Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 19:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bird pictures

Nickothurston
38 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2016

Apr 23, 2017 19:41 |  #1

Hi here are some recent shots any advice is appreciated!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,241 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited over 1 year ago by PhotosGuy.

Apr 23, 2017 20:28 |  #2

Wish #1 was a tiny bit sharper, but both look good to me.
Selection for sharpening illustration.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,126 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 24, 2017 17:59 |  #3

Even though they tend to be uncooperative models, I think some degree of apparent engagement adds to our bird portraits. Even a few degrees of head angle toward the lens makes a significant difference in the appeal of a shot.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,841 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 24, 2017 19:20 |  #4

Nickothurston wrote in post #18336284 (external link)
Hi here are some recent shots any advice is appreciated!
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Nickothurston in
./showthread.php?p=183​36284&i=i27817607
forum: Critique Corner

I really like the overall mood and feel of this image, and it looks perfectly sharp to my eye on my monitor. I really like the image!

There are two things that concern me, from a compositional standpoint:

- The bird is looking right into the evergreen foliage. I mean, it is right there right in it's face. It would have been nice to have been able to wait for a moment in which the bird would have had some more negative space in front of him.

- Directly behind the bird's head is an area of brown in an otherwise green background. I realize this is probably a tree branch or trunk, but it still distracts my eye because the oh-so-beautiful green is interrupted with tones that are not so beautiful.

Nickothurston wrote in post #18336284 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Nickothurston in
./showthread.php?p=183​36284&i=i218997337
forum: Critique Corner

As George said, a little bit of a head turn here - even just 10 degrees - would have made a positive difference. But it is really nice image, and I think that you rendered the background perfectly - I love the way that it is all blurred out, but yet there is variation in the blur, instead of just a single tone.

Perhaps it would have been nice to have the beach habitat in a little better focus, but then if you do that the background wouldn't have been so awesome. I think you pretty much did as well as one could with the opportunity.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Nickothurston
THREAD ­ STARTER
38 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2016

Apr 24, 2017 23:41 |  #5

Thanks everyone, It is so nice to have other people look at my work and see things I did not notice.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,612 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 03, 2017 23:53 |  #6

We are obviously looking at details here, they are good shots. I like the pose in #1 and the atmosphere. I agree with Tom on the other points.

#2 I think the white feathers on the breast are just a little too blown. I know it is realty tough and sometime you just have to deal with some blown highlights, but to me this is just a bit too much.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,353 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

May 04, 2017 22:05 |  #7

If you drop your shutter speed and iso you will get more feather detail, no need to shoot above 250 if subject is not moving

My Gear flickr (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
6,425 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 04, 2017 22:27 |  #8

I have been trying bird shots for the past few weeks and have learned how difficult getting good bird shots is. I would be very very happy if I got bird shots like yours.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,612 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 04, 2017 23:37 |  #9

Sibil wrote in post #18346654 (external link)
I have been trying bird shots for the past few weeks and have learned how difficult getting good bird shots is. I would be very very happy if I got bird shots like yours.

I look at bird photos like flower photos. They are naturally pretty, so to get a 'good' shot, it has to be really good and as with good flower shots, it's not easy.

Actually, I can't think of a genre of photography where it is easy to get really good photos.

Or art.

Or much in life really.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,071 posts
Gallery: 178 photos
Joined May 2008

May 04, 2017 23:47 |  #10

I think they are very nice shots. The light is good, the backgrounds are fine, the specimens are interesting. I do agree with the other comments, but it is tough getting perfect bird pics, so usually we settle for great shots instead of perfect shots.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,841 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 05, 2017 00:06 |  #11

Archibald wrote in post #18346701 (external link)
. . . it is tough getting perfect bird pics, so usually we settle for great shots instead of perfect shots.

That is an excellent summation, Archie.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Larry Johnson.

May 07, 2017 16:02 |  #12

Overall, not bad at all. The shot of the warbler could be improved with light on the subject. Why shoot him in the rain? Also, focus seems to be on the limb at center frame rather than on the bird's eye.

The shorebird(?) photo isn't bad, but just doesn't have the wow factor. Patience for a better composition may have been the answer. Would have like to see at least one foot too. The slope of the hill (I presume) makes it look like the photo is tilted. Finally, slight blown highlights.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,738 views & 14 likes for this thread
Bird pictures
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.