Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 15 May 2017 (Monday) 09:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Solar filters for upcoming eclipse this summer

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,806 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Texas
May 15, 2017 09:45 |  #1

So I noticed on B&H that most of their 'solar' filters are on back order. Guess everyone else is getting ready. Would it be safe to say that a 10-stop ND filter is not dark enough to shoot the sun during the eclipse? Or should be be fine? Seems like the ones I saw online are 16-stop rated

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

sponsored links
Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Celestron.
May 15, 2017 11:01 |  #2

CatchingUp wrote in post #18355126 (external link)
So I noticed on B&H that most of their 'solar' filters are on back order. Guess everyone else is getting ready. Would it be safe to say that a 10-stop ND filter is not dark enough to shoot the sun during the eclipse? Or should be be fine? Seems like the ones I saw online are 16-stop rated

What size lens you using with your camera ? Have you checked Amazon ?

https://www.amazon.com ...=c&ref=pd_sl_1hydk3​hr0e_e (external link)

or

http://www.thousandoak​soptical.com/solar.htm​l (external link)

ebiggs
Joined Oct 2012
Spring Hill, KS
May 15, 2017 15:16 |  #3

I believe the current rule says 14 stops for the Sun. But it does depend on where the Sun is in the sky.
You may want to check with a real astronomer first.

G1x, EOS 1Ds Mk III, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,414 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
May 15, 2017 16:55 |  #4

ebiggs wrote in post #18355427 (external link)
You may want to check with a real astronomer first.

Good luck if you can find one . I will admit you can email any real observatory and most of the time if you get an answer will be from a worker at the observatory . Most Astronomers will be busy and if they do answer maybe several days or over a week or two before they can so just be patience . There are plenty of topics right here on this forum that gives great advice from experience of use of equipment . I don't think anyone here that really knows his stuff is going to agree with any ND filter or welders glass . Some say a #14 welders glass but me personally will not use this type filter . All they are going to agree on is either Solar Filters made specific for sun imaging or viewing such as Baadar Solar Film made specific for Solar viewing and imaging . Other special filters such as the ones where I posted links to . All you have to do is google Solar Filters for viewing or imaging and pretty much you'll find what is used and whether or not any is available . Anyone taking a chance to use a filter not recommended takes a huge risk of loosing their vision permanently without any chance to reverse that damage and it can happen with only one second or what some may call just a quick view . Picture a magnifying glass held over a piece of paper under the sun and when you pinpoint that little tiny speck of light that starts burning that paper . Put your eye in place of that paper , what do you think happens ? Other than that a safe way to view is with a projection light like a pin hole in a piece of paper letting the light shining through it project onto another piece of paper . There are several ways to do the projection method . Some places still have solar glasses available . Like I said , just google and see if you can find any on the web that will fit your lens you use . If not and if you can find a sheet of Baadar film you can make a filter large enough to place in front of your camera lens and take a picture . Just be safe !!

https://eclipse2017.na​sa.gov/safety (external link)

Mel-S
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Eastern Idaho
May 15, 2017 17:01 |  #5

I got my solar filter at Thousand Oaks Optical.

80D, 70D, Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC HSM ART, 24-70 f2.8L, 100-400 f 4.5-5.6L, Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, TC 1.4x III, 430 EX II, Induro AM24 w/3Pod H1, CT214 w/PHQ-1, and several cold beers.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,414 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
May 15, 2017 17:16 |  #6

If anyone is still searching you might check out Kindricks . In Canada but they have USA prices listed .

http://www.kendrickast​ro.com/solarfilters.ht​ml (external link)

SiriusDoggy
Joined Aug 2006
May 15, 2017 19:09 |  #7

Look into specialty astronomy shops rather then a place like B&H.
https://www.optcorp.co​m (external link)
https://telescopes.net .../solar/solar-filters.html (external link)
http://www.telescope.c​om ...=US&keyword=solar+f​ilters (external link)

Canon 5D Mark II & Mark III 50mm 1.4, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-104 4L, 70-200mm 2.8 IS L, 100-400mm 5.6-6.3L, 600mm 4L, 24mm 3.5 T/S L, 16mm 2.8 Zenitar Fisheye, Rokinon 24mm, 35mm, 85mm T1.5 Cine set

SiriusDoggy
Joined Aug 2006
May 15, 2017 19:10 |  #8

http://www.baader-planetarium.de ...ofifolie/sofi_start​_e.htm (external link)

Canon 5D Mark II & Mark III 50mm 1.4, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-104 4L, 70-200mm 2.8 IS L, 100-400mm 5.6-6.3L, 600mm 4L, 24mm 3.5 T/S L, 16mm 2.8 Zenitar Fisheye, Rokinon 24mm, 35mm, 85mm T1.5 Cine set

KeithS
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
May 16, 2017 11:31 |  #9

My question is whether a regular telephoto lens can be used effectively. I can go as large as the 600mm f/4. I'm not so much concerned with the eclipse, but I am fascinated with the photos and detail when using the hydrogen alpha filters. Even if this would work, the HA filters I've seen are in the 1-2" range, and not inexpensive.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,414 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by Celestron. 2 edits done in total.
May 16, 2017 12:08 |  #10

KeithS wrote in post #18356131 (external link)
My question is whether a regular telephoto lens can be used effectively. I can go as large as the 600mm f/4. I'm not so much concerned with the eclipse, but I am fascinated with the photos and detail when using the hydrogen alpha filters. Even if this would work, the HA filters I've seen are in the 1-2" range, and not inexpensive.

You can use any size lens you want to use , bigger the better . But use proper Solar filters for imaging . Without Solar filters the only time you can image the sun eclipse is the two minute time section when the sun is totally covered during the eclipse . Any other time you risk loosing your eye sight without solar filters when you look through the viewer of your camera . Next full moon go out and look at the moon through your camera and 600mm and that will give you an idea how big your projection will be for the eclipse . Also remember too with a full moon being very bright and using a 600mm lens that moon can be very bright leaving a black spot in your eye for a time span after you turn away from the viewer ;) .

Here is a chart for size comparison with different size lens.

http://mreclipse.com ...image/SE-FieldOfView1.GIF (external link)

CatchingUp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,806 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Texas
May 16, 2017 16:39 |  #11

I am planning to do time lapse shots so if the frame is too tight on the sun I don't want to risk it moving out of the frame during the 2 1/2 minutes. I was thinking about using my 70-200 with 1.4 ext on crop camera with would be...almost 450mm focal length?

I'd bring my 400 but hate to think what the filter would cost for that.

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,414 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
May 16, 2017 17:23 |  #12

CatchingUp wrote in post #18356306 (external link)
I am planning to do time lapse shots so if the frame is too tight on the sun I don't want to risk it moving out of the frame during the 2 1/2 minutes. I was thinking about using my 70-200 with 1.4 ext on crop camera with would be...almost 450mm focal length?

I'd bring my 400 but hate to think what the filter would cost for that.

Good luck ! I have never seen a timelapse on a total eclipse . That would be interesting if it can be done .

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,414 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
May 16, 2017 17:27 |  #13

Here's one I just found . Not sure I would like a timelapse unless it could be done really good .

http://www.bbc.com ...otal-eclipse-in-indonesia (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
May 16, 2017 17:57 |  #14

CatchingUp wrote in post #18356306 (external link)
I am planning to do time lapse shots so if the frame is too tight on the sun I don't want to risk it moving out of the frame during the 2 1/2 minutes. I was thinking about using my 70-200 with 1.4 ext on crop camera with would be...almost 450mm focal length?.

I'd like to do the same. From what I have read, the exposure changes very quickly and requires frequent settings changes.

Do you use the iOS app PhotoPills?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sandwedge
Joined Aug 2011
Atlanta, GA
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by sandwedge. 2 edits done in total.
May 17, 2017 09:28 |  #15

Thousand Oaks solar filter film was available as recently as a couple weeks ago on Amazon. It's not too hard to make a workable filter out of it.

Also, I always hesitate to say this, but...

I've imaged the Sun using a 10 stop filter - when shooting the International Space Station solar transits. However, you must understand the risks...

VERY IMPORTANT : You risk going blind if you attempt to look through the viewfinder at the Sun, even with the 10 stop filter. Let me rephrase that. You'll probably go blind if you do so. I urge anyone attempting solar imaging to do thourough research from reputable sources when making their decisions.

I use live view to attain focus (works better and is safer if you have a tilt screen). In this scenario, you are only risking destroying your equipment if something goes wrong. The internet says your equipment will be damaged. Mine hasn't been yet.

If you are wondering why I do this, it's because solar filters cut out so much light that I can't get a good shutter speed/ISO setting for the ISS, which is traveling at 17,500 mph.

For the upcoming eclipse, I WILL be using a solar filter

ISS Transit:

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
80D, 7D, 5D, t2i, sx50, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

sponsored links

9,422 views & 42 likes for this thread
Solar filters for upcoming eclipse this summer
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.