Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk
Thread started 07 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 14:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Post processing for large motocross event

flipcrab85
Joined Oct 2009
Mar 07, 2017 14:02 |  #1

got a question for all of you. I will be shooting a (motocross/dirt bike) loretta's qualifier next weekend. will be 3 solid says of shooting. the question is, ive shot all day event before but this will be my first of 3 days of 10+ hours of coverage. Ive worked with tight deadlines before, but in this case the event wraps on Sunday afternoon and my content is due Monday morning to go to print on Tuesday. How would you manage that high volume of photos. Go though each day as you go or just wait until its wrapped up and then sort and process. Thanks in advance.

Nikon D4, D3s, Nikkor 28-70 2.8, Nikkor 80-200 2.8 af-s, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 14mm 2.8

Grand ­ Dad
Joined Jun 2009
El Cajon, CA
Mar 11, 2017 06:46 |  #2

I go through each days shots that night. It makes for long days, but at least I have content to provide even if I fall asleep on the last night. :) I also find that I have to force myself to be very selective with my time in these cases. If the shot doesn't blow me away as I rapidly screen past, I won't take the time to process them. After I deliver the content, I will then go back and process them again, more slowly, for myself and my other customers. Good luck.

Larry

http://lateapexphoto.c​omexternal link

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Jethr0.
Mar 15, 2017 07:36 |  #3

I do the same as grand dad.

I cull stinkers during any downtime throughout the day. They need to be obvious stinkers to cull at the camera.

In the evening I download the pics to my laptop and mark my keepers/picks of the say with 5 stars in Lightroom.
I go back and filter on 5 star rating and edit those only.

Let us know how it goes for you!

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

erikfig
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Joined May 2012
Orlando, FL
May 17, 2017 14:34 |  #4

I will go through this this weekend and was asking same thing to myself. Good find.

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
May 17, 2017 15:32 |  #5

What do you need to deliver on Monday, the best of the best (say 20-30 photos) or all of them?

Either way, I would be going through them every evening, but if I needed to deliver them all I might even try to download and if possible, go through them as I have downtime throughout the weekend.

I find it valuable to do this anyway as it gives you a chance to see what is working and what is not so that you can make any adjustments the next day.

If you are using Lightroom you might want to create an import preset for this event with any adjustment that is fairly universal. I will often create a starting point that has the highlights pulled down a bit, the shadows raised a bit, clarity up a bit, sharpening to the range I normally use and lens correction turned on. I find this saves me a lot of clicking when I get to my keepers, especially if the lighting and exposures are fairly consistent.

You may also like to add a little contrast and/or saturation, etc. anything that you end up doing to most every picture anyway. You can also add metadata to every picture with a preset.

I find I need every extra second when working a job like yours and a preset can help a lot.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

883 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post processing for large motocross event
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.