Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Apr 2017 (Saturday) 17:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Custom shooting mode confusion

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,357 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Apr 30, 2017 16:11 as a reply to post 18342962 |  #16

Also check http://blog.dojoklo.co​m ...-of-the-canon-5d-mark-iv/ (external link) for somthing you will likely find helpful.

sponsored links
DaviSto
THREAD ­ STARTER
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by DaviSto. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 30, 2017 16:17 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #17

Thanks.

[EDIT] I'd actually started a much less ambitious but basically similar exercise myself in the form of a spreadsheet to document all the custom settings that I had made on my own camera. It's a surprisingly big job. I just wanted to have my settings documented, partly to assist with troubleshooting any strange behaviour with the camera (perhaps due to conflicts) and partly to make it easier to reset the camera if it was sent in for servicing, etc.

Anyway this spreadsheet should make it easier to finish that job.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,689 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Apr 30, 2017 17:11 |  #18

DaviSto wrote in post #18342954 (external link)
Yes ... after much confusion, this is what I worked my way around to. I dial, say, C1 ... half press the shutter to activate the settings ... then dial to M, Av, or Tv as preferred ... make whatever changes I want for the particular session ... and I'm fine. It's perfectly effective once you realise that it is what you have to do and get into the habit of it.

Nowhere in the manual is there any genuine guidance on this, however.

but it won't carry on the settings from C1 into M, AV, or TV...say you're set to shoot RAW only in C1, but JPG in the other modes...switching to C1, and then dialing back to M won't carry over the settings...it will just have you shooting in JPG still...so by dialing to C1, half pressing the shutter, and then switching it back, you're essentially doing nothing...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

DaviSto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 5 months ago by DaviSto.
Apr 30, 2017 17:20 |  #19

DreDaze wrote in post #18342997 (external link)
but it won't carry on the settings from C1 into M, AV, or TV...say you're set to shoot RAW only in C1, but JPG in the other modes...switching to C1, and then dialing back to M won't carry over the settings...it will just have you shooting in JPG still...so by dialing to C1, half pressing the shutter, and then switching it back, you're essentially doing nothing...

Hmmm ... I need to check that. My impression was that after initiating Cx, switching to M, Av or Tv retained the settings from the Cx mode. But maybe my important settings outside Cx mode were sufficiently similar to my Cx mode settings that I did not notice this. I was just delighted that changes in settings were not reverting to the initial Cx values every time the camera powered down, which was causing missed (or messed up) shots.

If I'm wrong, I'll have to look for another solution.

The most obvious option would be to extend the auto power-off interval for the Cx mode (or switch off auto power-off altogether in Cx mode).

DaviSto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by DaviSto. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 30, 2017 17:46 |  #20

DreDaze wrote in post #18342997 (external link)

Yep ... checked it ... you're right. And when I think about it, I can see that this is the way it pretty much has to be given how the control system is currently configured.

So ... I've set the auto power-off in C1 to 30 minutes. I should be able to live with that. I hope my batteries can, too.

I may try experimenting with auto-update as an alternative. I may have got the potential problems with that approach a bit out of proportion.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
May 01, 2017 03:45 |  #21

OK, so now you've sorted out that entering, the leaving, C1 doesn't retain C1 settings. That's good.
You've also found the workaround of having a longer time before going to sleep. That's what I use, but I set it to four minutes.

Ever since I first got access to these custom modes, on the 40D, I've wanted a setting where you could prevent auto power down from changing your modifications, but they should not be retained when you turn the camera off or leave the Cx mode.

Anders

DaviSto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
May 01, 2017 05:12 |  #22

apersson850 wrote in post #18343285 (external link)
OK, so now you've sorted out that entering, the leaving, C1 doesn't retain C1 settings. That's good.
You've also found the workaround of having a longer time before going to sleep. That's what I use, but I set it to four minutes.

Ever since I first got access to these custom modes, on the 40D, I've wanted a setting where you could prevent auto power down from changing your modifications, but they should not be retained when you turn the camera off or leave the Cx mode.

Yes, the 30 minutes might just be overkill. :-)
I'll try a few different timings and see what works best for me.

I agree with you that there ought to be a simple setting that stops everything reverting to initial settings on auto power down. My guess is that there hasn't been all that much call for it because the Cx modes are not being used by all that many photographers. I can see that changing as more and more controls get to be customisable and the complexity and variation of settings options (e.g. for AF) increases. It would be nice to have the possibility of using your own naming for different Cx sets too. That would help deal with the issue of users forgetting how or why they set them up in the first place.

Moving off my own topic slightly ... the sheer complexity/multiplicit​y of settings options that are available on the newest cameras would make the ability to set up a camera using a computer very useful. Working through all the menus and options on the back of the camera is a really laborious process. Being able to set them up quickly on computer with some suitable piece of software to assist the process and then transferring them to camera, maybe by WiFi, would be a terrific capability IMHO.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,901 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
May 01, 2017 19:11 |  #23

Being able to store the Cx suite of settings to the card or upload to a computer would be nice too, but that is reserved for the 1D series, despite the fact that dual slots and 10fps used to be reserved for 1D models too. That means there is hope for the future. :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
May 02, 2017 13:08 |  #24

Shooting wildlife with my 7D2 I use the custom shooting modes to switch quickly between shooting in full sun, shade, and overcast conditions, as exposure can change quickly when you're shooting in different directions, locations, etc. I still have to make minor modifications to settings sometimes, but this way I have three base settings I can quickly adjust to my current situation and not have to manage exposure while following an animal from open area to cover.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

2,855 views & 2 likes for this thread
Custom shooting mode confusion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.