Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras
Thread started 28 Apr 2017 (Friday) 14:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Stupid fuji

MysticFalcon
Joined Jun 2012
Vermont
Apr 29, 2017 04:42 as a reply to post 18341338 |  #16

Well, I checked the weight of everything. The kits are not exactly equivalent, but the fuji kit saves about 25% of the weight.
Going with the Fuji 50-140 instead of the canon 135L gets rid of some of the weight savings.
The size difference in also very substantial. There is no way I could fit the whole canon kit in a backpack.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Made the Fuji Switch
X-T2 | X-T20 | 18-55 | 55-140 | 100-400 | 8mm FE | 23mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | 56mm 1.2
www.NEKPics.com (external link)

sponsored links
Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Two Hot Shoes. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 29, 2017 05:48 |  #17

The only way I could ever get any of My 5D mark-iii's to focus in low light was by sticking a Canon flash on top and using the AF assist light, once that was on it did a good job but far from perfect. Take that off and the Fuji's shamed the Canon in low light AF accuracy. Mirrorless cameras can not use IR AF assist [Shame that] & there is no way I ever going to turn on the AF assist LED. Shooting with a fast AF lens [LIke the 16-55 f/2.8] and the X-PRO2/X-T2 is more that good enough for my needs even kids junked up on sugar. Even the 'slow' 56mm f/1.2 does a decent job these days, kaizen at work, something I love Fuji for.

It was the consistent accuracy of the AF that drew me into shooting more and more with my little mirrorless crop camera, that and the amazing files that popped out of the camera, JPEG or raw both were very good, I honestly had a very hard guessing what camera took what shot once I graded them up. In processing find the Fuji files have a much better dynamic range than the 5D3 too but that wouldn't be hard. The 5D3 is a wonderful do it all camera that is hard to break and Canon make some truly great lenses to match it, as do Sigma, really nice to shoot with them all. Aaaa memories.

There are pros and cons with all camera systems and I'd love to be able to support more than one, but for the little time I might need a camera to fill a gap where using the Fuji would be to difficult I can always rent for the few days. If you look at the progression of what Fuji have done with their system over the last five years, the X-PRO1 is 5 this year, it's really progressive & I'm looking forward to seeing the continued development that is pushed from the factory. Canon I find are very slow in that regard and they keep good things only for their 'Pro' cameras like the 1Dx. Never offering any firmware upgrade to add newly developed features and improvements. (OK the 5D4 is getting c-log soon but at $99 for the upgrade when the camera should have shipped with it already). This frustrates me as I feel like I'm be ransomed into spending €7k on a 1Dx-ii [probably double then as I need at least two cameras] and having then to carry that bulk about, just to get the features I need if I want the best they have.

You should keep the system that works for you or if you can keep a split that covers you - best of both worlds then. I did the latter for a year until I figured out what I truly needed/wanted: Fuji & happy for that now.

As long as you keep shooting...

Cameras: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2
Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,086 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Apr 29, 2017 07:35 |  #18

Compare what I got up to 85mm to the Fuji and u start to see amazing weight savings.

As long as I keep shooting is my problem. I want to shoot Fuji more than canon right now.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Apr 29, 2017 10:44 |  #19

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18341620 (external link)
The only way I could ever get any of My 5D mark-iii's to focus in low light was by sticking a Canon flash on top and using the AF assist light, once that was on it did a good job but far from perfect. Take that off and the Fuji's shamed the Canon in low light AF accuracy. Mirrorless cameras can not use IR AF assist [Shame that] & there is no way I ever going to turn on the AF assist LED. Shooting with a fast AF lens [LIke the 16-55 f/2.8] and the X-PRO2/X-T2 is more that good enough for my needs even kids junked up on sugar. Even the 'slow' 56mm f/1.2 does a decent job these days, kaizen at work, something I love Fuji for.

It was the consistent accuracy of the AF that drew me into shooting more and more with my little mirrorless crop camera, that and the amazing files that popped out of the camera, JPEG or raw both were very good, I honestly had a very hard guessing what camera took what shot once I graded them up. In processing find the Fuji files have a much better dynamic range than the 5D3 too but that wouldn't be hard. The 5D3 is a wonderful do it all camera that is hard to break and Canon make some truly great lenses to match it, as do Sigma, really nice to shoot with them all. Aaaa memories.

There are pros and cons with all camera systems and I'd love to be able to support more than one, but for the little time I might need a camera to fill a gap where using the Fuji would be to difficult I can always rent for the few days. If you look at the progression of what Fuji have done with their system over the last five years, the X-PRO1 is 5 this year, it's really progressive & I'm looking forward to seeing the continued development that is pushed from the factory. Canon I find are very slow in that regard and they keep good things only for their 'Pro' cameras like the 1Dx. Never offering any firmware upgrade to add newly developed features and improvements. (OK the 5D4 is getting c-log soon but at $99 for the upgrade when the camera should have shipped with it already). This frustrates me as I feel like I'm be ransomed into spending €7k on a 1Dx-ii [probably double then as I need at least two cameras] and having then to carry that bulk about, just to get the features I need if I want the best they have.

You should keep the system that works for you or if you can keep a split that covers you - best of both worlds then. I did the latter for a year until I figured out what I truly needed/wanted: Fuji & happy for that now.

As long as you keep shooting...

Excellent way to describe how to grab gear in your "gearbag". I know a lot of photographers having both Primary and Secondary systems to cover what is needed for work or play. "Secondary" doesn't necessarily indicate lower tier. My fuji is my main go to system for a high percentage of my personal family photography and some events (I still bring my Canon shooting both systems).

I often see people saying "I dumped my DSLR for fuji" That is fine as long as the fuji system will cover your needs and requirements. In my system I must consider selling off my cactus v2 system. The fuji X-T2 with Cactus V2 and EF-X500 does NOT support TTL support when the fuji flash is mounted on the camera w/ Cactus V2. Fuji physically did something to the metal shoe!!!!!

I can operate my Canon gear easily like second nature with cactus RF60 flash units remotely for events. Having TTL throughput information on the cactus trigger on shoe is a requirement of mine. This is why my Fuji is not my primary system. However other folks shooting fuji probably do not have similar shooting styles.

Every photogs needs are different. This is why some photogs can happily dump a heavier dlsr with fantastic battery life over a smaller lighter fuji system with poor to average battery life. I'm honestly considering just buying a battery booster for my X-T2 simply because I dislike the fuji battery life and I'll bite my tongue in adding weight.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Apr 29, 2017 15:24 as a reply to AlanU's post |  #20

The booster weight is not bad. And it helps the ergonomics when using bigger lenses for me.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Apr 30, 2017 23:43 |  #21

bpalermini wrote in post #18341364 (external link)
I live in both worlds and love carrying and using my X-E2 but the thing that keeps me in the Canon world is getting something in focus when it is moving and following it while shooting. Fuji C focus mode is nowhere near as good as on my Canon bodies and the viewfinder delay on burst mode are show stoppers for a lot of what I shoot. I would also need a 300mm f2.8.

Tools for the job and horses for courses. I love my X-T2 for street photography and as an always with me camera but I won't be giving up my Canon 5DIII any time soon as I also shoot sport and architecture, the former with a long 400 lens and the latter with a Tilt Shift.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

F2Bthere
703 posts
Joined Oct 2015
May 01, 2017 00:14 |  #22

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18343225 (external link)
Tools for the job and horses for courses. I love my X-T2 for street photography and as an always with me camera but I won't be giving up my Canon 5DIII any time soon as I also shoot sport and architecture, the former with a long 400 lens and the latter with a Tilt Shift.

$300 will land a tilt-shift adapter which will turn any Nikon F lens into a T/S lens on Fuji :). There is a similar Nikon to Hasselblad adapter giving serious movement options if doubled up. There are variations for other brands.

Not saying you should go over--just pointing out options :)

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

aznkid248
Joined Sep 2012
May 01, 2017 04:25 |  #23

Long term Canon User for about 7 years. I mainly shoot with a 50mm prime and is still a 5d3 owner. However, I just bought a Fuji XT2 with a 35mm (52.5mm). Now, I'm just waiting for Fuji to fullfil my order. A Iot of dslr owners are switching to mirrorless whether it is Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, or Fuji. It's on you whether you absolutely want to. The technology it is there and you get very similar results for the fraction of the cost and weight. For me, I love my 5d3 I can't part away from my DSLR, but I need to keep my young back alive, so when I travel I would bring my xt2. It's on you​ whether the jump is right. Personally, if you can still deal with the weight, I would keep your setup. Just wait a bit.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2010
Chicago
May 01, 2017 09:08 |  #24

I've been on the fence for a while now. I really don't mind taking my DSLR on vacation if I keep it small meaning just go out with 1 lens attached. If I have my 24 or 50 prime its not that heavy and I like the advantages of having full frame, better battery etc. and having so much Canon stuff to choose from but in the near future I'm sure I'll be getting an X Pro 2.

I don't see why Canon has not created some wider, even EF-S only, primes in the 12-16mm range. I think a rebel with a tiny 14mm 2.8 prime would keep a lot of people in the Canon camp and it would be a lot less than going to Fuji. But Fuji does have a certain coolness to it. I really like the way they design a camera and there is something to be said for that.

I think, for me, the way to go is keeping Canon for UW and Tele and having Fuji for the mid range so something like Fuji with 14, 23, and 56 and Canon with 16-35, 100-400 ( but I doubt I'll ever dump my Canon primes :-}

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G15 • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 24-70L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 1.4x • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,086 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
May 01, 2017 09:25 |  #25

Tommydigi wrote in post #18343429 (external link)
I've been on the fence for a while now. I really don't mind taking my DSLR on vacation if I keep it small meaning just go out with 1 lens attached. If I have my 24 or 50 prime its not that heavy and I like the advantages of having full frame, better battery etc. and having so much Canon stuff to choose from but in the near future I'm sure I'll be getting an X Pro 2.

I don't see why Canon has not created some wider, even EF-S only, primes in the 12-16mm range. I think a rebel with a tiny 14mm 2.8 prime would keep a lot of people in the Canon camp and it would be a lot less than going to Fuji. But Fuji does have a certain coolness to it. I really like the way they design a camera and there is something to be said for that.

I think, for me, the way to go is keeping Canon for UW and Tele and having Fuji for the mid range so something like Fuji with 14, 23, and 56 and Canon with 16-35, 100-400 ( but I doubt I'll ever dump my Canon primes :-}

I love the features/build and everything about the M5.... but Canon does not support the M mount lenses. They need a complete lineup like Fuji has and then they will be competitive. Their DPAF is unmatched for focusing imho. Miles ahead of even fuji offering.

Canon needs lenses. Period.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Osa713. 2 edits done in total.
May 01, 2017 09:52 as a reply to Talley's post |  #26

The ergonomics, shooting style, and new tech is what moved me to Fuji.

Having the ISO, shutter and F stop in a tactile manner suits my shooting style. With a small prime and no grip the X-T2 is an amazing travel camera. Then I can put a grip on and shoot all day so the versatility is nice.

When I had my canon I was constantly lusting over full frame until I came to the realization that it's not a must have for better photos. And also fujis crop sensors were well beyond what I needed.

Every ones needs are different...

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
May 01, 2017 11:34 |  #27

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18343225 (external link)

I really hope Fuji think long and hard about a good wideish tilt shift lens. Nothing like native glass but probably limited users. I hear that the Cambo Actus Mini works well. GFX option just out too.

Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Osa713.
May 02, 2017 13:52 |  #28

Ordered a 16-55 as my G.a.s is at an all time high. :oops:

I wanted to build a prime lens kit but I was never a prime guy. Now I will essentially have three lenses in one. Although primes always trump zooms. Stupid Fuji

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
May 02, 2017 14:15 as a reply to Osa713's post |  #29

16-55/2.8 is awesome, sharp and very fast AF +wr too.

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
May 02, 2017 14:21 as a reply to Two Hot Shoes's post |  #30

Can't wait to test it out, This lens has been sold out for the past month.
Silly Fuji needs to create more units for the U.S

sponsored links

3,832 views & 33 likes for this thread
Stupid fuji
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.