Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 04 Apr 2017 (Tuesday) 18:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sabotaging Reviews.

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Apr 05, 2017 12:40 |  #16

Sometimes I find this site helpful: http://fakespot.com/ (external link)

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links
Archibald
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Apr 05, 2017 12:43 |  #17

joedlh wrote in post #18320002 (external link)
... I put more stock in reviews that are well-written and have no grammatical or spelling errors.

It is commendable to reward good writing, but some of those perfectly-written reviews could be written by pros working for the manufacturer.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar; Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
Stamp out unnecessary question marks! (external link)
Picture editing OK

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
46,690 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 5 days ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Apr 20, 2017 20:43 |  #18

On a cyber monday deal two years ago,. Amazon drew my attention to a deal on a dog training collar.

The collar was amazingly low priced already ( I think $80.00, i'd only ever seen them for about $200.00)

It's limited quantity flash deal price was $40.00.

Being wary of anything working at such a low price I read all of the reviews. All of them were 5 star.

So I ordered it.

When mine arrived it was clearly a P.O.S. from materials and durability standpoint. The actual collar for the dogs neck was a terrible shiny plastic material,. and the electronic unit was also cheap plastic, no sealing, it was clearly not going to last.

The manual was impossible to understand, the controls on the collar itself were non existent, it had to be "paired" in the most round about way,. charging was difficult, and one needed to learn a new language of flashing colored lights to decipher anything. I endeavored to persevere, spent a lot of time deciphering, and finally got it all up and running.

Once everything was done correctly, the unit decided that it's own built in warning beep should randomly trigger regardless of if the button was pressed. It would not stop.

I could trigger it manually, and trigger the shock manually (tested on me) but I could not get the beeping to stop. On TWO collars (I have two dogs this was a dual collar set)

The batteries which took hours to charge were dead after about 30 minutes.

I sent it back, and wrote a lengthy review (from me? No surprise there) listed all of the problems I had seen and rated the collar accordingly.

I can not for the life of me understand how anyone could rate this terrible product in so many ways, 5 stars. My review was gone after a few months. It took about two years for the number of objective reviews to be numerous enough that Amazon stopped agreeing to remove the bad reviews, the 5 stars are down to 3.5, but you can still see all the fake glowing reviews.

If your interested;
https://smile.amazon.c​om ...ds=training%2Bcolla​r&th=1 (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
30,403 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Apr 20, 2017 20:47 |  #19

I don't understand how negative reviews can be removed. If they are objectively written even with pics, why should they be removed? I have had one of mine as well. I bought something from a vendor on Amazon, and the product was garbage. The seller contacted me and wanted to know if I would change it to a positive if they would refund my money. I added that to my review that they tried to buy me out, that was removed. I tried twice... Frustrating.

Past Equipment | My Galleryexternal link
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Actionexternal link | Focus Genie

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
46,690 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Apr 20, 2017 20:54 |  #20

It is not clear that the bad reviews in the OPS example are fake,. I don't know what the motivation for anyone would be to do such a thing. But clearly Amazon does have the ability to tweek things. Could it not just me a case of quality control?

TS I think in my case, the vendor was able to chow a paper trail to Amazon and argue that they had been "good guys" they were very polite and contacted me a lot, asking me to consider an replacement vs. refund.

I did not budge.

They also mentioned they wanted me to try a new one so I would change my review,. I eventually just ignored the contact re this item. I think this was how the vendor was able to get Amazon to change it, the vendor had the written proof of trying to right by me with support and a replacement, and maybe I ignored the wrong email from Amazon in the end, I don't know. All I know is that my review was gone. I had no interest in trying another one a I was half tempted to send it back based on look and feel alone. I only went through the paces in the hopes I was wrong.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Apr 21, 2017 05:33 |  #21

Jake, l'd've thought the reason would be obvious. At the quality level for the price point, lots of of products are gaining best seller ranks due to quality comparable to the branded goods at a fraction of the cost.My stepson has the Canon R 6 remote, I have the copy. Identical in everything except name, and that includes build quality for a tenth of the Canon price. Put them side by side and you'd say they were from the same factory. My Neewer flash is a rebadged Godox, and look how Yongnuo products are well regarded. A few damning reviews, especially in regards to compatibility will put many off. I was originally sent an R 5 which was Incompatible, so a replacement was shipped from China for a £2 item, and I was told to keep the R5. Great service. There are a lot of really decent tripods really cheap with great specs. That one I linked to had a 15KG payload. You'll be lucky to find a branded alloy tripod with an 8KG load for that. The only reason I've not bought one is that I have Silk Road that I bought for £50.00. And as for fake 5 star reviews I find they're generally written in the same bad English as the Amazon description. And not very long. The top review on that particular is so well written you trust the reviewer. With these photography products it will be general steady erosion of the big boys till they beckone as acknowledged as Yongnuo or Wasabi and Sterlingtek.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Metz 36 AF-C flashgun, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Apr 21, 2017 07:35 |  #22

Bassat wrote in post #18319937 (external link)
Google "Amazon merchandise for review". Here is one: http://vonbeau.com ...s-to-review-on-amazon.htm (external link)

... and you get a link to a company that ISN'T Amazon. Just because companies that do business on Amazon's platform are paying for reviews that doesn't equal Amazon paying for reviews.

I noticed that the Federal Trade Commission have started contacting Instagram users who fail to disclose that they are paid/received free products in exchange to endorsing them, to warn them that it is illegal.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: http://www.danmarchant​.com (external link)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.co​m/danmarchantphotograp​hy (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + lenses + plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Apr 21, 2017 07:46 |  #23

Such as it is anywhere that you're going to lay your cash down...."caveat emptor".

www.beeweather.comexternal link

artsf
Joined Sep 2015
Post has been edited 5 days ago by artsf.
Apr 21, 2017 08:12 |  #24

I tend to read only negative reviews on Amazon and I automatically ignore all non-'verified purchase' reviews. You have to be very caeful with Amazon and Yelp reviews.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
46,690 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Apr 21, 2017 11:45 |  #25

Colin Glover wrote in post #18333705 (external link)
Jake, l'd've thought the reason would be obvious. At the quality level for the price point, lots of of products are gaining best seller ranks due to quality comparable to the branded goods at a fraction of the cost.My stepson has the Canon R 6 remote, I have the copy. Identical in everything except name, and that includes build quality for a tenth of the Canon price. Put them side by side and you'd say they were from the same factory. My Neewer flash is a rebadged Godox, and look how Yongnuo products are well regarded. A few damning reviews, especially in regards to compatibility will put many off. I was originally sent an R 5 which was Incompatible, so a replacement was shipped from China for a £2 item, and I was told to keep the R5. Great service. There are a lot of really decent tripods really cheap with great specs. That one I linked to had a 15KG payload. You'll be lucky to find a branded alloy tripod with an 8KG load for that. The only reason I've not bought one is that I have Silk Road that I bought for £50.00. And as for fake 5 star reviews I find they're generally written in the same bad English as the Amazon description. And not very long. The top review on that particular is so well written you trust the reviewer. With these photography products it will be general steady erosion of the big boys till they beckone as acknowledged as Yongnuo or Wasabi and Sterlingtek.

Ok, got it.

I too have some very well made products that come from China that are much less costly then US made versions. I have also sworn off RRS in particular due to some severe differences in politics,. so Kirk Wimberly or Chinese for me. I am finding Sunwayfoto and Desmond to be good enough for pretty much everything in that dept.

That said, that my Sunwayfoto clamps, Desmond plates and Induro legs have all been perfect,. does not rule out that Sunwayfoto might let through a non working clamp on occasion. Canon lets out bad bodies often enough,. (though I have yet to read about a non functional Canon flash out of the box)

I am not discounting your theory, but I am not sure I am convinced either. The only one star review in the example you posted is clearly a strongly subjective poor review that complains only about personal opinions and the reviewers own difficulty with assembly and spacial relations. I would discount such a review immediately as of no use to prospective customers,. but I would not consider part of a conspiracy.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

idkdc
Goldmember
2,629 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Los Angeles
Apr 21, 2017 12:05 |  #26

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18333970 (external link)
Ok, got it.

I too have some very well made products that come from China that are much less costly then US made versions. I have also sworn off RRS in particular due to some severe differences in politics,. so Kirk Wimberly or Chinese for me. I am finding Sunwayfoto and Desmond to be good enough for pretty much everything in that dept.

That said, that my Sunwayfoto clamps, Desmond plates and Induro legs have all been perfect,. does not rule out that Sunwayfoto might let through a non working clamp on occasion. Canon lets out bad bodies often enough,. (though I have yet to read about a non functional Canon flash out of the box)

I am not discounting your theory, but I am not sure I am convinced either. The only one star review in the example you posted is clearly a strongly subjective poor review that complains only about personal opinions and the reviewers own difficulty with assembly and spacial relations. I would discount such a review immediately as of no use to prospective customers,. but I would not consider part of a conspiracy.

Would you care to mention what their politics are? Curious to know. I didn't really like their return policy.

Funny story: China mass produces better electronics than American factories. Motorola and Apple tried shipping jobs back to the US but workers their weren't trained as well after a couple decades of electronics manufacturing moved off shore.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

sporadic
Joined May 2008
Charleston, SC
Apr 21, 2017 12:14 |  #27

I've been contacted a few times by Chinese electronics companies I've dealt with in the past to buy their products on Amazon and post reviews in return for a full refund of the purchase price. Although I could've collected some nice gadgets, I never took them up on it.

Fuji X-T1 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200
7D | 300/4 L IS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
46,690 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Apr 21, 2017 13:35 |  #28

idkdc wrote in post #18334001 (external link)
Would you care to mention what their politics are? Curious to know. I didn't really like their return policy....

I would not, as this forum disallows political discussions.
Feel free to google "reallyrightstuff politics"

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

idkdc
Goldmember
2,629 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Los Angeles
Apr 21, 2017 20:30 |  #29

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18334055 (external link)
I would not, as this forum disallows political discussions.
Feel free to google "reallyrightstuff politics"

Gotcha. TIL.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

sponsored links

1,937 views & 27 likes for this thread
Sabotaging Reviews.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.