Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
Thread started 07 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 11:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Cinematic Headshots for Realtors

acidbyte7
Joined Oct 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Mar 07, 2017 11:06 |  #1

Haven't done any headshots in a while (I mostly shoot weddings) and was really excited when these women reached out to me. Had a few issues during the shoot. It was supposed to be 60 degrees and sunny that day, but it turned out to be 36 degrees and windy haha. Naturally, the wind was blowing towards the camera so their hair was blowing in their faces most of the time. There were a few points I was able to catch some "Beyonce hair wind" but it didn't last long haha. If I spun the other way the background wouldn't have been pleasing. So I worked with what I had. Here's a few frames I was able to capture. Here's the blog post for more: https://joedantone.com​/princeton-realtor-headshots/ (external link)

IMAGE: https://joedantone.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/0002.jpg

IMAGE: https://joedantone.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/0003.jpg

Fearless Photographer and ISPWP Award Winning Photographer
www.joedantone.comexternal link
Instagram: philadelphiaphotograph​er
Twitter: @joedfoto
Facebook: www.facebook.com/joeda​ntonephotography

sponsored links
CyberCat
Joined Jul 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Mar 10, 2017 08:26 |  #2

I really like this style of headshots and like the execution except for one thing: these images seem to be blurry and not tack sharp. I am not sure what caused this as the shutter speed seems to be OK, maybe a little bit more depth of field would have helped. 2.8 is very narrow on an FF body, especially with 200 mm focal length and so close to this subjects.

CyberCat

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Post has been edited 9 months ago by dmward.
Mar 10, 2017 15:42 |  #3

CyberCat wrote in post #18297140 (external link)
I really like this style of headshots and like the execution except for one thing: these images seem to be blurry and not tack sharp. I am not sure what caused this as the shutter speed seems to be OK, maybe a little bit more depth of field would have helped. 2.8 is very narrow on an FF body, especially with 200 mm focal length and so close to this subjects.

I agree that they could look sharper. When shooting with shallow DoR on a face the eye has to be the point of critical focus.
First one looks like the eye is sharp, based on eye lashes.
Second one, its hard to find a critical point of focus. The eyes look to be a bit out of focus. Don't see any blatant evidence of camera movement.
If I were doing this, I think I'd have used 5.6 or 8. Still kept the background out of focus but more DoR in the face.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

riffster
Joined Apr 2009
Ohio
Mar 11, 2017 20:36 |  #4

Looking good. I'm fine with this level of sharpness and I've just recently started to believe that sharpness is really more for photographers. People looking for headshots want a dynamite, smooth looking shot that delivers the image swiftly.

5DII | 7D | C100mkII | Tokina 16-28 2.8 I Canon 24-70L | Canon 70-200L 2.8 | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 30 1.4 www.riffster.com (external link) www.facebook.com/riffs​terproductions (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 9 months ago by mdvaden.
Mar 11, 2017 21:41 |  #5

If anybody thought the images were not sharp, they look fine on my monitor.

I like the background. Is it a place you took both women to, or a backdrop or cloth in your studio?

riffster wrote in post #18298459 (external link)
Looking good. I'm fine with this level of sharpness and I've just recently started to believe that sharpness is really more for photographers. People looking for headshots want a dynamite, smooth looking shot that delivers the image swiftly.

I did a wedding and a ballet dancer about a year and a half ago, that looked too sharp. Now instead of trying for sharper photos, I'm watching for when to back off a little.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

BlackBull
Joined Sep 2012
Lancashire
Apr 04, 2017 11:54 |  #6

I'm not sure what makes these cinematic but they are nicely posed headshots. As has been mentioned, more DoF would help making them sharper.

Lancashire Wedding Photographer ǀ Rob Georgeson Photography (external link)

s1a1om
Joined Jul 2013
Hartford, CT, USA
Apr 09, 2017 08:03 |  #7

It's not just that they look soft. To me it looks like the photographer missed the focus.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

acidbyte7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Apr 26, 2017 08:27 as a reply to CyberCat's post |  #8

Hey! Thank you for the compliments! The images are tack sharp in full res, these are downsized pretty heavily for web.

acidbyte7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Apr 26, 2017 08:34 |  #9

CyberCat wrote in post #18297140 (external link)

dmward wrote in post #18297516 (external link)
I agree that they could look sharper. When shooting with shallow DoR on a face the eye has to be the point of critical focus.
First one looks like the eye is sharp, based on eye lashes.
Second one, its hard to find a critical point of focus. The eyes look to be a bit out of focus. Don't see any blatant evidence of camera movement.
If I were doing this, I think I'd have used 5.6 or 8. Still kept the background out of focus but more DoR in the face.

BlackBull wrote in post #18319307 (external link)
I'm not sure what makes these cinematic but they are nicely posed headshots. As has been mentioned, more DoF would help making them sharper.

s1a1om wrote in post #18323291 (external link)
It's not just that they look soft. To me it looks like the photographer missed the focus.

Thank you everyone for the compliments. This is the style of headshots that I shoot. Its not for everyone but it gives a unique background rather than your typical hanging backdrop. These were buildings in the background and these were shot in a parking garage by their office. I'm shooting far enough from the subject that f2.8 covers a decent range anywhere from 135mm-200mm. On my end the images are tack sharp. These images are at 75% quality so they most likely won't look sharp to you.

trailblazer
Joined Dec 2007
May 06, 2017 19:33 |  #10

While they are nice headshots, what is a 'cinematic' headshot?

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
May 06, 2017 19:44 |  #11

Nice shots! One nit - the first woman seems to have a bit of a wonky tooth on her left side. You may want to touch it up a bit in post, as that is drawing my eye to it.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
May 07, 2017 01:28 |  #12

Like them both but also not sure what is "Cinematic" about them. Is this a compositional thing (if so what) or a colour grading thing....?

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

CyberCat
Joined Jul 2012
Budapest, Hungary
May 08, 2017 01:08 |  #13

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18348167 (external link)
Like them both but also not sure what is "Cinematic" about them. Is this a compositional thing (if so what) or a colour grading thing....?

It is the horizontal orientation, the tight crop and the extra blurred background. There is a great short summary about this on F-stoppers.

CyberCat

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 4 months ago by icor1031.
Aug 07, 2017 10:59 |  #14

Too much smoothing IMO.
First girl's forward lean is hunchbacky.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

mihazero
Joined Dec 2013
Aug 26, 2017 13:11 |  #15

While these are nice, skin is overprocessed on both. Also ... not as sharp as i would imagine proper professional photo should be.

sponsored links

3,963 views & 9 likes for this thread
Cinematic Headshots for Realtors
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.