Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk
Thread started 10 May 2017 (Wednesday) 20:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

TSA & Electronic Travel Restrictions

NebrGuy
Joined Nov 2010
Nebraska
May 10, 2017 20:30 |  #1

I hope this is the best place for this post. I searched and couldn't find anything recent that relates to my question.

I'm getting ready to head to Uganda in a couple of weeks. I noticed in the last day or two news articles starting to pop up about expanding the restrictions of electronics in carry-on luggage that is currently in place. I think the current restriction includes travel from maybe 11 north African & middle eastern countries into the United States.

Uganda is not in the current restricted zone and I don't know if it will be if added if the list is updated, but Europe seems to be a potential addition and we are flying through Amsterdam. The articles I'm finding say that it will apply to cameras, computers, tablets, basically anything bigger than a smart phone. As I understand it, if you are flying into the U.S. with restricted electronics from one of the listed countries, the electronics have to go checked.

I'm trying to figure out how to pack for such a rule if it is implemented while I'm gone. I'm wondering if the lenses would be considered "electronics" or if I would still be able to carry them with me. Has anyone had any experience with the current travel restrictions?

Flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,042 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
May 11, 2017 10:22 |  #2

Lots of rumor and speculation, and the only certainty is that its implementation will be a surprise (sort of)

Electronics Flight Ban: New US and UK regulations explained, Joe Roberts, Apr 25, 2017

"UPDATE 25/4: President Trump is said to be considering a cabin ban on laptops and larger electronic devices for flights from Europe. Read on for more.

To the shock of many, the US has announced a set of new rules which ban large electronic devices from cabin baggage. It's set to affect around 50 flights a day from airports in the Middle East, Turkey, and North Africa.

Citing attacks on planes and airports that have occurred in the past two years, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) unveiled the new regulations in partnership with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). It's part of an effort to stop terrorist groups that "continue to target commercial aviation," and comes ahead of a 69 nation conference in Washington, DC aimed at tackling the so-called Islamic State (Isis or Isil).

It doesn't stop there, either. The UK has also announced its own set of guidelines with similar regulations set to be enforced.

So what's this all about? How does it affect travellers? Is this the end of using your laptop, tablet, or shiny new Nintendo Switch on a plane? And what is Trump doing about flights from the UK?

Here's the full breakdown.

UK LAPTOP BAN – WILL TRUMP EXTEND THE RULES TO FLIGHTS FROM THE UK?
Donald Trump is said to be considering extending his cabin ban on large electronic devices to flights from Europe. The Times has reported the US President is mulling an extension to the rules that would see electronic devices larger than a smartphone banned from aircraft cabins.

No final decision has been made, according to the report, but security chiefs have reportedly been preparing for an extension to the security rules introduced last month for flights to the US from the middle-east.

If Trump goes ahead with the decision, passengers flying from Europe would have to store their larger electronic devices, including laptops and tablets, in their checked baggage.

Homeland security

A Whitehall source told The Times: "As with everything from Trump's America, there are conflicting reports about where, when and what."

Should the security measures be extended to include Europe, the change could apparently be implemented within weeks. We'll update this piece as soon as we have more information.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
39,042 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
May 11, 2017 10:35 |  #3

Even newer news! http://www.cbsnews.com ...o-being-announced-by-dhs/ (external link)

"Last Updated May 11, 2017 6:36 AM EDT

CBS News has learned the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is close to announcing an expanded ban on electronics larger than a cell phone carried on to the cabin of airlines bound for the U.S. A final decision has not been made but what's taking shape is an expanded ban that is "likely" to contain a "substantial increase in the number of airports to include major airports in Europe," according to officials familiar with the ongoing discussions.

Airlines say they've had growing indications the expanded ban could include all European airports with flights bound for the United States and have begun making preparations.

Lufthansa said in a statement that it "has internally evaluated different scenarios for possible enhancements of the ban."

U.S. officials are set to meet with airlines Thursday. Federal law enforcement and intelligence agencies have been involved in these discussions and are generally supportive of a wider ban.

DHS spokesman Dave Lapan tweeted that "no final decisions" have been made about expanding the restriction, though it's "under consideration," he wrote. "DHS continues to evaluate the threat environment and will make changes when necessary to keep air travelers safe."

"When could the announcement come?
CBS News has been told, as of now, the announcement will not be Thursday, though things are changing quickly."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

nordlysBW
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post has been edited 5 months ago by nordlysBW.
May 11, 2017 15:48 |  #4

I consider cancelling a six-week holiday trip to the States next year. Packing for long-haul plane travel is already a headache as such with weight restrictions and the existing security restrictions, but these permanent changes and extensions are becoming a real pain. I won't even tackle the higher risk for theft of expensive photo equipment and different privacy issues involved in leaving a laptop in a checked-in suitcase accessible to anybody with a TSA key.

As to added safety, well, many experts bellieve that even a mere lithium battery induced fire in the cargo hold is alrerady a major challenge for the built-in fire suppression systems, so an exploding laptop will not make things any easier.

Wilt
39,042 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
May 11, 2017 16:48 |  #5

Sounds like the time to revive film emulsions and more common processing centers, and time to revive the old film cameras is rapidly approaching! Smartphone zoom sucks, nothing like a mechanical SLR (with meter) and bag full of lenses

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
May 11, 2017 17:46 |  #6

Dang it.. we are going to Italy for 3 weeks in June. I hope they don't change anything until we get back. I wonder if buying a Pelican case is the best option if we are not allowed to keep the camera stuff in the carry-on luggage.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

NebrGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2010
Nebraska
May 11, 2017 22:30 |  #7

I did see today that the EU was meeting with TSA trying to minimize the impact on travelers.

Some of what I read made it sound as though this will take place at the last airport before flying to the U.S. So if I start home from a non-restricted country, in my case Uganda, and fly through a European country before coming to the U.S. Will I be taking my carry-on with me until I get ready to leave Europe? So many questions related to this. I wonder how many the airlines can even answer yet.

Flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Wilt
39,042 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
May 11, 2017 23:20 |  #8

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18352260 (external link)
I wonder if buying a Pelican case is the best option if we are not allowed to keep the camera stuff in the carry-on luggage.

You cannot lock the Pelican case with a lock that the TSA does not have a key to open...they will simply CUT OFF the lock, leaving the case unsecured and accessible to the baggage thieves working as contract baggage handlers, after seeing the contents of the case in the CT scanner used to inspect checked luggage.

NbrGuy wrote:
I wonder how many the airlines can even answer yet.

NONE, and all can GUESS -- like you and I do -- , until a final decision is made.

Decisions to expand the limitations in carryon electronics will thrill companies who provide business laptops to its personnel who have to travel internationally on business. They get to pay the replacement cost of the laptops stolen as a result of the new policy.

nordlysBW
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010
May 12, 2017 15:15 |  #9

Wilt wrote in post #18352469 (external link)
You cannot lock the Pelican case with a lock that the TSA does not have a key to open...they will simply CUT OFF the lock, leaving the case unsecured and accessible to the baggage thieves working as contract baggage handlers, after seeing the contents of the case in the CT scanner used to inspect checked luggage.

Theoretically there is a workaround. You could get one of those rather flimsy separate TSA locks with a loop (see for example Tinksky TSA Luggage Locks) that you thread through the holes next to the clip lock part of the Pelican, or a padlock type TSA lock that fits through these holes, but as you rightly underlined, that will not change anything to the risk of getting the gear stolen. It will only make you comply with TSA requirements.

Just an additional remark that has nothing to do with the central issue discussed in the thread: using an Air Case in the Pelican lineout can make you gain some weight if that is a concern when you fly.

sponsored links

2,872 views & 1 like for this thread
TSA & Electronic Travel Restrictions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.