Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 23 Nov 2016 (Wednesday) 22:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Beloved 1D Mark III to Sony A7RII

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Apr 06, 2017 15:47 as a reply to post 18307365 |  #46

Sounds right. Sony likes to release cameras back to back.

Do not reply to spam, report it!

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
Apr 20, 2017 16:44 |  #47
banned

mcluckie wrote in post #18194199 (external link)
I don't think any mirrorless camera will totally replace a DSLR. I used to keep a Leica M system and an SLR like Nikon, or eventually for me, the Leica R system. I was never a huge 35mm fan (but somehow got 5 bodies and eventually 15 lenses for the jobs that needed that format), and I don't see that digital has changed these primary uses very much. I'd suggest keeping both systems for a while and gradually making the move complete if you so desire. Personally, I would just plan on keeping both systems. Maybe you don't need complete lens overlaps if you can figure out what purpose you would have for each camera. I think the Sony would be very nice for street photography with lenses in the 24 to 50 mm range, and a full frame DSL for all the other commercial gigs, landscape, etc. (being whatever you purchased the 1D for).

Going from a 1D series to a Sony is a huge jump. I think the obvious move would be to the 5D series; if you had a 5D series and wanted things smaller/lighter, then yes, the Sony makes sense. Unless you no longer need the focusing speed, build quality, weather-sealing, battery life, and all the other reasons you bought the 1D for, then get whatever excites you.

Using adapters on EF lenses is expensive and bulky. I would plan on selling your Canon lenses and just buying the native Sony glass.

Just buy both, keep both for a while until you have some real-life, first-hand experience.

Sony a9 just slayed the DLSR top dogs.

Gear List

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
May 10, 2017 01:03 as a reply to post 18308793 |  #48

CDS, how do these batteries perform compared to the real deal?

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,719 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
May 10, 2017 09:24 |  #49

In my experience they have been very similar - identical to OEM batteries.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
May 10, 2017 17:27 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #50

Thanks CDS!

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

7,179 views & 30 likes for this thread
Beloved 1D Mark III to Sony A7RII
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.