Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 27 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 16:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 200mm f/2 - Do or Do NOT???

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,259 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 4 months ago by bobbyz.
May 14, 2017 20:45 |  #46

I had it my cart since Friday night and was shocked as no one else bought it as price was right. I could have tested it for 30 days but I didn't want to as I know for sure I would have kept it. And having controlled my self from spending 10K on GFX10s only a few days before, spending 4k was looking much better deal but in the end I didn't. My main concern is that needing space all the time for full length shots even when outdoors. Weight I can manage though I have started liking the less weight of my Fuji system. Size I prefer big size, folks move out of you way when shooting big white glass.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited 4 months ago by airfrogusmc.
May 14, 2017 21:33 |  #47

bobbyz wrote in post #18354753 (external link)
I had it my cart since Friday night and was shocked as no one else bought it as price was right. I could have tested it for 30 days but I didn't want to as I know for sure I would have kept it. And having controlled my self from spending 10K on GFX10s only a few days before, spending 4k was looking much better deal but in the end I didn't. My main concern is that needing space all the time for full length shots even when outdoors. Weight I can manage though I have started liking the less weight of my Fuji system. Size I prefer big size, folks move out of you way when shooting big white glass.

I shot with 500 C/Ms for a couple of decades and big Canon stuff. I would rather not be so conspicuous these days. Love my Leicas now and those insanely good wide angle lenses. I rarely get noticed when on the streets now and when shooting events and annual reports the Leica's are so much less intimidating. BTW the only Canon lens I got a good return on was the 200 2L. And I had some other really good Canon glass. Went Leica M a year and a half ago and have absolutely no regrets.

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,035 posts
Joined Feb 2009
CA
May 14, 2017 23:23 |  #48

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18354747 (external link)
I had CPS send me a 200 2L because I wanted to check it out before I dropped the $$$ on it. Within 10 minutes of shooting with it I was on ordering one from Calumet. (I had an account with them). I had tried the 135 L and it is a good lens but the 200 2L is seriously in a different league.

All Leica M now, no regrets, but the 200 2L is really the only Canon glass I miss. I do not miss the weight.

Please teach me how to request through CPS, I can't figure it out myself. TIA! I want to play with the 200 2L.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,259 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
May 15, 2017 00:59 |  #49

I never lost any money with most Canon glass that I bought/sold and I have done maybe 30-40k. 200mm is not special in that regard IMHO. Only now it is harder to sell older gen 300/400mm f2.8 IS but then it is also harder to sell 400mm f5.6 or so. Probably everyone has moved to Sony and other mirrorless and don't shoot any sports, birds etc. due to no lenses available for those.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
May 15, 2017 08:20 |  #50

Took a real hits on the 24L, 35L, 85L...

I never need anything longer than 200 and really didn't need that. Just love the way render. In opinion and experience the real gems in the Canon line up are the 200 2L, 300 2.8 and 400 2.8. I have shot with all of them. But about 65% of everything I shoot is with a 35 on FF or 135 format. In fact if pressed I could probably shoot everything but formal portraits with a 35. I tend to see at a 35mm F/L.

Leica glass is insanely good. The Leica 35 1.4 Summilux FLE ASPH is the sharpest and has the most pleasing rendering of any 35mm F/L I have shot with and I have shot with 35mm lenses both film and digital. And if you want to see some bokeh the 50 .95 Noctilux is about as good as it gets. As good in my opinion and what I consider good bokeh (which is subjective) as the 200 2L.

As far as getting something from CPS, if yo are a member just email them and it will show up when one is available. If you are near a center west coast LA, east coast NJ or midwest Itasca, Il you can just pick one up but of course like with having it sent you will need to reserve it.

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
May 15, 2017 08:50 |  #51

I've had an offer of £2,500 ($3,220) for my 200/f2.....There has been no other interest in it at all. This is less than half price of a new one. To be honest I'm surprised, the condition of mine is excellent (see photo's). I said I will consider the final offer, but I know I will miss and regret selling it. I think maybe it's not selling because there are 2 others for sale, so it's a buyers market. I'm probably impatient and should give it longer:-(

Gear List

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
May 15, 2017 09:22 |  #52

PCousins wrote in post #18355087 (external link)
I've had an offer of £2,500 ($3,220) for my 200/f2.....There has been no other interest in it at all. This is less than half price of a new one. To be honest I'm surprised, the condition of mine is excellent (see photo's). I said I will consider the final offer, but I know I will miss and regret selling it. I think maybe it's not selling because there are 2 others for sale, so it's a buyers market. I'm probably impatient and should give it longer:-(

I got just a slightly less than what I paid for it new and had it for 8 years.

I say be patient.

sponsored links

8,676 views & 18 likes for this thread
Canon 200mm f/2 - Do or Do NOT???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.