Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 26 Apr 2009 (Sunday) 14:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Show Us Your RAW Conversions, BEFORE And AFTER

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,367 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
Apr 21, 2017 16:59 |  #6496

Probably the easiest way to capture the adjustments made to a specific raw file in LR is to save the XMP sidecar file and distribute it with the raw file,

The posters above seemed to want a record of all the intermediate stages and of the order in which they were set. The xmp won't supply the goods because it shows only the settings at a given moment, usually the final moment before export or transfer to another application - or discouraged abandonment. I often spend several minutes searching for the best balance between
"Exposure", Highlights and White Point or between Sharpening, Clarity and NR

Moreover, the settings are listed in a fixed order, which may or may not be the same as the user's plan of attack.

Elie / אלי

sponsored links
kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,397 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Apr 21, 2017 19:08 as a reply to tzalman's post |  #6497

Yeah, I'm not sure any posts in the thread show the thought process and the back and forth, which is probably too much information anyway.

Screenshots of the final settings show the same thing as the XMP, just easier to read.

Kirk
---

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Apr 28, 2017 10:18 |  #6498

Wow... I'm behind. Didn't know LR now has adjustment layers.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 28, 2017 10:25 as a reply to Nathan's post |  #6499

It has a lot of ways to do powerful local adjustments, and each local adjustment is mostly-independent of the others (the final image-render shows the total of all the adjustments), but they're not in "layers" the way you imagine them in Photoshop.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Apr 28, 2017 21:41 |  #6500

Nathan wrote in post #18340922 (external link)
Wow... I'm behind. Didn't know LR now has adjustment layers.

Brushes not layers but, like layers they allow for local adjustment to parts of the image.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

ckiekens
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2014
Post has been edited 6 months ago by ckiekens.
Apr 29, 2017 02:40 |  #6501

Before and after editing the raw file in Lightroom. What would you do differently? What do you think? I'm open to constructive criticism, thank you!

I started by bringing the highlights way down and bringing the shadows way up. I also slid the whites up and blacks slightly down. This brought out the sky and details in the hallway pretty well. I added a little clarity, vibrance, and a very small amount of saturation. I sharpened the photo and added some masking, enabled profile corrections, and added some local adjustments. I began with two gradient filters to under expose the top and bottom of the frame. I also added some exposure to the doorway to make it pop a bit more.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Chris

palad1n
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
May 18, 2017 06:40 |  #6502

HOSTED PHOTO

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7047/26950473625_c680f8dff0_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/H4wd​Sn] (external link)Moravia fields II (external link) by Lukas Krasa (external link), on Flickr

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

ManiZ
Joined Sep 2009
Mile High City
May 31, 2017 13:30 |  #6503

Guys, you aren't reading the directions on page 1. Must post a screen shot of your adjustments too so others can see what you actually did.

5D4 Gripped | 16-35 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 85 f1.8 | 600EX-RT | 430EXII | YN-468II | YN-622c | 'Stuff'

ManiZ
Joined Sep 2009
Mile High City
Post has been edited 5 months ago by ManiZ.
May 31, 2017 13:32 |  #6504

Nearly all adjustments were global. Only local ones were a +0.3 exposure on the building and +30 shadow recovery on the same:

HOSTED PHOTO

5D4 Gripped | 16-35 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 85 f1.8 | 600EX-RT | 430EXII | YN-468II | YN-622c | 'Stuff'

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
May 31, 2017 14:13 |  #6505

ManiZ wrote in post #18367561 (external link)
Guys, you aren't reading the directions on page 1. Must post a screen shot of your adjustments too so others can see what you actually did.

That can be very complicated as far as I am concerned. For instance:
1. Pre-process in DxO Optics Pro
2. Tonemap with an HDR app
3. Import to Photoshop
4. Levels/Curves adjustment
5. Selective treatment with brushes
6. Apply nik and/or Topaz filters
7. Resize and apply hipass sharpening.

Am I required to illustrate all these or are descriptions (as above) okay?

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

ManiZ
Joined Sep 2009
Mile High City
May 31, 2017 16:11 |  #6506

That's easy! The thread rule is that only basic raw converters are allowed, so Lightroom, DPP, C1 etc. are fine but PS, Nik, Topaz etc. are not. There are other threads for that.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
May 31, 2017 19:28 |  #6507

ManiZ wrote in post #18367736 (external link)
That's easy! The thread rule is that only basic raw converters are allowed, so Lightroom, DPP, C1 etc. are fine but PS, Nik, Topaz etc. are not. There are other threads for that.

All of the listed items are used for RAW conversion...all part of the process.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
May 31, 2017 20:06 |  #6508

DagoImaging wrote in post #18367868 (external link)
All of the listed items are used for RAW conversion...all part of the process.

No, they are used to convert from RAW to a final image, which will require conversion to a TIFF/PSD for work in PS, Nik etc.

This thread is for images that started and finished as RAW files with no conversion. All work done in a RAW processor on a RAW files such as LR, ACR, DPP, C1 etc.

The whole purpose of this thread is to showcase what can be done when working exclusively on a RAW file and to show the actual adjustments.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

ckiekens
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2014
Aug 10, 2017 02:43 as a reply to palad1n's post |  #6509

Great work.

Chris

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
1,957 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Melbourne Australia
Aug 16, 2017 12:13 |  #6510

one raw conversion from a recent trip to Japan where I got to catch up with a troop of snow monkeys that live in the mountains in Yamanouchi Prefecture. It was very Sunny day and shadows were horrible and harshand really not much I could do as the monkeys were too far away for fill flash to have any effect. I was actually surprised when I got into ACR RAW how much shadow detail my 5dsr was capable of capturing....Especiall​y when I was 100% convinced when reviewing on the 5dsr's LCD screen that there would be crushed blacks with nothing to recover.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,968,447 views & 180 likes for this thread
Show Us Your RAW Conversions, BEFORE And AFTER
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.