Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 20 Mar 2008 (Thursday) 15:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: SEO - Search Engine Optimization

Firebot
23 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Firebot. 8 edits done in total.
Feb 16, 2017 13:54 |  #541

kenwood33 wrote in post #18275333 (external link)
That sounds great. Do you have any lessons learned that you want to share? What worked? What didn't?

The biggest takeaway I got is to take SEO seriously, and be committed to have every image with a proper description, alt titles extremely important. Text as links on your home page instead of buttons, no logo with my name as a jpg on the front page, text only. No spam, but real content that uses most words you want to be searched for. I took an initial hit on my permalinks to make mine be descriptive. /model-photography, /boudoir-photography, /engagement-photography, etc, but it was worth it.

By far, and I mean by far the most important though, is to sign up to both Google webmaster tools and Google Analytics, have your page crawled anytime you make a significant change, and provide a site map url.

I did a crawl request after I heavily changed my permalinks and after a dip for 1-2 weeks, and saw a significant jump up.

What good is your website and all the SEO work, if the search engines don't know it even exists?

Case and point, and anyone can experiment for themselves and view how they rank. Download a new browser, clear all cookie and cache and search for what people would search for.

Ran a search on google for "my city" boudoir . I am page 2 in a city with a population of 1 million. Ran it for "my city" model photography, I am on page 2 right next to one of the top model agency in the city (one I am collaborating with now).

I tried it with Bing. I never submitted a site map. I am on page 17. Guess what I will be doing this week? I will report back on how it helps in a few weeks.

Yahoo? I stopped at page 25 or so. Both those search engines are still important.

Search "Calgary boudoir" on Google. Some results may vary, but you should find my website http://www.cormierphot​o.ca (external link) around page 2. A year ago it barely existed and was not updated since 2012. My redesign was done last month.

Anybody can do the same with a little elbow grease. Those who read this thread should definitely take advantage.

sponsored links
Firebot
23 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Firebot.
Feb 16, 2017 14:23 |  #542

Another point I wanted to bring up which i made the mistake myself. Unless your potential client knows you by name and searching you by name, no one on the internet cares one bit about your name when searching on Google. They care about their interests.

People search for "mycity wedding", not "Firstname Lastname Photography". Your brand may be important, but what is more important is what you are trying to sell and that people can find what you are selling through their interests. I was searching for my page on google at first with my name just so I can see it on Google. That's great, except people are not searching that way, and at the beginning, it wasn't even the top link!

Sometimes it is harder to think like a client, but it is important to know how they think so you can present your product to them when they think it :).

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Feb 17, 2017 21:35 |  #543

Firebot wrote in post #18275708 (external link)
Another point I wanted to bring up which i made the mistake myself. Unless your potential client knows you by name and searching you by name, no one on the internet cares one bit about your name when searching on Google. They care about their interests.

People search for "mycity wedding", not "Firstname Lastname Photography". Your brand may be important, but what is more important is what you are trying to sell and that people can find what you are selling through their interests. I was searching for my page on google at first with my name just so I can see it on Google. That's great, except people are not searching that way, and at the beginning, it wasn't even the top link!

Sometimes it is harder to think like a client, but it is important to know how they think so you can present your product to them when they think it :).

What you said make sense. Do you try to target keywords using your main index page, or do you have specific pages that certain different keywords?

Gearlist

anishasharma
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 20, 2017 01:32 |  #544

thanks for the article

Firebot
23 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Feb 27, 2017 11:48 |  #545

kenwood33 wrote in post #18277089 (external link)
What you said make sense. Do you try to target keywords using your main index page, or do you have specific pages that certain different keywords?

My main page actually has very little. It has my titles and descriptive links, but that is it. My subpages however are full of them, simply to get Google to go to that page.

So my boudoir photography page as an example, would have the link boudoir-photography, a blurb about boudoir photography that shows on google, and all my images, have titles and captions that either include boudoir, lingerie, or my city in some instances. I also added a keyword section at the bottom which gets picked up by Google. Same for model photography. When a search is done through google for boudoir photography, my boudoir photography subpage is what shows up.

Oddly enough, at first my bing experiment was successful. After signing up to websmaster tools, both my boudoir and model photography pages showed up on page 3 a week later. For whatever reason I am now nowhere to be found. I will have to figure out why, it is almost as if they removed it. One thing I did learn is it is an ongoing effort, and not something you do once and think it is done as something can and will likely happen.

Tristan29photography
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2017
May 14, 2017 21:52 |  #546

I would add try to use also the tools like SemRush, Moz and Hrefs to analyse backlinks opportunities, it is important to build a strategy on it

Tristan Quevilly
Feel free to visit my new website :
Fine Art Landscape Photography (external link)

sponsored links

128,176 views & 2 likes for this thread
SEO - Search Engine Optimization
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.