Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras
Thread started 02 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 09:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Nikon Un-announces More Cameras

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,625 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 02, 2017 09:33 |  #1

Nikon today un-announced a number of camera products, ranging from the lowest Coolpix to apparently not-yet-announced products (e.g. things like a possible D5x).

“We did so well in 2016 announcing products that we never delivered that we decided to go a step further this year,” said Takehiko Go, recently appointed to the new position of Director of Obsolescence at the company. "Our overall product margins increased enormously by not shipping the DL cameras, so we're now taking this to the next level. We expect our gross profit margin for the fiscal year to be the highest it's ever been in the digital camera era."

Along with the un-announcement of more products, it was also revealed that the entire product management team now reports to Go-san, which should facilitate the un-announcement of future products, as well.

Meanwhile, previous generations of cameras now have additional rebates on them in order to clear room for more products that will be un-announced in the future. Also, because unannounced products require less support, Nikon has announced further plans to cut marketing, sales, customer support, and repair services around the world. "With the additional savings from lower support needs, we expect to be highly profitable for some time," said Go-san.

Curiously, Nikon wouldn't identify the models that have actually been cancelled. According to Go-san "announcing which existing products are cancelled would hurt their final sales, and as we learned from the DL situation, announcing then un-announcing a product users never were able to handle actually hurt our reputation, so we also won't be disclosing future models that are going to be un-announced."

One additional point that Go-san made in his press conference was this: "Nikon is known for legacy lens support. All of the un-announced ILC cameras support all of our lenses dating back to 1959, and all future cameras that will be un-announced will also fully support the F-mount, confirming our desire to keep our loyal customer base happy."

As far as I can tell, the new full Nikon camera lineup is:

But I'm not entirely sure about that last one.

http://www.dslrbodies.​com ...on-un-announces-more.html (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
52,900 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Apr 02, 2017 10:00 |  #2

One of the best 4/1 stories I have seen. Very well done and almost believable. I love the line about unannounced products requiring less support. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

PhotosGuy
74,629 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Apr 02, 2017 11:20 |  #3

I'll bet that this has a lot to do with it: The DEATH of the Consumer Camera (external link)

Published on Sep 5, 2016
Camera manufacturers (Canon/Nikon/Sony/Pent​ax/Fuji/Olympus/Panaso​nic) ignored the potential of the iPhone & other smartphones for too long, and now they've lost the consumer camera mark. The industry is devastated. If they don't act fast, they'll lose the enthusiast market, too.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Boringjay
22 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Apr 21, 2017 19:32 |  #4

Nikon need to announce some good lenses too

739 views & 1 like for this thread
Nikon Un-announces More Cameras
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.