Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 19 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 10:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony A9 Announced

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Northern Cal
Apr 21, 2017 11:18 |  #61

:p

Size preference depends on the items...

Bigger is better for TV... Monitors.. Trucks... House.. burgers..

Smaller and lighter is better for laptops.. processors.. cameras...whatever.

sponsored links
bpaulette
Joined Oct 2009
Kansas City, USA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by bpaulette.
Apr 21, 2017 11:22 |  #62

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18333886 (external link)
When it comes to size, I greatly prefer a large camera, despite the fact that my hands are average in size. . I wish that Sony would realize that some people like to hold bigger cameras in their hands, and increase the size of their bodies.

A friend has a Sony 6 thousand something that is really small. .He got some kind of cage thing that looks kinda like a speed plate that wraps all the way around the camera. . It increases the overall size significantly, and he us able to use the camera comfortably due to the additional size.

The optional battery grip for the A9 seems like a no-brainer, but even with the grip the camera is too small for comfortable use.

Nigerian food tastes bad. I've never tried it. But a friend of mine tried a Kenyan dish one time and had to add ketchup to make it taste good. Even with condiments though, I'm pretty sure Nigerian food isn't good.

I should go find a Nigerian food discussion forum and let them know.

Just curious - have you ever actually held a gripped A7 series camera? Or did you notice previous posts where several of us point out that we use them very comfortably? I'm confused at some of these outside opinions, based on no personal experience, stated like facts. e.g. "even with the grip the camera is too small for comfortable use"

All that aside - none of this is a surprise. Pretty much the same story, every time Sony makes a splash with some announcement, the Sony subforum gets a bunch of new visitors who want to point out why the gear we use is not good, in their opinion. OK, great, good talk!

- BP -
---------------
Sony A7R II | Sonnar FE 55 | Zeiss Batis 85 | FE 90 Macro G | Metabones IV
24L II | 85L II | 135L | 24-105L | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 40-Shorty | Bower 14mm | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Apr 21, 2017 11:32 |  #63

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Apr 21, 2017 11:48 |  #64

rxjohn wrote in post #18333942 (external link)
:p

Size preference depends on the items...

Bigger is better for TV... Monitors.. Trucks... House.. burgers..

Smaller and lighter is better for laptops.. processors.. cameras...whatever.

Tbh, it's not about size, it's about ergonomics within the same size. Balance with heavy G-master lenses (which I assume the grip will help with), distance between grip and lens, i.e. The difference between the d750 and d610. Samsung Ativ or whatever they're called can make the physically smallest laptops, but their keyboard is terrible. I'll wait to try in person because I could def use the silent shutter and high iso for stage performances.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Apr 21, 2017 11:49 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #65

That is good to know. Still plenty fast. Is the compressed RAW lossless or lossy?

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

bpaulette
Joined Oct 2009
Kansas City, USA
Apr 21, 2017 12:00 |  #66

idkdc wrote in post #18333980 (external link)
That is good to know. Still plenty fast. Is the compressed RAW lossless or lossy?

If it's just like the A7Rii, the compressed RAW is lossy. But that said, I've never personally had any complaints. I did a bunch of tests when they released FW 2.0, giving us the option of uncompressed, and I couldn't find any noticeable differences in my typical shooting scenarios, so the file size increase wasn't worth it to me. But that's just me.

- BP -
---------------
24L II | 85L II | 135L | 24-105L | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 40-Shorty | Bower 14mm | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,818 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 21, 2017 12:15 |  #67

bpaulette wrote in post #18333946 (external link)
.- none of this is a surprise. Pretty much the same story, every time Sony makes a splash with some announcement, the Sony subforum gets a bunch of new visitors who want to point out why the gear we use is not good, in their opinion. OK, great, good talk!

To be fair, one of the reasons the SONY forum is suddenly full of a lot of Canon posts is because some of these threads re: the SONY @9 were posted by SONY people in the Canon EOS forum to wind up the Canon shooters.

I moved them to the SONY forum as soon as I found them.
So mission accomplished, the Canon shooters got wound up.

I would hope that someone's PERSONAL feelings on size, something totally subjective like that,. would not diminish everyone's awe at what SONY is doing with this new release!

More so, the size issue is actually kind of a moot argument in that FYI much of this tech is already found in a SONY DSLR, a pretty damn awesome DSLR for that matter that some of POTN's own 1Dx2 shooters have been shooting as well. So one has the option of smaller mirrorless or larger DSLR already.

SONY is well and truly pushing the evolution of digital photography right now. It's quite impressive.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

bpaulette
Joined Oct 2009
Kansas City, USA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by bpaulette.
Apr 21, 2017 12:22 |  #68

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18334011 (external link)
To be fair, one of the reasons the SONY forum is suddenly full of a lot of Canon posts is because some of these threads re: the SONY @9 were posted by SONY people in the Canon EOS forum to wind up the Canon shooters.

I moved them to the SONY forum as soon as I found them.
So mission accomplished, the Canon shooters got wound up.

Hmm, user "ksbal" started both of the threads you moved here. I'm not familiar with that user as a Sony subforum regular. His gallery shots all seem to be Canon, as are most of his posts.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18334011 (external link)
I would hope that someone's PERSONAL feelings on size, something totally subjective like that,. would not diminish everyone's awe at what SONY is doing with this new release!

More so, the size issue is actually kind of a moot argument in that FYI much of this tech is already found in a SONY DSLR, a pretty damn awesome DSLR for that matter that some of POTN's own 1Dx2 shooters have been shooting as well. So one has the option of smaller mirrorless or larger DSLR already.

SONY is well and truly pushing the evolution of digital photography right now. It's quite impressive.

In total agreement with you there, sir!

- BP -
---------------

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,818 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Apr 21, 2017 12:24 |  #69

bpaulette wrote in post #18334014 (external link)
Hmm, user "ksbal" started both of the threads you moved here. I'm not familiar with that user as a Sony subforum regular. His gallery shots all seem to be Canon, as are most of his posts.

Thanks for the correction. So it was Canon shooters winding up the Canon shooters! :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

bpaulette
Joined Oct 2009
Kansas City, USA
Apr 21, 2017 12:37 |  #70

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18334016 (external link)
Thanks for the correction. So it was Canon shooters winding up the Canon shooters! :)

I hope the Canon and Nikon execs get wound up. Competitive innovation is good for everybody.

- BP -
---------------

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,818 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Apr 21, 2017 13:28 |  #71

bpaulette wrote in post #18334024 (external link)
I hope the Canon and Nikon execs get wound up. Competitive innovation is good for everybody.

I am sure that both are being heavily driven by the challenge from SONY.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,369 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Apr 21, 2017 14:04 |  #72

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18334049 (external link)
I am sure that both are being heavily driven by the challenge from SONY.

Only if the camera does well. If it's a flop, they will be patting themselves on the back for not investing is a loosing technology. But given that Sony has jumped ahead of Nikon in US sales, I'm thinking the Nikon guys are getting worried.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 21, 2017 14:15 |  #73

The 1980s showed us that there was a very significant sized market for the compact body full-frame film SLR which Olympus launched with the OM series, Nikon quickly followed with the FM, and Canon popularized the compact SLR in the mass market with all the advertising for the AE-1. Pentax had its ME/MX, Minolta had its X-series. There certainly was a strong market then, and I would not doubt that there is pent up demand for smaller systems decades later. I have always wished the dSLR would go to the fat farm, yet retain FF sensor size.
But today the lenses are all quite bulky and heavy, unlike my OM series lenses from the 1970s-80s, so I have not been so driven for a small body FF mirrorless unless the lenses manage to shrink somewhat at the same time. I would love smaller FF size digital capture, like I had in my OM film system!

I just went to Sony website this morning, and looked at their lens arsenal. I chose lenses that I knew had direct equivalents by Canon, and compiled this table of comparisons:

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/Sony%20v%20Canon%20kit_zpsbqqoijqe.jpg

One might generalize that a mirrorless kit with multiple lenses would save about 10% on weight or a savings of about 1.0-1.4 lb. for a kit of 6 lenses.
While one can save weight with lenses for mirrorless, yet one cannot necessarily save on the length of the lens...FL for coverage angle is FL for coverage angle, after all, and the diameter of the collecting optics is inherently limiting...in a 100-400mm zoom, the Sony diameter is 93.9mm and the Canon is 94mm.
Unfortunately one cannot readily get specs for edge of eyepiece to front of lens mount specifications, so that one could derive the body+lens depth...instead, the included grip always protrudes past the mount and is included in dimensional information. But, generally speaking, the mirrorless lenses are just as lengthly as the dSLR lenses of the same format size -- some are longer, some are shorter! Size and weight is mostly an argument for the body by itself.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

dochollidayda
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Apr 21, 2017 14:18 as a reply to gjl711's post |  #74

I was recently at a very popular tourist destination in the US, most bigger cameras I saw were Canon Rebels, maybe 20% Nikon and a couple of Sony as Fuji X series. That's not to say Sony isn't killing it, I am sure they are in terms of $$ due to A7 series' tremendous popularity but I feel Nikon still might be ahead in terms of unit sales of loss leaders :D

Almost all FF cameras I saw were some iteration of Canon 5D series. FWIW, I don't put any stock in this kind of thing but as an avid user and a well read consumer I observe very keenly. That made me think of Matt Granger once said, people can knock the 5D as much as they like, its still the dominant FF camera and will be for sometime.

I, myself am quite content with what I have. However, Sony images really intrigue me at times, the detail is just mind blowing. If I didn't have Canon glass, I probably would have dabbled with Sony a lot sooner. I like native glass and am a creature of habit. I am also a hobbyist with a young family and don't have money to throw around like I once did :)

If A7R III turns up with improved battery life and dual card slots, I will look at it very seriously. To the point, that I might load my Canon gear and stash it on the counter to trade it in.

I think Sony lenses have caught up or come close for my needs, they just seem a little overpriced. Then again, the newer Canon gear isn't much cheaper either.

Needless to say, I am keenly looking forward to Sony's announcements. They seem to create more buzz than Canon/Nikon etc.

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,818 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Apr 21, 2017 14:21 |  #75

gjl711 wrote in post #18334074 (external link)
Only if the camera does well. If it's a flop, they will be patting themselves on the back for not investing is a loosing technology. But given that Sony has jumped ahead of Nikon in US sales, I'm thinking the Nikon guys are getting worried.

No, I disagree. And I was not talking about the a9, I was talking about SONY the last 5 or six years.

5D4's improved DR is because of the challenge of SONY's sensors for example.
The more the little guys keep punching up, the more the biog guys have to take notice. Of course SONY is really a little guy in photography anymore.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

19,906 views & 178 likes for this thread
Sony A9 Announced
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.