Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 18 Apr 2017 (Tuesday) 12:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

why real estate agents need quality photos

jaredcwood
Joined Dec 2012
Philadelphia
Apr 18, 2017 12:24 |  #1

My simple beginners blog on real estate photography.

https://jaredcwood.com ...-hire-good-photographers/ (external link)

JaredCWood.com (external link)
Canon 6D, Canon 77D 2x
16-35 2.8L, 24-70 IIL, 70-200 2.8L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8
580ex, 430ex IIIRT 2x, 430ex

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,938 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 18, 2017 13:14 |  #2

My wife isn't a photographer but she takes her own shots. I set up one of the custom slots for her on the 7D2 and she knows to pull out a specific lens when she needs pics. She sets the dial, puts on the lens, and shoots. I post process for her since she doesn't know photoshop or have the patience for it. She knows the key points she wants to accentuate in the listing, so I let her do the shooting.

I agree real estate listings need better photos, but it is hard for a realtor to pay a photographer and schedule a time in some markets, and when the MLS only allows an image of 960 on a side, they have even less initiative it seems. This is why I set up something that works better for her than point and shoot of other agents. I plan on getting into the aerial aspects of this market here soon. In these here markets, a 100K home doesn't net a realtor alot of extra margin to bring others into the listing activities.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

jaredcwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2012
Philadelphia
Apr 18, 2017 13:29 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #3

I think that's perfect what you're doing for your wife and I agree aerial is going to be booming soon too.

Thanks for the input.

Canon 6D, Canon 77D 2x

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,938 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 18, 2017 13:39 |  #4

Aerial is already hitting our markets, but I KNOW that the agents using a drone themselves, or 3rd party shooters they are hiring, aren't following FAA rules. To become a bonafide and legal drone operator, the hoops you go through and costs are ridiculous. :(

jaredcwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2012
Philadelphia
Apr 18, 2017 19:40 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #5

yes but that just means this is the time to lead your area in this industry. The price of drones is just plummeting too. I think video is doing great for drone but photos are still a bit limited.

Canon 6D, Canon 77D 2x

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Post has been edited 6 months ago by dmward.
Apr 19, 2017 15:40 |  #6

As important as a reasonable camera is ability to balance ambient and strobe lighting, staging and all the other stuff that a seasoned professional brings to a job.

Smaller markets offer significant opportunity for a professional photographer that is willing to learn the discipline of real estate photography. They will have to educate agents about the importance of staging and making the property photogenic.

If you're a smaller market photographer wanting to get into the real estate photography business, start by going to a major market real estate broker's site and look at the images. They were probably done by a professional. I've done jobs where I was following the stagers around the house. They'd finish a room, I'd shoot it.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

jaredcwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2012
Philadelphia
Apr 19, 2017 15:55 |  #7

That's a great idea. I spent 5-7 hours leaning on Lynda.com about some real estate specific techniques and just starred shooting friends houses and then reached out to my realtor who uses an old android for her listings

Canon 6D, Canon 77D 2x

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Apr 21, 2017 21:59 |  #8

jaredcwood wrote in post #18332309 (external link)
That's a great idea. I spent 5-7 hours leaning on Lynda.com about some real estate specific techniques and just starred shooting friends houses and then reached out to my realtor who uses an old android for her listings

HERE (external link) is the web page of a broker for whom I've done some work.
It will give you an idea of what is expected in a major city market. If you can do work to this level you should clean up in a smaller market.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Post has been edited 6 months ago by joooowan.
Apr 21, 2017 22:10 |  #9

go look at listings in major costal cities and vacation spots. The kind of houses that's price tag is strictly for the view or location, take note of how that photographer shot it. Save the photos, critique it.. whatever.. study the f out of what someone tiers above you is doing.

CC welcome.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Post has been edited 6 months ago by dmward.
Apr 23, 2017 23:57 |  #10

I've never bothered with Lynda.com for tutorials there are literally hundreds of them on various websites.

One thing to consider is that there are several levels of technical detail related to real estate photography.

There are companies in major markets that are making a fortune with photography that is basic, but well executed by trained professionals. There are also numerous examples of photography involving complex photographic techniques that are well short of acceptable professional work.

What approach is required depends on what's in front of the camera. I've shot real estate with a single ambient exposure and a single exposure with added flash. I've shot real estate with 5 bracketed exposures plus an exposure with flash fill. I've shot real estate with multiple bracketed exposures, along with several exposures with speedlites fired to illuminate specific details in the image. I've shot real estate with as many as 15 frames blended together along with new sky to complete the image.

HERE (external link) are some galleries to illustrate.

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Apr 24, 2017 14:03 |  #11

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18331266 (external link)
Aerial is already hitting our markets, but I KNOW that the agents using a drone themselves, or 3rd party shooters they are hiring, aren't following FAA rules. To become a bonafide and legal drone operator, the hoops you go through and costs are ridiculous. :(

That's why I can't wait until the day the FAA or someone actually regulates commercial drone usage. I spent the time getting licensed and the cost is only $150. One job easily pays for that.

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40 f4 L | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Lots of lights | A huge wishlist | A big dream
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,938 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Apr 24, 2017 14:42 |  #12

seaLere wrote in post #18337192 (external link)
That's why I can't wait until the day the FAA or someone actually regulates commercial drone usage. I spent the time getting licensed and the cost is only $150. One job easily pays for that.

I will get my license too, but guess what? I still cannot just go out and fly in just about our entire county, which accounts for something like 500K people without trying to get FAA authorization. I will have to file for a waiver after that even. It is a pretty large market and those of us that want to honor the intent of the law are going to lose out over those that are under the radar. I don't want more regulation, absolutely not, I want them to put in rules that actually make sense.

Up to 400' 5 miles from an airport is a joke... 1 mile from an airport, maybe 2, sure, despite any aircraft flying at 400' or lower in that area is most likely about to crash anyways. I understand though that somebody might be flying their drone 400' above a structure, and if a structure is tall enough, that could put them well into E airspace which could be a problem.

How about up to 300' AGL outside a 2 mile radius of an airport in B-E airspace, 400' AGL outside 3 miles and then 400' above structures 5 miles out? If airspaces are designed like upside down wedding cakes, do the the same for drones. This is where this really needs to go, we don't need more oversight and regulation, we just need more sensible rules.

I need to go schedule myself, I think I have learned as much as I can for that test. Any good reference material other than the FAA site?

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Apr 24, 2017 14:52 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18337234 (external link)
I will get my license too, but guess what? I still cannot just go out and fly in just about our entire county, which accounts for something like 500K people without trying to get FAA authorization. I will have to file for a waiver after that even. It is a pretty large market and those of us that want to honor the intent of the law are going to lose out over those that are under the radar. I don't want more regulation, absolutely not, I want them to put in rules that actually make sense.

Up to 400' 5 miles from an airport is a joke... 1 mile from an airport, maybe 2, sure, despite any aircraft flying at 400' or lower in that area is most likely about to crash anyways. I understand though that somebody might be flying their drone 400' above a structure, and if a structure is tall enough, that could put them well into E airspace which could be a problem.

How about up to 300' AGL outside a 2 mile radius of an airport in B-E airspace, 400' AGL outside 3 miles and then 400' above structures 5 miles out? If airspaces are designed like upside down wedding cakes, do the the same for drones. This is where this really needs to go, we don't need more oversight and regulation, we just need more sensible rules.

I need to go schedule myself, I think I have learned as much as I can for that test. Any good reference material other than the FAA site?

I just used their study guide as well as like 2 websites, 1 of which includes a practice exam and another which has like 40 questions and answers (They're 2 of the top pages you get when you google anything about part 107 practice exam).

They seem to be pretty close in terms of what to expect but there was a lot more questions on operations/rules and even radio than I expected.

And not that I would ever condone flight in airspace, just rememember...radar won't pick up a drone ;)

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40 f4 L | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Lots of lights | A huge wishlist | A big dream

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,938 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Apr 24, 2017 16:48 as a reply to seaLere's post |  #14

The riskier issue here is that I have a fly away and something gets damaged, a report is filed, and I cannot show authorization.... I am not worried about being detected. :)

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Apr 25, 2017 11:08 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18337392 (external link)
The riskier issue here is that I have a fly away and something gets damaged, a report is filed, and I cannot show authorization.... I am not worried about being detected. :)

Valid concern! haha. Just take it, you will be glad you did. I registered and took it the next day on my day off. Basically said YOLO haha

sponsored links

1,344 views & 1 like for this thread
why real estate agents need quality photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.