covered area and I chose the only shaded area available. Still I could have bounced from behind me, but it never occurred to me. Sun was behind me, so a reflector wouldn't have worked too well. All other photos from preparation to dinner and inside shots came out OK. They really wanted something formal outside, and the only shade area with unobstructed background was that one. Ideally I would have had underexposed the background and used a strong strobe with a modifier, but unfortunately I still don't own one :). As well, with such a bright day, it would have been very difficult to achieve. Fill flash was the way to go. Lesson learned

sponsored links

665 views & 2 likes for this thread
Hard light wedding
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.