Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 11:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?

CheshireCat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Sunny California
Post has been edited 5 months ago by CheshireCat.
Apr 26, 2017 23:36 |  #541
banned

johnf3f wrote in post #18339402 (external link)
Now we have a Sony body that looks very promising (well at least from the specs) - but at a grand more than my (new) 1DX was????

?? A grand more ??

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,480 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Apr 27, 2017 10:58 |  #542

embargo is off, you can see the full review of the A9 now

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Apr 27, 2017 11:31 |  #543

Charlie wrote in post #18340064 (external link)
embargo is off, you can see the full review of the A9 now

Thanks for posting that, Charlie. I found the Northrup's review to be very balanced and objective, and extremely informative.

I can't help but to relate to one thing that Tony said, "Ergonomically, I still like the big, fat DSLR."

I hope that at some point in the near future, Sony realizes that there are actually a fair number of photographers who prefer a large camera, and that making everything "small and light" is actually not always an advantage.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Charlie
13,480 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Apr 27, 2017 11:40 |  #544

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18340095 (external link)
Thanks for posting that, Charlie. I found the Northrup's review to be very balanced and objective, and extremely informative.

I can't help but to relate to one thing that Tony said, "Ergonomically, I still like the big, fat DSLR."

I hope that at some point in the near future, Sony realizes that there are actually a fair number of photographers who prefer a large camera, and that making everything "small and light" is actually not always an advantage.

I just want the no blackout, which looks amazing.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

corndog ­ cabernet
Joined May 2010
State of chaos
Apr 27, 2017 12:54 |  #545

“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.” - Mark Twain

If this is old news or has been posted here before, my apologies:
https://petapixel.com ...mirrorless-fatal-mistake/ (external link)
In the above article the author makes some good points and a few might be exagerated to fortify his POV, IMO. Overall, he makes a fairly compelling case however.

Though I have been very interested to read about FF Mirrorless, I have long been skeptical about Sony. With the exception of a Walkman (back in the stone ages) and a Trinitron XBR TV (middle ages) every Sony product I've bought was pretty much a piece of junk. I'm also aware of their history of trying to reinvent the wheel and lock up a market. http://www.obsoletemed​ia.org/lists/sony/ (external link) and I don't glom on so easy. Sony seems to like to gamble, in the hopes of hitting it big. I'm not much of a gambler myself.

Funny thing, the more I read about Sony and Nikon and Canon, the more I'm attracted to Fuji.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by idkdc. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 27, 2017 13:31 |  #546

banding still present.

af looks decent in video, odd omission of 4k 60p, prob has to do with lack of xqd. grip is too small with gmaster lenses for medium sized hands.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

Charlie
13,480 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Apr 27, 2017 14:10 |  #547

idkdc wrote in post #18340191 (external link)

banding still present.

af looks decent in video, odd omission of 4k 60p, prob has to do with lack of xqd. grip is too small with gmaster lenses for medium sized hands.

it's too bad, he didnt list the shutter speed, since the banding is dependent on shutter speed. One of the workarounds with banding has been to shoot at different shutter speeds, and you just have to test this before you commit to shooting for the night. From what I remember, 1/80, 1/125 and 1/160 were ok? it's been a few months since I had to figure out, but there was a work around for the a7rii

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Apr 27, 2017 14:53 |  #548

Charlie wrote in post #18340233 (external link)
it's too bad, he didnt list the shutter speed, since the banding is dependent on shutter speed. One of the workarounds with banding has been to shoot at different shutter speeds, and you just have to test this before you commit to shooting for the night. From what I remember, 1/80, 1/125 and 1/160 were ok? it's been a few months since I had to figure out, but there was a work around for the a7rii

Those workaround shutter speeds are not really good options for stage performances. Interesting to know. Thank you for taking the time to share with me that information.

XT2 | 16-140mm

CheshireCat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Sunny California
Apr 27, 2017 15:00 as a reply to Charlie's post |  #549
banned

The buffer download speed to SD is a bummer.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

CheshireCat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Sunny California
Post has been edited 5 months ago by CheshireCat.
Apr 27, 2017 15:09 |  #550
banned

idkdc wrote in post #18340191 (external link)

af looks decent in video, odd omission of 4k 60p, prob has to do with lack of xqd.

Very high quality H.264 4k@60 requires about 200 Mbps (25 MB/sec). Therefore the issue must be either encoder ASIC performance or thermal.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
Joined Jul 2009
Chicago & Samsonite
Apr 27, 2017 15:11 |  #551

corndog cabernet wrote in post #18340165 (external link)
“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.” - Mark Twain

If this is old news or has been posted here before, my apologies:
https://petapixel.com ...mirrorless-fatal-mistake/ (external link)
In the above article the author makes some good points and a few might be exagerated to fortify his POV, IMO. Overall, he makes a fairly compelling case however.

Though I have been very interested to read about FF Mirrorless, I have long been skeptical about Sony. With the exception of a Walkman (back in the stone ages) and a Trinitron XBR TV (middle ages) every Sony product I've bought was pretty much a piece of junk. I'm also aware of their history of trying to reinvent the wheel and lock up a market. http://www.obsoletemed​ia.org/lists/sony/ (external link) and I don't glom on so easy. Sony seems to like to gamble, in the hopes of hitting it big. I'm not much of a gambler myself.

Funny thing, the more I read about Sony and Nikon and Canon, the more I'm attracted to Fuji.

I feel the same about Sony. I'm really considering Leica again; Fuji is a crop.

I thought I could salvage my Zeiss glass investment with Sony, but the size of the kit is still the size of the glass.

multidisciplinary visual guy | id/bauhaus alum | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5DIV w/EgS, 5DIII w/EgS, 35LIIƒ1.4, 16-35Lƒ4IS, 70-200LIIƒ2.8IS
zeiss
distagon 15ƒ2.8, 21ƒ2.8, 25ƒ2, 28ƒ2, 24-85N; apo sonnar 135ƒ2; makro planar 50ƒ2, 100ƒ2; milvus 50ƒ1.4

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Apr 27, 2017 15:12 |  #552

CheshireCat wrote in post #18340273 (external link)
Very high quality H.264 4k@60 requires about 200 Mbps (25 MB/sec). Therefore the issue must be either encoder ASIC performance or thermal.

That's true, yeah. Even low compression 800 Mbit is just 125 MBps, which should be fine for UHS II cards. Probably thermal since the ASIC can handle 20 FPS compressed RAW? Maybe ASIC though since it only handles 12 fps uncompressed raw.

XT2 | 16-140mm

corndog ­ cabernet
Joined May 2010
State of chaos
Post has been edited 5 months ago by corndog cabernet.
Apr 27, 2017 15:30 |  #553

mcluckie wrote in post #18340274 (external link)
I feel the same about Sony. I'm really considering Leica again; Fuji is a crop.

I thought I could salvage my Zeiss glass investment with Sony, but the size of the kit is still the size of the glass.

I'm not advocating for aps sized format specifically, but with my recent entree into Fuji's world with an X100S, I have been favorably impressed. While certainly no substitute for a Canon or Nikon with long lenses, with shorter lenses they deliver. Travel and general use where exquisite speed isn't necessary but high image quality is required is where Fuji shines.

Any working guy doing events or fashion or sports will still want their DSLRs, or maybe, a hot rod mirrorless like Sony.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Apr 27, 2017 15:56 |  #554

corndog cabernet wrote in post #18340290 (external link)
I'm not advocating for aps sized format specifically, but with my recent entree into Fuji's world with an X100S, I have been favorably impressed. While certainly no substitute for a Canon or Nikon with long lenses, with shorter lenses they deliver. Travel and general use where exquisite speed isn't necessary but high image quality is required is where Fuji shines.

Any working guy doing events or fashion or sports will still want their DSLRs, or maybe, a hot rod mirrorless like Sony.

For my travel I use a Sony kit which consists of two cameras ( A7R and A6000 ) and a collection of lenses from 18mm up to 100mm. My travel photography consists of both street / environmental portraits and landscape photography and ultimate image quality is important for my landscapes. I tried the Fuji system for a bit but found the image quality was lacking, especially when printing large.

With the two Sony cameras, they share everything from lenses, batteries, cards and chargers. I use the A7R mostly for landscapes and environmental images along with Zeiss glass and use the 6300 with either the Sony 28mm or 35mm which make for a great very compact outfit.

Going the Sony route for my travel allows me to use one system for both my landscape images and street images, very flexible that way.

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
Joined Jul 2009
Chicago & Samsonite
Apr 27, 2017 16:54 |  #555

corndog cabernet wrote in post #18340290 (external link)

Hot rod, maybe. I'm hoping the 6D2 will take EgS screens and CF. But, yeah, a real silent mode.

You're right; there seems to be a lot of medium-wide to normal lenses in APS-C systems.

I had a 100S and I think my lack of love was the 35mm lens. I have a love/hate with a 35mm—I'd need a 28 or a 50 to make the voices stop.

The Xt-2 looks very interesting, so I can get my preferred focal length. I'd have to get new optics, but I have no idea what I'd sell to make room. Its too much trouble... maybe just go Leica and be done.

Humorous aside:
I was just in Manhattan and went to B and H, looking to see these options. Salesguy blew off Fuji and Canon M5 because they're APS-C, done deal. Wouldn't even get off his chair. I said I read that Fuji has better lenses than Sony, and he kept pushing an A7r2 to me. The viewfinder was kind-of optical experience. Never got shown a Fuji or M5, despite my asking again.

multidisciplinary visual guy | id/bauhaus alum | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5DIV w/EgS, 5DIII w/EgS, 35LIIƒ1.4, 16-35Lƒ4IS, 70-200LIIƒ2.8IS
zeiss
distagon 15ƒ2.8, 21ƒ2.8, 25ƒ2, 28ƒ2, 24-85N; apo sonnar 135ƒ2; makro planar 50ƒ2, 100ƒ2; milvus 50ƒ1.4

sponsored links

54,412 views & 621 likes for this thread
Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.