Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 18 Apr 2017 (Tuesday) 21:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Using other photographers images to fatten your Instagram account??

Cascadian
63 posts
Joined May 2011
Wenatchee, WA
Apr 18, 2017 21:06 |  #1

Someone I went to school with has recently started 3 Instagram accounts in which the sole content is amazing travel photos taken by others with a tag 'Credit to respective owner(s)'. They are now on Facebook posting about how many likes and followers they are getting and coming up with ways to monetize (I have no idea how nor do I care).

But as a photographer it bothers me that someone is using images another person has created for personal 'fame' (attention?) and potentially profit. Isn't this an matter that could potentially come back to bite them with huge consequences? Does it matter if the photos are registered? Does that tag satisfy giving credit to the owner of the photograph? Am I just being a bitter old man? vmad

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Apr 18, 2017 21:27 |  #2

Cascadian wrote in post #18331681 (external link)
But as a photographer it bothers me that someone is using images another person has created for personal 'fame' (attention?) and potentially profit. Isn't this an matter that could potentially come back to bite them with huge consequences? Does it matter if the photos are registered? Does that tag satisfy giving credit to the owner of the photograph? Am I just being a bitter old man? vmad

There are many photo accounts that are set up to share other people's images but the important thing is that you have to "submit" your image by tagging your image with their hashtag. For example the account @BNW_ROSE requires that you tag your image with #bnw_rose. They then pick their favourite and repost it with a link back to the original account.

If you friend is doing that then they are OK. However, if they are just taking images there were not submitted and re-posting those then it could certainly come back to bite them as it is copyright infringement and a breach of the Instagram's terms.....

You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Content posted by you on or through the Service or otherwise have the right to grant the rights and licenses set forth in these Terms of Use; (ii) the posting and use of your Content on or through the Service does not violate, misappropriate or infringe on the rights of any third party, including, without limitation, privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, trademark and/or other intellectual property rights; (iii) you agree to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owed by reason of Content you post on or through the Service; and (iv) you have the legal right and capacity to enter into these Terms of Use in your jurisdiction.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: http://www.danmarchant​.com (external link)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.co​m/danmarchantphotograp​hy (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + lenses + plastic widget I found in the camera box.

EOS-Mike
Joined Oct 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Apr 21, 2017 11:59 |  #3

I get what you're saying with people sharing the work of others to boost their own prominence online. This is actually something that began with Twitter.

Let's say you have a few followers and likes on Tweets, but then you retweet a clebrity's post. People start to get drawn toward your account as well.

I've never understood how social media works (as far as building followers, making money, etc.). My instagram account might get 20 likes on a photo (always my photos only), and a couple have about 50 likes, but someone impersonating a celebrity (even with a tagline of "parody account" or "fan account" will get thousands of followers and thousands of likes per photo (that they just use from some other website).

Originality is still not considered as cool as cloning. American idol (cover tunes), Glee (cover tunes), and Instagram (fake celebrity accounts) are more popular than original works. Weird.

But we are primates.

Canon 6D, 24-105L, 50mm 1.8 stm

kf095
Cream of the Crop
5,959 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Apr 21, 2017 12:34 |  #4

On FB anyone is allowed to share anyone picture. If you are uploading picture to FB it means you are giving it to them for free and for free use. On Flickr you could choose copyrights levels as the owner of the picture.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Apr 21, 2017 22:17 |  #5

kf095 wrote in post #18334021 (external link)
On FB anyone is allowed to share anyone picture. If you are uploading picture to FB it means you are giving it to them for free and for free use.

No it doesn't. They can share it, on FB, under the FB terms which means all they can do is share. They can't use the image on another website or for business.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: http://www.danmarchant​.com (external link)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.co​m/danmarchantphotograp​hy (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + lenses + plastic widget I found in the camera box.

rantercsr
Joined Mar 2014
Apr 21, 2017 22:30 |  #6

meh!
on Instagram , from what I've seen they are given credit and featured are there because , as its been mentioned already,, you have to tag them to be considered..

for example @sonyimages..
I follow them , they feature sony shooters.. and they feature some awesome pics .. to which sometimes Ill click on photographers tag to see what else hes/shes got..

its all good in my book since they are giving credit where credits due

Sony A7SII * Sony A6500 * Sony 16-35 f4 * FE 28 F2 * FE 55 F1.8
Canon Rebel T4i//EF50 f1.4 //EF-S 10-18mm 4.5-5.6IS STM //EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6IS STM
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,473 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Apr 22, 2017 00:52 |  #7

kf095 wrote in post #18334021 (external link)
On FB anyone is allowed to share anyone picture. If you are uploading picture to FB it means you are giving it to them for free and for free use. On Flickr you could choose copyrights levels as the owner of the picture.

Incorrect, and doesn't really matter since OP's grievance is with IG (where it's also not abiding by terms to share someone else's pictures without permission or credit).

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18334445 (external link)
No it doesn't. They can share it, on FB, under the FB terms which means all they can do is share. They can't use the image on another website or for business.

This.

rantercsr wrote in post #18334455 (external link)
meh!
on Instagram , from what I've seen they are given credit and featured are there because , as its been mentioned already,, you have to tag them to be considered..

for example @sonyimages..
I follow them , they feature sony shooters.. and they feature some awesome pics .. to which sometimes Ill click on photographers tag to see what else hes/shes got..

its all good in my book since they are giving credit where credits due

This isn't what the OP is talking about though, he's saying (from how I understand it) that this friend is potentially taking images he finds elsewhere without permission and simply uploading them himself.

I coach several very famous YouTube Vlogger kids (just google Brataley) and I have run into numerous problems regarding people taking my images and sharing them for their own views/monetization without credit. Thankfully the fans I have usually report these instances to me when they see it.

There are actually a few accounts I've seen that exist solely to remove my watermark and reshare my work without credit... it borders on absurd to me, but they're mostly (most likely) kids who likely don't know any better, but with social media becoming such a prominent part of society kids/people need to be made aware of what the laws are regarding intellectual property.

I've seen shots of mine on accounts with over 100k "likes" without a credit... kind of irritates me given that the most "likes" for any shots on my own IG are around 3k :lol:

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

554 views & 4 likes for this thread
Using other photographers images to fatten your Instagram account??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.