Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 11:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
May 06, 2017 17:52 |  #796

Wow that was a long post! I need a drink;-)a

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
May 06, 2017 19:09 |  #797

A few examples of IS enabled shots:

All are shot with the 85mm Batis. Both are shot at 1/30.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
May 06, 2017 19:11 |  #798

Few more is IS enabled. First shot at 1/45, second shot at 1/15.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Post has been edited 5 months ago by rantercsr.
May 06, 2017 19:13 |  #799

woulda been sharper with out IS :p

:-)

Canon 80D//Rebel T4i//EF50 f1.4 //EFS 24mm F2.8//EFS 18-55//EFS 10-18 //EFS 55-250
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // xf 23mm f2/ xf50 f2 WR
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

corndog ­ cabernet
Joined May 2010
State of chaos
May 06, 2017 20:12 |  #800

After reading John's incessant rants about IS, I just took the 6d with an EF100 f2.8L IS out in the garage and yard for a little reality check. 1/60 down to 1/4 sec was all quite good with IS on, hand held. w/o IS even 1/60 showed degradation and the slowest speeds were worthless. If you (John) are using those long birding/wildlife lenses w/o a (good) tripod, well….
John's global indictment of IS discounts his argument(s) IMO.

I'll leave mine on and suffer ;-)a the consequences

davesrose
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
May 06, 2017 20:52 |  #801

I've found IS for long lenses (or similar technology for other brands) is really good for extending shutter speeds that are slower than the focal length. But it also depends on your subject. Last week I was taking photos of a bicycle race. To focus on one cyclist, I'd try to have a shallow enough DOF and also found that I still had to have a relatively fast shutter speed (1/2000 was optimal). I can kind of see where John is coming from in that a photographer with an IS lens might just side with having slower minimum shutter speeds. However, IS extends a lens's versatility....and with modern IS lenses, the image quality isn't hampered perceptually. IS is not inferior....it's just that some might not take the subject into account. Or so that's my take/ consolidation of the two viewpoints! :-P

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

corndog ­ cabernet
Joined May 2010
State of chaos
May 06, 2017 21:37 |  #802

^
Subject, technique, and type of equipment should all factor in.

Here's an analogy I hope fits.
The hardest cameras to work with, for me, were auto everything P&S's. Why? Because one was left trying to figure out what the camera was doing, rather than adjusting the camera to do what you knew it should do. IS is just another proverbial arrow in the quiver. One still needs to know how to use a bow.

aezoss
Joined Nov 2013
May 06, 2017 21:59 |  #803

OVF stabilization is a benefit for me handheld @ 400mm+. A jittery viewfinder makes precise framing of static subjects difficult and tracking BIF, planes, & other fast moving stuff harder than it needs to be. Shots from my 70-200 & 100-400 are very sharp when IS is enabled. According to my better half, portraits from the 70-200 are almost too sharp.

For my highly over-caffeinated hands IS is an indispensable feature.

Lee

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
May 07, 2017 01:09 |  #804

A lot of older PAC12 photographers like to keep their IS turned off at 1/1250. Makes perfect sense to me. I wouldn't want it removed entirely though.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,611 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
May 07, 2017 11:48 |  #805

idkdc wrote in post #18348162 (external link)
A lot of older PAC12 photographers like to keep their IS turned off at 1/1250. Makes perfect sense to me. I wouldn't want it removed entirely though.

IS advantages diminish exponentially as shutter speeds go up.
When shutter speeds are already high enough to freeze subject motion,..

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
May 07, 2017 12:57 |  #806

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18348435 (external link)
IS advantages diminish exponentially as shutter speeds go up.
When shutter speeds are already high enough to freeze subject motion,..

Yeah, thanks for clarifying. I skipped a step and just assumed everyone knew that. Bad on my part as an instructor.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
May 07, 2017 13:05 |  #807

Is it premature to say that IS

is DOOMED!?!?!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
May 07, 2017 18:09 |  #808

I seemed to have sparked some comments here - well so be it. That was not my intention.

I have merely found that IS off is the better alternative for me, remember that the vast majority (though not all) of my photography is with the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS which is used hand held much of the time and it is really better with the IS off. I could list my other IS lenses and say the same - but what would that achieve? If IS is a hindrance on my 800mm then it is hardly a consideration on my 16-35 F4 L IS!

I am just trying to get others to see the improvements that I have found by turning IS off. Local photographers don't seem to have a problem with this (few still use IS/Vr/OS etc) but posters here seem to have a problem. Again "So be it". If you don't want to give it a go then that's fine - it matters nought to me.

I am happy with my decision not to use IS until I really need it, haven't found a reason to turn IS on in over 3 years, and I am rewarded with better images - just thought others might like to benefit too.

Perhaps my IS posts are badly worded? Quite possible/probable! All I can say is that of all the photographers that I know and who have tried "IS OFF" have been pleased and the majority do not use IS anymore.

Try it then decide for yourself. It may or not work for you - I suspect it will work very well:-)

Give it a go!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

cooltouch
365 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Houston, Texas
May 07, 2017 19:58 |  #809

The only IS lens I own is a kit lens that came with my old, long-in-the-tooth Canon XS, so I have no personal experiences here of any significance. But John, your comments succeeded in piquing my interests enough to comment.

Just so I understand clearly, you are stating that you are achieving better results with all of your IS lenses when shooting with them handheld? That seems quite remarkable to me. I do recall reading that IS can be a drawback if shooting when using a tripod, but since this is not the case in your situation, I suppose it doesn't apply.

About the only other question I can think of asking is, have you used only a single camera when this has occured, or has this occurred with multiple cameras? If it's happening with only one camera, then I'd be inclined to suspect that you have a problem with the way your camera is interpreting the lenses' IS input(s). It just seems to me that this is an area of much experimentation and documentation on Canon's part such that your experiences are, to say the least, atypical. I've read of too many instances, and seen too many photos from folks, when using IS-equipped long lenses, who have claimed excellent results from them.

Then again, maybe you have such rock-steady reflexes that you are doing such a good job of emulating a tripod when holding your lenses that the IS systems go kablooey. :rolleyes:

Michael
My Gear List: http://michaelmcbroom.​com/photo/gear.html (external link)
My Gallery: http://michaelmcbroom.​com/gallery3/index.php​/ (external link)
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/11308754@N08/ (external link)
My Blog: http://michaelmcbroom.​com/blogistan/ (external link)

CheshireCat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Sunny California
May 07, 2017 20:35 as a reply to johnf3f's post |  #810
banned

Sorry, I have to bring the discussion back to the subject.

This is a nice test by someone who knows what he is talking about:
http://blog.kasson.com ...th-the-180mm-apo-telyt-r/ (external link)

So it seems that at least on an old Sony A72 camera, the IBIS works great.
I expect it will work same or better on the A9.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

sponsored links

54,323 views & 621 likes for this thread
Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.