Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 28 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 19:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5D4 - - - Video Firmware Upgrade!?!

DavidWatts
599 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Chicago Area
Apr 21, 2017 02:30 |  #16

Might the heat sink already be in the camera and the service is to install the firmware and also to "activate" the heat sink via the same firmware? $99 is way to little to actually install something into the body.

My Smugmug siteexternal link

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,675 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 21, 2017 05:33 |  #17

Heat sinks cannot be "activated" without elaborate designs that usually involve cooling liquids and pumps. They are just blocks of aluminum that sit on processors. Any other design is too expensive and more space consuming. There has to more to this otherwise they would just issue this free like the big upgrade they did for the 7d. The locking dial upgrade cost users 99, and that required some tearing into the camera. So I presume this update is a bit more than a firmware change. Also, what happens with future firmware updates where you have cameras out there in mixed states? Should be interesting...

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Action (external link) | Focus Genie

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Apr 21, 2017 07:29 |  #18

I don't use video either but it may help with resale is my guess. Canada CPS just restructured their service fees so I wonder what they will charge.

Image Editing OK

Websiteexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

PhotogNY
587 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Lawn Guyland, Noo Yawk
Apr 21, 2017 07:36 |  #19

Extremely disappointing that the crop factor is still the same. C-Log is nice though. Now the question is, how long will you be without your camera if you send it in for the upgrade?

Photographer's Guide to Copyright Law Basics (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Apr 21, 2017 07:46 |  #20

PhotogNY wrote in post #18333758 (external link)
Extremely disappointing that the crop factor is still the same. C-Log is nice though. Now the question is, how long will you be without your camera if you send it in for the upgrade?

Depends if you are a CPS member or not. I'm from Canada but found USA service much better and as much as a pain as it was I used to send my gear to NJ. Even as a non CPS member I got my gear back within 10 days. Only problem is Canon USA does not ship to Canada so I used a parcel service just over the border.

I became a Canada CPS member with the intent of buying a 1DX II. Big discount to members. Since Most Canon facilities will more than likely have a flood at first I'm going to wait a while before sending it to Canada CPS. I'l let them practise on other cameras first ;-)a

Image Editing OK

PhotogNY
587 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Lawn Guyland, Noo Yawk
Post has been edited 5 months ago by PhotogNY.
Apr 21, 2017 14:36 as a reply to digital paradise's post |  #21

10 days is rough if you make your living with your camera. I'll probably wait until I see some feedback from others first though. I don't want them to learn how to do it on my camera! :-D

Photographer's Guide to Copyright Law Basics (external link)

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,858 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Apr 21, 2017 15:17 |  #22

Not happy just buying this camera a couple weeks ago, brand new, to have to pay to ship and $100 to install basically a firmware. Tsk Tsk Canon.

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

sourcehill
Joined Aug 2013
Boston
Post has been edited 5 months ago by sourcehill.
Apr 21, 2017 15:35 |  #23

If they want people to take the 5DIV seriously for video, how do they NOT add focus peaking and zebra stripes?

I like gear and I have too much.
Check out my current work on Instagram @immichaelcarmen
redwoodandrye.com

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,675 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Apr 21, 2017 22:45 |  #24

Canon is offering to add a feature that wasn't available, for a nominal fee and people are upset... If it makes you mad, just ignore the update? There was less moping when canon offered the locking mode dial for the same price of $99.

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Apr 21, 2017 22:46 |  #25

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18334466 (external link)
Canon is offering to add a feature that wasn't available, for a nominal fee and people are upset... If it makes you mad, just ignore the update? There was less moping when canon offered the locking mode option for the same price.

Which you had done on your 7D. See I have a good memory.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

sploo
premature adulation
2,164 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
Apr 22, 2017 05:40 |  #26

Canon is offering to add a feature that wasn't available, for a nominal fee and people are upset... If it makes you mad, just ignore the update? There was less moping when canon offered the locking mode dial for the same price of $99.

I guess it's easier to justify an obvious physical change; whereas it's harder to picture exactly what will be done on this upgrade (that isn't simply a firmware or internal configuration change).

I suppose they could be changing/replacing a bit of hardware, but what could they do (cost effectively) for $99? Perhaps it is a configuration tweak, but some calibration is required.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,675 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Apr 22, 2017 07:00 |  #27

Canon has performed a hardware change in the past for $99, this isn't the first time. If the chip that needs a sink is in the open after removing the back, it is easy to put on a sink. The alternative is that they have to put in a hardware change to tell the firmware the capability exists, otherwise how will they manage firmware upgrades for enabled units vs not? At the minimum this has to be an update where they put in a non-updatable Rom indicator for the firmware to check when it runs.

They would have alot more takers had they added other 4k options though.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Apr 22, 2017 10:08 |  #28

I sent my 7D to get the locking dial soon after they announced it. Best thing I ever did and was worth every penny. Too many times I would switch camera's out of the bag shooting a wedding and I'd catch the dial on something. I stopped using a double harness because to much effort was wasted trying to keep the hanging camera bashing against something. Harness is OK in an open field.

Image Editing OK

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Apr 22, 2017 10:11 |  #29

I don't understand all the crying over the $99 charge.

You bought a product, now Canon offers an upgraded version with features you knew weren't available at the time. It's not unreasonable, particularly if they're making physical modifications somehow.

Not that I see myself shipping my 5D4 in for this conversion.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.comexternal link
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal link

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,544 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 22, 2017 12:14 |  #30

I don't know, it seems to set a precedent that is a bit scary to me.
I have no problem that the people that want this upgrade will pay for it, but I do have a problem with the precedent of paying for firmware (assuming that is all this is. We have absolutely no factual basis to claim there is a hardware change, just supposition. Of course the same can be said of it being firmware only ;) ) Additionally, there soon will be two 5D4s out there, some better than others, all based on a firmware we have to buy to update.

I just find it cloudy,. muddy waters.

Again, I don't recall reading about people dieing for this change, so it's impact, free or charged, in my little world view is minimal. More, I am a still shooter, so personally, what-evs.

I did read a LOT of complaints about the lack of FF 4k, and the file types the 5D4 records for 4k. I believe these are valid complaints, that the lack of these two features makes the 5D4 less competitive in the video SLR market, a market created by Canon and the 5D2,. a market Canon once owned with the 5D2s innovation. If 30x more people wanted that upgrade than this one, and Canon writes up a firmware that will let the 5D4 do it,. what if they charge then? Now we have three kinds of 5D4 with vastly different (Video) capabilities.

The still shooters don't care. What if Canon starts charging for firmware that makes still shooting better?

Like I said, I don't like the precedent.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

4,915 views & 1 like for this thread
5D4 - - - Video Firmware Upgrade!?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.